Star Wars

Started by thecolorsblend, Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 08:40

Previous topic - Next topic
Lucas has said (over and over again) that his films rely more on visuals and music to tell the story than dialogue. Like Giles says, I'd like to test that theory. So I've been working on a silent/instrumental edition of Attack of the Clones. May or may not finish it (or do anything with it if I do) but I'm interested to see just how well the story can be told without dialogue. We'll see how it goes.

Apologies if these have already been posted. But they needed to be.

Don't forget this one, I liked it so much I bought a MP3 of it off Amazon.

For a fan-made production, this is quite impressive. A lot of hard work and technical ingenuity went into it.

I like how they've mapped Guinness' features onto the stuntman's body. A similar technique was used to place the actors' faces onto the stunt duellists' bodies in the Prequel Trilogy, most notably during Dooku's fight scenes. It makes me wonder if something like this could be incorporated into future Blu-ray releases of Episode IV. I'm sure Lucas would approve.

Now don't get me wrong – I'm sick of the alterations to the Original Trilogy and I refuse to purchase the Blu-rays until the theatrical cuts are released. And I'm happy with the Obi-Wan vs. Vader duel in the original cut of the film. But if you are going to have an updated version featuring new effects, and you want the fight choreography to be more stylistically consistent with the other films, then surely this is the sort of alteration that makes sense.

Ideally they could release a 2-disk Blu-ray of each of the Original Trilogy films. Disc 1 could contain the original version for old fogies like me, and disc 2 could contain the 'Saga Cut' with all of Lucas' alterations and the new Obi-Wan vs. Vader duel. That way fans can pick whichever version they prefer.

I'm pretty much with SN. My objection to the Special Editions is that they don't appear to be of a piece with the prequels in any way whatsoever. You get 99% of the limitations of the original trilogy mixed with some really horrible CGI. It's just a waste.

I oppose altering the trilogy. But if the trilogy must be altered, I don't see why greater care couldn't have been used like this upgraded lightsaber duel. It is consistent with the prequels and is more dynamic. This technology could easily have been used for the 2004 DVD release. Of course, the problem is that this requires a lot of time and money. Lucas has mostly preferred to alter the original trilogy on the cheap. The results are commensurate with that approach too, I'd say.

The nice thing is that fan editors can use bits and pieces of this duel for their fan edits. Whether or not that's a good thing is above my pay grade.

Very well done sequence with first rate digital enhancements and choreography.

Well, that was pretty sweet.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Ugh. MCU head Kevin Feige is reportedly developing a new Star Wars movie.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2019/film/news/marvel-kevin-feige-star-wars-movie-1203350053/amp/

This means we will get even more awkward MCU-style humour, as we got In TLJ. No thank you.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 27 Sep  2019, 16:33
Ugh. MCU head Kevin Feige is reportedly developing a new Star Wars movie.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2019/film/news/marvel-kevin-feige-star-wars-movie-1203350053/amp/

This means we will get even more awkward MCU-style humour, as we got In TLJ. No thank you.
Lucas personally selected Kathleen Kennedy to take over operations at Lucasfilm after the sale. Kennedy has always been a hands-on executive producer. She's a creative force. That characteristic along with her long friendship with Lucas is probably why Lucas (wrongly) believed she'd be a natural choice to replace him.

But you know what happened next only too well.

For Feige to be handed the reins to anything related to Star Wars can only be interpreted as a sidelining of Kennedy. There's no positive spin to put on this. Kennedy has ruined the franchise and now Disney seems to be taking action on that. And if Feige's film(s) outperform Kennedy's... well, Disney will have some hard choices to make. Feige might be able to produce a Star Wars film here and there but the MCU has been his baby for a long time. Do they dare take Feige away from the MCU to focus on Star Wars? Do they dare not do it?

Either way, Kennedy is clearly on the outs with the suits at Disney. I think it's wonderful. It's no more than she deserves.

I saw this tweet from a user called Dataracer sharing screenshots of Disney CEO Bob Iger's autobiography.

He revealed:

• Lucas doesn't like Disney's take on Star Wars. He was very unhappy with TFA, lamented its lack of originality.
  • Lucas wrote outlines for each film in the sequel trilogy, which Iger and co felt they were under no obligation to use them.
  • Lucas was very upset when he was informed none of his outlines would be used and learned what the sequel trilogy was going to be. He was even under the impression that Disney made a tacit promise that his outlines would be used, but this wasn't apparently communicated to him very well.

This reads as if they tricked Lucas into selling the franchise.

https://twitter.com/Dataracer117/status/1176249071172030464
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Lucas should blame Kathleen Kennedy for not looking out for his best interests in his ideas for the sequel trilogy.