Comic Book Influences on The Dark Knight Rises (SPOILERS)

Started by BatmAngelus, Mon, 30 Jul 2012, 03:52

Previous topic - Next topic
I haven't actually read The Cult right the way through since 2008, so everything I included in The Dark Knight Rises feature was recalled from memory. BatmAngelus' analysis is a lot more in-depth. These new observations help validate the comparison even further.

QuoteI do too since you mention it. I realize No Man's Land is the more popular and well-known story but I think the real influence is The Cult. As you say, you can draw a much straighter line between TDKRises and The Cult than NML.

Agreed. I never thought No Man's Land was that great a story anyway. And I certainly never felt as though Batman was really broken by what he went through in those books. It always seemed like he had at least a modicum of control over the situation. But in The Cult he is well and truly broken. It's one of the bleakest, most harrowing Batman comics I've ever read. It should really have its own thread on the Graphic Novels board.

Ask and you shall receive!
http://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=2344.0

Now that the movie is available to own, we should edit the feature with these new comparisons, add screenshots, and put everything in chronological order like our other features.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

QuoteI'd say that's a closer match.  I'm going to get into the 1960s series soon, from whatever episodes I can find.  Which episode(s) does Batman use that bat-magnet?

I seem to recall the bat-magnet looks different each time it shows up, normally resembling a giant cartoon magnet. But that particular image where it looks like a rifle is taken from 'The Bookworm Turns'/'While Gotham City Burns'.

QuoteNow that the movie is available to own, we should edit the feature with these new comparisons, add screenshots, and put everything in chronological order like our other features.

Sure thing. I should have some free time this weekend. By the way, I don't suppose you ever heard back from Michael Uslan about our comic analysis features?

I will take the feature offline later tonight (need to change a disclaimer for the missing feature) so you guys can work on it.

Thanks, Paul.  Silver Nemesis and I will get working.  Prepare for a lot of image uploads!
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  2 May  2013, 11:03
QuoteI'd say that's a closer match.  I'm going to get into the 1960s series soon, from whatever episodes I can find.  Which episode(s) does Batman use that bat-magnet?

I seem to recall the bat-magnet looks different each time it shows up, normally resembling a giant cartoon magnet. But that particular image where it looks like a rifle is taken from 'The Bookworm Turns'/'While Gotham City Burns'.
Thanks!  I'll check it out.

QuoteNow that the movie is available to own, we should edit the feature with these new comparisons, add screenshots, and put everything in chronological order like our other features.

Sure thing. I should have some free time this weekend. By the way, I don't suppose you ever heard back from Michael Uslan about our comic analysis features?
Sadly, no.  I've only heard from his son, who thought they were great.  I'll email him again when we get this one revised (and probably again after that when we do Begins and Dark Knight).

Oh...I have a possible (kinda random) connection for Begins when we do it :-)

QuoteSadly, no.  I've only heard from his son, who thought they were great.  I'll email him again when we get this one revised (and probably again after that when we do Begins and Dark Knight).

I'm glad to hear his son enjoyed them. I'll bet he shares his dad's knowledge and appreciation of the Batman mythology. But it would be nice if Michael himself could give us a comment we could include. I know I've said this a billion times, but for me the Holy Grail would be a quote confirming the influences on Batman Returns. If we could just get one sentence confirming that Detective Comics #58 and Catwoman: HSK were consciously referenced, then I could die a happy geek. Waters and Burton obviously aren't going to give us that information, so I reckon Uslan is our only hope.

QuoteOh...I have a possible (kinda random) connection for Begins when we do it :-)

Now I'm intrigued...