what kind of film should the next one be? (TDKR spoilers)

Started by riddler, Sun, 22 Jul 2012, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of film should the next one be?

sequel to batman returns
22 (24.7%)
sequel to batman and robin
6 (6.7%)
sequel to the dark knight rises
21 (23.6%)
flash forward (skip over continuity)
4 (4.5%)
loose sequel (have bruce wayne start out already as batman)
14 (15.7%)
complete reboot with origin
7 (7.9%)
complete reboot without origin
38 (42.7%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: Fri, 17 Apr 2015, 15:46

if the plan is another franchise; give a new director a series of films to work with, what are your thoughts on an adaptation of Year one?
It's a great read but I have mixed feelings on it. We've kind of scene elements of it play out. While not based on it, the first Burton film follows the same general formula; starting out with Bruce already batman but more or less rising from urban legend to public figure.
Begins lifts several elements including batman commanding bats, having Gordon's ascension in the ranks due to good work while his daughter is an infant and of course the final meeting on the headquarters and revealing the joker card.

I should get the cartoon version of it.

My problem with Year One (and arguably the animated movie bears this out) is that it's not paced or structured in a movie-friendly way. Love or hate Chris Nolan's Batman films but he obviously understood that and I suspect that's why he only borrowed elements or perhaps the tone of Year One rather than adapting it directly.

If Caviezel can't do Batman, then he should be the new Max Shreck:
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Lol. That was great! He should use that voice as Batman.

"I want you to tell...awll of your friends...abaouwt me....I'm...the Batman!"

It'd be a brilliant way of throwing the cops off his trail. Gordon would end up arresting Walken on suspicion of being Batman and no one would suspect it was really Bruce Wayne. If nothing else, it would be an improvement on Bale's Dark Knight voice.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 28 Aug  2012, 22:54

As far as casting goes – well, I've said this in other threads, but I'll say it again now – Jim Caviezel should be the next Batman. He's physically perfect for the part: 6'2, with black hair, blue eyes and chiselled jaw line – exactly like the Bruce Wayne in the comics. I was going to say he should bulk up a bit, but I saw a recent interview with him where he mentioned his weight was 210lbs, which is exactly the same weight as the Bruce Wayne in the comics. He fits the role 100%.

James Caviezel as Batman would be aces with me. The guy is a very capable actor that displays range in the type of characters he has played thru his acting career and his being announced as the next Batman would have me as interested as I was when Bale was first announced to be perfectly honest.

I was also a fan of the idea of Caviezel playing Superman shortly following Bryan Singer being reported as the director for the then-new Superman film back in 2004. Which gained some steam due to Caviezel publicly stating that he would be interested in the role, and also Mark Millar posting on his website that Caviezel had actually been cast (which turned out to be complete bunk). I remember being severely disappointed when BJ was officially announced, but given how that film turned out, Jim might have been thankful for being left out of that fray.

Unfortunately, with ageism being a bitch in Hollywood, I don't see the likelyhood of JC being cast as Batman for a rebooted franchise being that great, and that's our loss. Though with WB/DC possibly toying with the idea of a cinematic multiverse, maybe the idea isn't as far fetched as some would initially perceive (JC as Supes in a live action Dark Knight Returns perhaps?)...

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

*First Post*

As much as I'd love to see a sequel to Batman Returns it's not going to happen. Unfortunately nowadays the Burton movies are lumped in with the Schumacher movies so a lot of people think that they are part of the same universe as Burton's movies. Also too much time has gone by so Burton's Batman universe is sadly dead. We're all kidding ourselves if we think that WB is really going to get Burton back.

For a new Batman I want to see a reboot that's more like the comics without the over the top realism that Nolan was aiming for. These are comic book movies and comic books have larger then life characters.

Also a new Batman movie series should in my opinion skip the origin story. I don't know about everyone else but personally I'm sick and tired of origin stories.

Hi Vampfox, welcome to the site.

Agreed on the direction of the new movie.

A friend of mine floated a suggestion that the next Batman franchise be a sort of Brave & the Bold type of thing in live action. His point was that Nolan pretty much covered the uber-dark Batman for a while so why not make something for all ages audiences?

Whatever comes next should be completely different from Nolan... and, well, his suggestion is certainly different...

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 19 Dec  2012, 19:40
A friend of mine floated a suggestion that the next Batman franchise be a sort of Brave & the Bold type of thing in live action. His point was that Nolan pretty much covered the uber-dark Batman for a while so why not make something for all ages audiences?

Whatever comes next should be completely different from Nolan... and, well, his suggestion is certainly different...

Definitely I'm all for having more fun than Nolan had. The problem is Brave and the Bold might get similar to  batman and Robin.

I don't think it has to equal The Brave and the Bold, but more fun is definitely needed. And I'm not talking about Nolan's exact tone with a few more one liners thrown in.