what kind of film should the next one be? (TDKR spoilers)

Started by riddler, Sun, 22 Jul 2012, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of film should the next one be?

sequel to batman returns
22 (24.7%)
sequel to batman and robin
6 (6.7%)
sequel to the dark knight rises
21 (23.6%)
flash forward (skip over continuity)
4 (4.5%)
loose sequel (have bruce wayne start out already as batman)
14 (15.7%)
complete reboot with origin
7 (7.9%)
complete reboot without origin
38 (42.7%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: Fri, 17 Apr 2015, 15:46

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  4 Jan  2013, 22:06I don't think it has to equal The Brave and the Bold, but more fun is definitely needed. And I'm not talking about Nolan's exact tone with a few more one liners thrown in.
If it was along the lines of that The Batman series from about 2004 or 5, I'd be okay with that. That wasn't TBATB but it wasn't as gritty and depressing as Nolan's movies either. It'd be a good middleground for a reboot to tread.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  6 Jan  2013, 08:27
If it was along the lines of that The Batman series from about 2004 or 5, I'd be okay with that. That wasn't TBATB but it wasn't as gritty and depressing as Nolan's movies either. It'd be a good middleground for a reboot to tread.
That's the kind of thing I would be wanting. I firmly believe there has to be a degree of fun/charm to Batman - like the wonder of the Batmobile cruising back to the cave with Vicki in 89. There's a reason why Bruce dons the cowl - but he still has cool vehicles, gadgets, tons of money and a mansion. Maybe you don't necessarily want to be the guy as much as say Superman, but you get a kick out of seeing Batman being Batman. TDKR touched upon these things - driving the batpod into oncoming traffic and escaping in The Bat against the odds for example. But there wasn't enough of it. I wouldn't want Batman to become a generic superhero but  Schumacher's action sequences actually are more in line with what I'd like from a reboot. Like ejecting from a frozen batmobile in the air and gliding away after Freeze.

So by "fun" you all mean more fanciful sets, more screentime with Batman in suit, more exciting action, better fight sequences... not a lighter, goofier tone... We are in the same batskiboat.

(Sabretooth Joker from "The Batman" was a crime against good taste)

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun,  6 Jan  2013, 22:14So by "fun" you all mean more fanciful sets, more screentime with Batman in suit, more exciting action, better fight sequences... not a lighter, goofier tone... We are in the same batskiboat.
Sure. Nolan went to pains to avoid certain stuff that makes Batman cool so a reboot ought to bring those elements back in- a real Batmobile, an enormous Batcave, more bat-motif gadgets, etc.

But if they want to leave Robin out altogether, I will totally, absolutely, fully, unquestioningly and completely support their decision.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun,  6 Jan  2013, 22:14(Sabretooth Joker from "The Batman" was a crime against good taste)
Can't really argue that. I understand they didn't want to compete with Mark Hamill (and who can blame them?) but still... wow...

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun,  6 Jan  2013, 22:14
So by "fun" you all mean more fanciful sets, more screentime with Batman in suit, more exciting action, better fight sequences... not a lighter, goofier tone... We are in the same batskiboat.
Yes. The Arkhamverse is much in line with what I want in a reboot. I anticipated Arkham City more than TDKR. That series lets it all hang out - pretty much all of the villains appearing, Robin, Nightwing, Oracle etc but still remains very much about Batman doing cool stuff.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  7 Jan  2013, 07:16
Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun,  6 Jan  2013, 22:14
Yes. The Arkhamverse is much in line with what I want in a reboot. I anticipated Arkham City more than TDKR. That series lets it all hang out - pretty much all of the villains appearing, Robin, Nightwing, Oracle etc but still remains very much about Batman doing cool stuff.

Agreed. As much as TDK is my favorite Batman film, It's time for a different tone. The Arkham games and Snyder's current run on the books are a perfect balance between serious and fun. It shouldn't be fun for batman, but it sure should be fun to watch Batman. And I really, really, really want Robin. As a teen. If this new series was a trilogy starting with Dick being taken in by Bruce and ending with him becoming Nightwing I would be a happy camper.

Why must there be a sequel to begin with? Why not wait a decade before doing another film? At this point, a film revolving around the Joker seems inevitable and why would you want to do it so soon after Ledger? Give it some time. The characters aren't going away any time soon.
"The darkness in your eyes warms my cold heart." - J

Quote from: DarkestKnight on Sun, 13 Jan  2013, 23:18
Why must there be a sequel to begin with? Why not wait a decade before doing another film? At this point, a film revolving around the Joker seems inevitable and why would you want to do it so soon after Ledger? Give it some time. The characters aren't going away any time soon.

Not to sound morbid but basically I could be dead in a decade lol Why would I wanna wait that long therefore for a new one? The future is too mysterious to map out accurately....

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Sun, 13 Jan  2013, 23:38

Not to sound morbid but basically I could be dead in a decade lol Why would I wanna wait that long therefore for a new one? The future is too mysterious to map out accurately....

Not to sound like a troll but why should a few fans dictate the fate of the franchise? The best part about the Nolan DKT was we had to wait several years for it. By the time Batman Begins emerged, the anticipation was fever pitch. I see the point that Batman could potentially become a series like James Bond (whereas you have several connected and unconnected storylines with the same or several different actors playing and/or reprising the same roles). It could work. I'm just not a fan of how all these modern superhero movies continually 'reboot' themselves after a few short years. I think it takes away from the acting performance put forth by the actor.
"The darkness in your eyes warms my cold heart." - J

Quote from: DarkestKnight on Mon, 14 Jan  2013, 22:30Not to sound like a troll but why should a few fans dictate the fate of the franchise?
A question I often ask myself, actually, but for very different reasons.

Quote from: DarkestKnight on Mon, 14 Jan  2013, 22:30The best part about the Nolan DKT was we had to wait several years for it. By the time Batman Begins emerged, the anticipation was fever pitch.
No it wasn't. Not among the general public anyway. A lot of fans were majorly stoked for it but there was a lot of antipathy built up toward Batman because of the perceived lameness of the character. It's strange to imagine a world where Batman was considered corny and news of another Batman movie was at best greeted with ambivalence and at worst mockery but such a world existed less than ten years ago.

Quote from: DarkestKnight on Mon, 14 Jan  2013, 22:30I see the point that Batman could potentially become a series like James Bond (whereas you have several connected and unconnected storylines with the same or several different actors playing and/or reprising the same roles). It could work. I'm just not a fan of how all these modern superhero movies continually 'reboot' themselves after a few short years. I think it takes away from the acting performance put forth by the actor.
I understand. The Bond comparisons don't really take into account how limited any character's rogues gallery really is. Yes, even Batman's. Bond has the virtue (and the burden) of being able to create a new villain each time out. And if a villain is screwed up and the movie is a clunker, hey, try harder next time. If someone brings the Penguin to the big screen, that villain can't be used again any time soon even if it turns out well. How many heavy-hitters does Batman really have in his lineup? Sure, he's got some good ones but even the best ones are variations on Batman himself and I think audiences would get tired of seeing Batman constantly tackling essentially warped versions of himself. The villain saying "we're the same" bit is a cliche already. I truly believe if audiences were subjected to it enough, they'd pull their hair out. The "do Batman like Bond" crowd don't ever seem to take this stuff into account. I get it, they don't like reboots and they want the character to continually progress and evolve. But it's never been done and I think a big part of that could be the likelihood of almost endless repetition. And hell, Bond has made a cottage industry of repetition... until, that is, audiences got fed up and a reboot was inevitable.

My two cents.