Comic Book Influences on The Dark Knight Rises (SPOILERS)

Started by BatmAngelus, Mon, 30 Jul 2012, 03:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Oh damn, I would, but I left the book at my parents' place two days ago after I finished rereading it, so I don't have it on me to scan.

Here's hoping Silver Nemesis can provide one for us.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Ta-daaa!

That's an interesting article, Alleys. You did a good job matching the panels to images from the movie.

One thing though –

QuoteSelina Kyle used to have a blonde companion (Holly/Jen) that she sort of took under her wings. Or claws if you will. Panel from Batman #460

Not to nitpick, but Holly is usually depicted as a redhead, not a blonde. And the girl in that panel you used from Batman #460 isn't Holly. It's a different character called Arizona. There is a flashback panel of Holly in that same issue, so you could always use that. I think the Arizona comparison is actually more appropriate, since she looks more like Jen and isn't a prostitute (or at least it's never explicitly stated she's a prostitute). So I can see why you used it.

And it's Silver Nemesis to the rescue!

While it's more likely a coincidence than an influence, there's certainly a similarity in the fact that both Bane and The Sensei are leaders of the League, saying it to someone they've taken prisoner.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Wed, 22 Aug 2012, 14:26 #33 Last Edit: Wed, 22 Aug 2012, 14:28 by GothamAlleys
Thanks! Yeah, I actually meant to compare Jen to Arizona, but never could remember her name, so I just assumed its Holly

First off, beautiful article.  Whatever issues I have with the recent Nolan film, I will certainly give nods for the film included as many comic references--many of them direct--that the film included.  I wish they had done things differently, of course, but ultimately I think the film is a defend-able Batman film--just don't ask *me* to defend it.  ;)

QuoteAgreed 100%.  I would've happily traded all the comic book connections to Dark Knight Returns, No Man's Land, and Knightfall in exchange for a better follow-up on TDK's ending and dealing with the ramifications of Batman and Gordon's decision to cover up Dent's crimes.

Yes. I also want to echo that Prey would have been awesome.  Missed opportunity. 

Gregg Bray is back!   ;D

Another thing to add that occurred to me.  This was not the first time that Robin had been reimagined as an adult investigator who figures out Bruce Wayne is Batman and pays him a visit at Wayne Manor.

In the Elseworlds comic, Batman: Nine Lives, Dick Grayson is reimagined as an ex-cop/private eye investigating the murder of Selina Kyle, who concludes that Bruce Wayne is Batman.  He arrives at Wayne Manor and meets Bruce Wayne, dressed in a robe:

Probably coincidental, I know, but I couldn't help but see the connection.

sh*t dudes! Kevin Smith has read your feature!

Go to his Fatman on Batman podcast

http://traffic.libsyn.com/fatmanonbatman/fatman-10.mp3

24mins and 20secs in and he talks about the feature. he can't remember the name of this site (sadly) but does say it is a batman movie centric site.

;D

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Sat,  1 Sep  2012, 23:35sh*t dudes! Kevin Smith has read your feature!

Go to his Fatman on Batman podcast

http://traffic.libsyn.com/fatmanonbatman/fatman-10.mp3

24mins and 20secs in and he talks about the feature. he can't remember the name of this site (sadly) but does say it is a batman movie centric site.
In some ways, I kind of like that he blanked on the name. "It's not [The Other Forum]."

I can live with that.

oh and at the 52 min 20 sec mark

we are now officially "That One Website"

This is what happens when you run a smartly written, all Bat-inclusive, celebratory cite--that also showcases an incredibly dedicated, thorough and excited/inquisitive posters and friends.

Well done Ral!  :)