what kind of film should the next one be? (TDKR spoilers)

Started by riddler, Sun, 22 Jul 2012, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of film should the next one be?

sequel to batman returns
22 (24.7%)
sequel to batman and robin
6 (6.7%)
sequel to the dark knight rises
21 (23.6%)
flash forward (skip over continuity)
4 (4.5%)
loose sequel (have bruce wayne start out already as batman)
14 (15.7%)
complete reboot with origin
7 (7.9%)
complete reboot without origin
38 (42.7%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: Fri, 17 Apr 2015, 15:46

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  1 Aug  2012, 16:39

Quote from: riddler on Wed,  1 Aug  2012, 16:02I brought it up before but the Hush comics are a great example of it; they have panels featuring the Adam West, Michael Keaton, and Christian Bale batmobiles side by side basically encompassing all those versions. Obviously those are 3 separate universes but instead of over analyzing the writers just expected the reader to just go with it. And since it was such an excellent comic, the reader is forgiving and doesn't need to over analyze.
I'd love to see something like that in a movie. I'd even award bonus points if they threw in something a little more esoteric like those weird ice glide vehicles from B&R. And not anything to make a big production out of. Just tuck 'em away in the background as easter eggs for those paying attention.

I can't remember the exact quote of those panels but it basically stated 'you've had quite the diversity' as well the some what controversial BTAS episode which mocked Joel Schumacher does the same.

Basically what i'm getting at is comics have runs which are not a sequel to any other works aside from the origin and essentially are loose with the continuity. Bryan Singer tried to do this with Superman returns; again this is another case of audiences criticising it due to disliking the film. At the time the general attitude was "the last 2 movies sucked so good for this one to ignore them"

After 3 "realistic" Bat films I want very much a return to the more stylised Batman films of Tim Burton. Unfortunately that dream while popular will never completely happen. Cos you need Tim Burton again to truly return to that style. So while they could bring back something similar it won't look totally how we would expect.

I know people say that Burton and Keaton should complete their "trilogy". I don't think there is any point to that in fairness. Burton's films were never designed as a trilogy like you get today, just installments. And despite it being popular with fans to say "Batman Forever" was a reboot I'm afraid not. The word reboot never existed (thankfully) back in 1995 and I specifically remember everyone saying at the time it was the third movie despite a vastly different style. I wait for the day that terrible reboot word is exterminated forever.

I think they should also take great pains to ensure they don't trail off again and end up with a flick like "Batman and Robin" though. Avoid the cartoony quality at all costs.

Most importantly however silly it may sound put Batman's name back in the title! Never liked calling the series "The Dark Knight". To make matters worse they've now dumped Superman's name from his new movie. Like their embarrassed to call it what it is. While "Batman Begins" is a strangely sounding title I'm glad they made an effort to conjure up something that tied in with previous titles like "Returns" in some way.

I'd like to see something where Batman is a lot more like a detective. A hidden wraith who sneaks around using his forensic kit, trying to solve murders ala Long Halloween. Something smaller scale in comparison to blowing out bridges, etc would be better after TDKR I think.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 16 Aug  2012, 01:31
I'd like to see something where Batman is a lot more like a detective. A hidden wraith who sneaks around using his forensic kit, trying to solve murders ala Long Halloween. Something smaller scale in comparison to blowing out bridges, etc would be better after TDKR I think.

yeah thats why I'm hoping for the riddler, I think burtons third film would have done that. Sadly Batman used very little detective skills (only for finding selina kyle) in the third film and even the second we were promised to see more of it but he was played more as the detective cop who has the detective title but uses phsyical brawn more (ie stallone in demolition man).

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Wed, 15 Aug  2012, 18:25After 3 "realistic" Bat films I want very much a return to the more stylised Batman films of Tim Burton. Unfortunately that dream while popular will never completely happen. Cos you need Tim Burton again to truly return to that style. So while they could bring back something similar it won't look totally how we would expect.
Nonsense, there are other filmmakers who could bring a stylization to the material. Maybe not exactly what Burton would've done but I'm not even sure Burton of today would do what Burton back then would've done. Namely, I doubt Johnny Depp would've been in Batman 3.

But anyway, imagine a reboot directed by Guillermo del Toro. Something tells me he wouldn't make a Nolan'ish "crime thriller". Of course, a del Toro Batman movie might not match up tonally with Snyder's MOS... an important consideration if WB ever wants to develop a shared universe. Frankly, I'm sick of these exclusive superhero movies from WB but whatever.

As for the name stuff... yeah, that bugs me too. His name is Batman. Use it somewhere in the title for crying out loud. Call it "Batman Gets Rebooted Again" for all I care, just use his name in the title.

