Started by Mothy, Thu, 5 Jun 2008, 09:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite?

Batman (1989)
42 (56.8%)
Batman Returns
32 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 71

That's because it is not trying to, it is its own beast.

Not taking anything away from B89 but for me it's all about BR.  I like the failed romance angle between Bruce and Selina (the very things that make them so compatible are what drive them apart.  Tragic irony?  Or poetic justice?), the Penguin skulking around in the sewers, the production design (hands down this is THE best Gotham City of any incarnation of Batman, be it live action, cartoons, comics, whatever), the music, it's all so perfect.

Even as a kid, I remember watching B89 on tape and loving it but also thinking that some things could very easily have been improved upon.  It didn't feel like Batman had enough gadgets.  I also felt like the B89 ending was a little too triumphant.  The Joker was defeated, the city had accepted Batman and Bruce got the girl.  Felt a little too neat for my tastes.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 30 Oct  2008, 08:44
If your more of a Tim Burton fan than a batman fan, I guess it helps out a bit.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Quote from: DarkVengeance on Thu, 30 Oct  2008, 21:17

I don't get that, that's a common Nolanite saying. Sure it was more dark prob the darkest Batman movie made and it was little more gothic but thats nothing.

Quote from: Sandman on Thu, 30 Oct  2008, 22:42
Quote from: DarkVengeance on Thu, 30 Oct  2008, 21:17

I don't get that, that's a common Nolanite saying. Sure it was more dark prob the darkest Batman movie made and it was little more gothic but thats nothing.
They tend to have pretty narrow parameters for what is and is not acceptable in a Batman adaptation.  Try not to hate them.  Merely pity them.

First off pity yourselves for actually accepting someone using "ite" at the end of a directors name or even mentioning it, that is so silly and childish, it has nothing to do with Christopher Nolan what I said, which even more makes me believe that if anything this is the "Nolan Haters" board alot of the time which to me is silly. Yes it is dedicated to Burtons batman but by no means does that mean it should be ok to literally BASH the other versions.

Im saying a very obvious fact that many many critics and people in the industry have observed, that BR is a Tim Burton film with Batman characters in it, its much more a Tim Burton film than 89 ( because he was allowed full 100% control on the project) theres only tiny bits shining through that actually feel like batman to me, but that dosent mean I dont love that film, because I most definitly do.

Im sick of fans generalizing each other and giving each other stupid nicknames, I think everyone should just grow up and realize some people like the other interpretation better, it dosent take anything away from what you love so why do you care so much, it truly is immature.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Ok. Rant some place else. This is Burton country.  ;)

Quote from: DarkVengeance on Fri, 31 Oct  2008, 00:49which even more makes me believe that if anything this is the "Nolan Haters" board alot of the time which to me is silly.
I don't think it's silly.  Nolan lovers have the run of basically any other forum they ever go to.  BOF is a good example of that.  This joint is dedicated to the Burton films.  The slant is obvious.

QuoteYes it is dedicated to Burtons batman but by no means does that mean it should be ok to literally BASH the other versions.
This from the guy who goes on to say...

QuoteIm saying a very obvious fact that many many critics and people in the industry have observed, that BR is a Tim Burton film with Batman characters in it,
Oddly enough, I see BR as being one of the purest (if not THE purest) Batman adaptation ever.  It's self-consistent, it harmonizes with the spirit of the comics rather nicely, it has something to say about Batman and the world in which he lives and it offers some lovely character dynamics.

I can enjoy the Nolan films (or TDK anyway) in the vocabulary of big, dumb action entertainment but I don't see what all the fuss is about with respect to anything beyond that.  If you dig it, cool, but it seems kind of ridiculous to me to come in to a forum like this expecting nobody to be biased.

QuoteIm sick of fans generalizing each other and giving each other stupid nicknames,
That's true of any geek forum you'll ever find on the net.  I don't see how or why this forum should be any different... particularly since a lot of us hang out on those other forums as well.

QuoteI think everyone should just grow up and realize some people like the other interpretation better, it dosent take anything away from what you love so why do you care so much, it truly is immature.
If that's how you feel, why does the mere existence of the "Nolanite" label offend you?  You don't buy into it and, in my mind, it's never really been intended as a pejorative any more than "Burtonite" is.  Both are merely shorthand descriptions folks attach to fans of a particular franchise.  I don't see the harm.  In general, I'm not even a Tim Burton fan, I just prefer his Batman films.  If anything, I should be offended at the Burtonite label but I see it for what it is and it affects me not.

Try it some time.

Fri, 31 Oct 2008, 07:57 #38 Last Edit: Fri, 31 Oct 2008, 08:00 by batsam
favorite without any margin of doubt is "Batman Returns"

no other movie would 1)offers a plot and scenes with a sick-funny way Returns did,that mix of tragedy-ironic(Example:penguin being throwed in the sewers by his parents,becoming a penguin man on a Duck,the penguins with the missels and gear,and the special glasse to aim and shoot)
2)the art of architectures of gotham(EX:metaphoric meaning of them sometimes that are hidden here and there over the city)
3)humor:like penguin biting a nose of someone in front of the same people electing him,eating a fish..the HUGE ***DUCK***

the way of doing all of the mentioned is brave if you consider that this could have big possibilties to be quoted negativly,redicolousor without sense,but it isn't
its only tons of joy if you understand it,and i'm sure after years all of this will ne re-discovered
Ah, the direct approach. I admire that in a man with a mask

I prefer Returns for its atmosphere. It is dead on. It is almost a character of its own. Burton nailed it.