what kind of film should the next one be? (TDKR spoilers)

Started by riddler, Sun, 22 Jul 2012, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of film should the next one be?

sequel to batman returns
22 (24.7%)
sequel to batman and robin
6 (6.7%)
sequel to the dark knight rises
21 (23.6%)
flash forward (skip over continuity)
4 (4.5%)
loose sequel (have bruce wayne start out already as batman)
14 (15.7%)
complete reboot with origin
7 (7.9%)
complete reboot without origin
38 (42.7%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: Fri, 17 Apr 2015, 15:46

That's one thing I thought the Schumacher films got right. I actually really like the way the Batcave looked in those films. Although, I hope we get something even better in a reboot.

Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 29 Mar  2013, 20:29
That's one thing I thought the Schumacher films got right. I actually really like the way the Batcave looked in those films. Although, I hope we get something even better in a reboot.
Agreed. They weren't just caves, therefore the batcave by default. They were the batcave all over. Something to get excited about. Both Schumacher and Burton got this right.

Nothing against the Batcaves we've seen up to now but it would be kind of cool to see a Batcave with the huge playing card suspended from the ceiling, the dinosaur, the giant motherfvcking penny, the display cases, all that stuff.

Sat, 30 Mar 2013, 15:15 #123 Last Edit: Sat, 30 Mar 2013, 15:31 by The Laughing Fish
Batman Next Film: 4 Reasons Why Robin Should Be The Main Focus

http://whatculture.com/film/batman-next-film-4-reasons-why-robin-should-be-the-main-focus.php#6T18dBwtSiaJWq4H.99

QuoteFor me, to achieve the true portrayal of Batman on screen, he should seem slightly unhinged. He should be a loner when he is not playing the Bruce Wayne persona, a slightly crazy millionaire detached from the rest of society. Keaton's Batman probably came closest to this but ultimately a studio couldn't make a Batman film with a main character that the audience can't relate to or feel sympathy for.
??? Really? So how come there are people out there who still believe that Michael Keaton was the best actor to portray Batman in live action? Or am I missing something here?

QuoteIf Robin were the lead in the picture, however, then it would allow a filmmaker to take this approach with the Batman character. Robin could be the audience surrogate in a plot where a broken and sympathetic orphan is taken in by a reclusive and emotionally distant millionaire who, over the course of the film, learns to open up and accept others (awww). Having a relatable Robin who shows fear and is more open with his emotions would allow you to portray Bruce Wayne as the truly broken individual he is and would allow for a different and far more pure portrayal of Batman than we have seen before.

Okay maybe that idea seems reasonable, although on the downside one might ask why would a reclusive millionaire want to adopt anyone in the first place? Also, I'm honestly not really comfortable about the idea of a pre-teen/teenage kid as a crime-fighter, not after seeing Kick-Ass. 

QuoteUsing Robin as the lead as an inexperienced crime fighter raises the stakes of a Batman movie without going to as epic a scale as The Dark Knight Rises did.

With a better writer, it might even make the film more cohesive and logical without going to as absurd a scale as The Dark Knight Rises did  (though it was good for a laugh, I'll give it that). 

QuoteFurthermore, if the studio did take this approach then they could attempt a very brave plot that would give this new incarnation of Batman the push it needs to escape from Nolan's shadow. Imagine if Robin was established as the lead character in the first couple of movies in this new continuity only to be beaten to death by The Joker at the end of the first sequel. It would definitely be shocking enough to justify the reboot and also to justify introducing the character of the Joker again so soon after Heath Ledger's definitive portrayal. Imagine further if the studio were able to complete this plot arc before the proposed Justice League movie. Having Batman suffer such a personal tragedy before the big team up would provide some great drama at the start of such a film, potentially as the result of him vowing to never work with others again to prevent a similar disaster from occurring.

First I need to get this off my chest: the last time I looked at my avatar, the Joker does not sport a Glasgow smile on his face. Not to insult anyone who likes Ledger's performance, but I can't see how that version is  the definitive portrayal of the character.

Second, I suppose the idea that Batman overcomes his grief when in the company of the Justice League doesn't sound too unreasonable. Though I hope that a writer doesn't take this as an opportunity to have Batman only feeling comfortable working with "superhumans", and will never involve himself with other sidekicks other than Robin.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Astethically, I liked Ledger's Joker. But as far as characterization, sure, there was some really good Joker moments, but I wouldn't even come close to calling his version "definitive". He still isn't even my favorite live action version of the character.

nearly a year later now people seems to like my 'hush' idea  :)

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 30 Mar  2013, 15:15Really? So how come there are people out there who still believe that Michael Keaton was the best actor to portray Batman in live action?
Some people really liked Keaton in the role. Several of them are on this forum.