I do think Burton was on a roll when he did B89/BR. But I loved his work on Dark Shadows, how he gets in his social commentaries, the mix of quirky humour and darkness. And of course the gorgeous visuals. I'd have him back in a heartbeat, but can't see that happening - either from WB or the man himself, who probably thinks he's done his take and he's moved on. If they go for a younger Batman in the reboot, but still somewhat established, something like Dark Moon Rising would be good, I think. Something which can lend moody visuals, hint at (or embrace fully, whatever they want) supernatural, fantastical things out there and still have the grit.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 16 Aug  2012, 07:29
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Wed, 15 Aug  2012, 18:25After 3 "realistic" Bat films I want very much a return to the more stylised Batman films of Tim Burton. Unfortunately that dream while popular will never completely happen. Cos you need Tim Burton again to truly return to that style. So while they could bring back something similar it won't look totally how we would expect.
Nonsense, there are other filmmakers who could bring a stylization to the material. Maybe not exactly what Burton would've done but I'm not even sure Burton of today would do what Burton back then would've done. Namely, I doubt Johnny Depp would've been in Batman 3.

Yep your right. Not saying Burton is the only one who can do it. Others can of course in their own way that's what I very much want on the eighth film. Wow, eighth film! I remember when there were just 3 now we've reached that number.

But anyway, imagine a reboot directed by Guillermo del Toro. Something tells me he wouldn't make a Nolan'ish "crime thriller". Of course, a del Toro Batman movie might not match up tonally with Snyder's MOS... an important consideration if WB ever wants to develop a shared universe. Frankly, I'm sick of these exclusive superhero movies from WB but whatever.

I wouldn't want a Justice League type series. It's been done very superbly by Marvel. A DC version I think may end up looking like a ripoff idea. Yes I know Justice League came before but still Marvel have now beaten them to the screen. And I wouldn't want it to constrain the Batman series by having to tie in with events that would be upcoming in a team up film. I've never liked Justice League to be honest. Well actually Batman being in it. It always makes him look weak because he is after all a guy in a suit and nothing more. Ever read Crisis on Infinite Earths? There's a great scene at the end where all the super heroes unleash an attack on the Anti-Monitor. Batman and Robin however are forced to stand back and not get involved as they would be decimated. I figure we would get a terrible scene like that in a film. I shudder to imagine Ryan Reynold's awful Green Lantern sharing a scene and cracking puns with a new Batman too.

As for the name stuff... yeah, that bugs me too. His name is Batman. Use it somewhere in the title for crying out loud. Call it "Batman Gets Rebooted Again" for all I care, just use his name in the title.

Well it may not be a reboot. Maybe they'll do a "Batman Forever" carrying on but with a whole new cast and storyline. Time will tell.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 16 Aug  2012, 13:07
I do think Burton was on a roll when he did B89/BR. But I loved his work on Dark Shadows, how he gets in his social commentaries, the mix of quirky humour and darkness. And of course the gorgeous visuals. I'd have him back in a heartbeat, but can't see that happening - either from WB or the man himself, who probably thinks he's done his take and he's moved on. If they go for a younger Batman in the reboot, but still somewhat established, something like Dark Moon Rising would be good, I think. Something which can lend moody visuals, hint at (or embrace fully, whatever they want) supernatural, fantastical things out there and still have the grit.

Burton is actually considering a sequel to "Beetlejuice" all these years later with Michal Keaton involved. If he's feeling nostalgic about certain other projects he once did around the same time you never know lol

It would be so cool if they announced they were both returning to Batman after all these years. What a dream project. But I guess you can't turn the clock back everytime.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Thu, 16 Aug  2012, 17:56
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 16 Aug  2012, 13:07

Burton is actually considering a sequel to "Beetlejuice" all these years later with Michal Keaton involved. If he's feeling nostalgic about certain other projects he once did around the same time you never know lol

It would be so cool if they announced they were both returning to Batman after all these years. What a dream project. But I guess you can't turn the clock back everytime.

As it is batman returns is the only sequel he has done and there are several of his projects which easily could have been sequels (beetlejuice, Edward scissorhands, planet of the apes, charlie and the chocolate factory, alice in wonderland) he didnt see that enthusiastic to do a sequel to batman, possibly why he got the carte blanche for it.

There are some decent stories with Batman later in his career, wouldnt be too much of a stretch to do a '20 years later' scenario. Even a sequel taking place after a few years may work. Keaton is aging but they could cleverly write that in on his life taking a toll, Michelle Pfeiffer still looks great after all those years.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 17 Aug  2012, 17:36There are some decent stories with Batman later in his career, wouldnt be too much of a stretch to do a '20 years later' scenario. Even a sequel taking place after a few years may work. Keaton is aging but they could cleverly write that in on his life taking a toll, Michelle Pfeiffer still looks great after all those years.
Part of me would love for Burton to come back. But another part of me thinks that because we've seen what Burton can do (which was amazing), other filmmakers should have a shot.