what r ur personal wants from the next BATMAN REBOOT series??

Started by Batman999, Sat, 3 Nov 2012, 10:38

Previous topic - Next topic

What suit do u prefer?

All Black rubber suit
5 (55.6%)
Black and grey suit
4 (44.4%)
Blue and grey suit
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 10 Nov  2012, 13:08
Honestly, I wouldn't mind at all if the reboot takes 2, 3 or 4 plus years to get off the ground. I'm a fan but TDKR really left a sour taste in my mouth. I want another movie but when I'm hungry for it. I don't have a large need at this stage, with the 60s show, Burtonverse, BTAS or Arkham games sating my fix whenever it arises.

Really? That's interesting. I had a slightly different reaction. I liked the new movie but I very much want the upcoming new movies to come no later than about 3-4 years. I love going to see new Batman films. However I want the next iteration to come because I am getting tired of all this Nolan raving and I want somebody to come along and prove that Batman movies will still be great long after Nolan. A lot of sci-fi magazine publications are convinced that we've reached the pinnacle of what a Batman movie is and therefore why bother making any more? In fact why bother even watching earlier Batman movies anymore? It's frustrating and silly to read and is actually even making me dislike Nolan's work when I previously loved it. I think it's dangerous for the character simply latching onto a certain style like the Dark Knight trilogy and not wanting a change. I want more movies and more so I want them to be different. I don't want a new director coming along and doing the same thing and have realistic military vehicles as Batman's arsenal anymore.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sun, 11 Nov  2012, 15:42
Really? That's interesting. I had a slightly different reaction. I liked the new movie but I very much want the upcoming new movies to come no later than about 3-4 years. I love going to see new Batman films. However I want the next iteration to come because I am getting tired of all this Nolan raving and I want somebody to come along and prove that Batman movies will still be great long after Nolan. A lot of sci-fi magazine publications are convinced that we've reached the pinnacle of what a Batman movie is and therefore why bother making any more? In fact why bother even watching earlier Batman movies anymore? It's frustrating and silly to read and is actually even making me dislike Nolan's work when I previously loved it.

I totally agree and share this sentiment. I love Nolan's films too,  but it's always grating when their praise comes at the expense of Burton's, or followed by statements that Batman films can't get better.

----

As for the topic, my only real "want" would be to keep it dark. Take the "dark" out of Batman, and he's a silly, silly character. Tragedy was what created him and fear is supposed to be his primary weapon. Comic book "dark" doesn't contradict "fun" (all Batman films are lots of fun, or am I missing something?) Catering to children would be a mistake too, this is recipe for disaster, I think Burton's and Nolan's films were kid-friendly enough, without being made specifically for children.

i couldnt agree more with the last 2 statements. i love the nolan films (i'm english btw) but the snobbery around them is annoying. i mean seriously are you telling me they won't make any more great batman films in the future. let's flash back to the 60s. can u imagine if after 5 or 6 James Bond films someone wud have said "right that's it- its reached it's pinnacle so lets not do anymore".

absolute nonsense it really is. batman existed long before nolan and it will exist long after him aswell. lot's more batman please!!

i don;t really get the 'kids-orientated thingy'. i watched batman 89 when i was like 5 years old and i absolutely loved it. still love it to this day. i'm in my late 20s now.

I think there's room for everything. Batman is a dynamic character. He can survive it. Why not do a fun Batman movie? The Nolan movies pretty much covered the darkness. Why not change it up and give audiences something new?

On a related note, I sent a Nolanite into a meltdown a few days ago. Basically I challenged the premise of Bane wanting to destroy Gotham City. "They passed the Dent Act and they cleaned up the city. Sure, there was still street crime but the mob had finally been put down". His answer was that all of that was predicated on a lie... to which I responded that Bane didn't know that until after he'd already come to Gotham. Apparently that was too much. The guy seemed to short circuit. It was as if finding out someone out there doesn't worship at the Nolan altar was like being confronted with the Liar's Paradox. Poor, sad, deluded bastard...

Id like to see all the best comics used in this new reboot , eg. start it with him just maybe 6 months in as batman and do a mix of the early stories then use the likes of the long halloween , dark knight returns , death in the family , under the red hood and knightfall  now that would be a compelling sequince of stories for the films if they could work then to link up ......id like to see burton back directing  and keaton do the role for returns ...... id like them to keep it all traditional with none of the futuristic changes etc.......

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  9 Dec  2012, 00:48
I think there's room for everything. Batman is a dynamic character. He can survive it. Why not do a fun Batman movie? The Nolan movies pretty much covered the darkness. Why not change it up and give audiences something new?

The Nolan movies were lots of fun, and as for their darkness.. well, it wasn't the "Gargoyle" kind of darkness some of us are so very fond of. Not to mention, it's exactly that kind of darkness that results in more fun movies (see: Burton's Bat). I think Batman's dark and angsty side is an essential element of the character and it does not contradict "fun" because it's still a guy in a weird suit with cool gadgets in a stylized city. I have some nostalgic love for Batman Forever, but the key word is nostalgic, wouldn't want to see something with its tone today.

The ludicrous thing for me regarding "Nolanites" (a word slightly more annoying than the dreaded "reboot" one) is how they and even some critics for that matter, can call The Dark Knight Rises a "classic" and a "masterpiece".

If this film is both of those then so is Howard the Duck's movie adaptation.

Let's be realistic there are merely 2 classic Batman films I think that also deserve the "masterpiece" term. I think The Dark Knight is truly a masterpiece and on it's way to certainly being a modern classic. It's follow up while entertaining is certainly not. Much as I love Batman Returns it can never be constituted professionally a "classic" due to it's infamous divided reaction. For some it didn't live up to expectations and even for comic creators violated the Batman character.

The true classic is Tim Burton's 1989 original. Sure it's script is not groundbreaking but it's visual style was. It had a massive impact on people's imagination and ticket sales and became the template for all to follow. You can't ignore success and inspiration of that magnitude. That is more valuable to me than a recent Bale sequel that did split opinion.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sun,  9 Dec  2012, 23:14
The ludicrous thing for me regarding "Nolanites" (a word slightly more annoying than the dreaded "reboot" one) is how they and even some critics for that matter, can call The Dark Knight Rises a "classic" and a "masterpiece".
People can say that if they want, but TDKR is in no way shape of form either of those labels. TDKR probably annoys me more than any other Batman product. It could have been good, but the execution and direction taken was lacking. After all the hype, TDKR did not blow people away as expected. Most people I have liaised with were underwhelmed. Nolan was not a faultless messiah by any stretch. Though in all honesty, TDKR makes me reflect more kindly upon BB and TDK, which are leagues better in comparison. Granted, this series was never my cup of tea, but it was a downbeat way it to end.

The golden age was truly B89/BR and BTAS, which was directly influenced by the movies. Batman was great well before Nolan.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 10 Dec  2012, 13:04
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sun,  9 Dec  2012, 23:14
The golden age was truly B89/BR and BTAS, which was directly influenced by the movies. Batman was great well before Nolan.

Preach it, brother !
"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread."