what kind of film should the next one be? (TDKR spoilers)

Started by riddler, Sun, 22 Jul 2012, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of film should the next one be?

sequel to batman returns
22 (24.7%)
sequel to batman and robin
6 (6.7%)
sequel to the dark knight rises
21 (23.6%)
flash forward (skip over continuity)
4 (4.5%)
loose sequel (have bruce wayne start out already as batman)
14 (15.7%)
complete reboot with origin
7 (7.9%)
complete reboot without origin
38 (42.7%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: Fri, 17 Apr 2015, 15:46

What I want? A Batman film that's tonally more Burton/Schumacher than Nolan. And start right off with the villains being Clayface and Man-Bat.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Fri, 25 Jan  2013, 06:37What I want? A Batman film that's tonally more Burton/Schumacher than Nolan. And start right off with the villains being Clayface and Man-Bat.
Can somebody buy this guy a beer already?

New villains are clearly key to the next iteration. Nolan started very well indeed with Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul. I wanted him to handle more foes that have never reached the screen before. I never wanted him to follow up that Joker card ending of Begins. I admit it gave me a thrill at the time but I was vastly disappointed when The Joker was announced in 2007.

It's interesting I think that Nolan on taking the job in 2004 chose deliberately not to use any villains that had previously been seen in earlier movies.

In the making of the Dark Knight Trilogy book there is a section in which David Goyer made suggestions to Nolan of what new villains they could have used for Begins. Nolan rejects every one of them (I can imagine him raising an eyebrow at the mention of each character). Names such as Mad Hatter, Killer Croc, Calendar Man and Clayface were all stated to him. It's very funny to read at how he shot each of them down but nevertheless hurtful that he never had the faith to go for something totally new and obscure for the later sequels.

Been thinking about this a bit lately. A page one reboot just seems like a fundamentally bad idea to me because inevitably comparisons will be drawn to the Nolan series. Whether anybody likes it or not, that is Batman in cinema for people right now.

So why not do a continuity-agnostic film (or series of films) which riff on everything that's come before? One way of suggesting/supporting that concept is the Batcave. Say Bruce goes down there at some point and the camera pans around the Batcave...

... and we see all or most of the Batmobiles from the other movies in there? Adam West, Batman 1989/Returns, Forever, & Robin as well as the Tumbler?

Since we're at it...

... why not do the same with the various Batman costumes up to this point? The Adam West stuff may not fit in too well (although maybe it would) but the other costumes could all be used (and, yes, include the O'Donnell and Silverstone costumes too). The idea is to validate all previous eras but endorse/continue none of them. This has been done in the comics to no end in the past several years so I don't see a reason why something similar couldn't also be done on film.

If a new film goes back to being only for the family, then hopefully it's something like this. ???
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 23 Mar  2013, 05:25
Been thinking about this a bit lately. A page one reboot just seems like a fundamentally bad idea to me because inevitably comparisons will be drawn to the Nolan series. Whether anybody likes it or not, that is Batman in cinema for people right now.

So why not do a continuity-agnostic film (or series of films) which riff on everything that's come before? One way of suggesting/supporting that concept is the Batcave. Say Bruce goes down there at some point and the camera pans around the Batcave...

... and we see all or most of the Batmobiles from the other movies in there? Adam West, Batman 1989/Returns, Forever, & Robin as well as the Tumbler?

Since we're at it...

... why not do the same with the various Batman costumes up to this point? The Adam West stuff may not fit in too well (although maybe it would) but the other costumes could all be used (and, yes, include the O'Donnell and Silverstone costumes too). The idea is to validate all previous eras but endorse/continue none of them. This has been done in the comics to no end in the past several years so I don't see a reason why something similar couldn't also be done on film.

I really like your ideas !
"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread."

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sat, 23 Mar  2013, 22:03
this would be a great idea for a game
Definitely. People are always wanting movie bat suit skins in the Arkham series, and to drive the vehicles. Straight up giving a spread of filmic history in an original type story would sell like hotcakes.

Sun, 24 Mar 2013, 05:25 #118 Last Edit: Sun, 24 Mar 2013, 05:38 by The Laughing Fish
I for one am getting sick of kevlar Batsuits. I don't care if it looks absurd that Batman doesn't wear a bulletproof costume - I wouldn't mind if they design a more flexible costume that helps the actor move easily.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

IMO you could have some REAAALLY cool NOIR effects in the cave which has been posted above. via the use of glass, ultra-sonic beams, lenses waterfalls etc,,,

some really freaky/cool distorted images of him looking gigantic/normal-sized whilst walking through the cave. just to sort of disorient and freak the audience out.