Bill Finger story on NPR

Started by The Joker, Sun, 12 Aug 2012, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

This weekend NPR did a small story on Batman's co-creator Bill Finger.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/11/158494206/batmans-biggest-secret-no-its-not-bruce-wayne

Nothing too revealing for those who have read up on Bill Finger previously/elsewhere, but this bit here: "The Joker? "That's also hotly disputed. It was definitely a group effort, but I give Bill ... the majority of the credit," Nobleman says. "He wrote the first story, he came up with the look, although someone else drew it.""

'Someone else,' huh?

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I always wondered if that Simpsons episode about the guy who really created Itchy and Scratchy was inspired by the story of Bill Finger.

Joker - I was merely being economical because it was a radio interview. I think you'll find my book highly respectful of Jerry Robinson.

Will be checking out the book very soon.

Appreciate all the info, BTW.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Silver Nemesis:  I think that story was really based on Ub Iwerks, the person who really animated Steam Boat Willie, and had a big part in bringing early Disney to the screen.  After his dissolved relationship with Walt Disney, his studio created some wonderful animated shorts, an their own wisecracking animal character (Flip the Frog) but didn't get anywhere near the recognition and notoriety.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Sadly I've never heard of Ub Iwerks. I'll have to do some proper research into the subject when I get the time.