Started by Mothy, Thu, 5 Jun 2008, 09:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite?

Batman (1989)
42 (56.8%)
Batman Returns
32 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Well, I've just watched Batman (1989) and Batman Returns back to back.

They're both timeless, but IMO, Batman Returns doesn't feel nearly as dated as Batman - even though they're both around 20 years old. The whole slick look and tone of the film just seems contemporary even watching it today.

I love Batman Returns I like it better than Batman 89! Batman Returns  is a great Dark Knight tale!

Burton thought that "Batman" was darker than "Batman Returns".  I read it somewhere.

And I agree with him.  Returns has more adult themed material and the penguin is in a sewer and is deformed, but that doesn't necessarily make it dark.  Its just that most people don't find it appealing, thats all.  The Penguin and Catwoman and schreck are no more evil than the joker.

The reason I think burton thought Batman was darker was because the joker wanted to kill everybody in gruesome ways and then take over the United States.  The Penguin was bad, but he wasn't psychotic.  Its just that when people think of the joker, they think of a clown.  What they don't realize is that the clown is psychotic and wants to kill, literally, everyone (at least in Gotham anyways).

As far as my favorite, well, for favorites, you have to pick your favorite villain basically.  Thats the only real difference between any super hero movie.  Between the two, the joker is my favorite, therefore Batman89 wins.

Now, if Burton was able to make the Riddler movie like he planned to make (his trilogy of the four batman villains- joker, penguin, catwoman, riddler), that would've been the icing on the cake and would've definetely been my favorite (the riddler is my favorite after all).

in my opinion Batman Returns is a better film! I just love the nightmare creepy tone that Burton went for!

Mon, 4 Jan 2010, 02:03 #84 Last Edit: Mon, 4 Jan 2010, 02:31 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: burtongenius on Sun,  3 Jan  2010, 21:54
As far as my favorite, well, for favorites, you have to pick your favorite villain basically.  Thats the only real difference between any super hero movie.  Between the two, the joker is my favorite, therefore Batman89 wins.
It?s not that simple, for me at least. If we were going to pick favourite films solely on that, The Joker is my favourite Batman villain, bar none.

But picking a film based just on the villains ignores everything associated with a film. Be it plot, soundtrack, tone and so on. The list is endless. For me, Batman Returns trumps Batman (1989) in all areas.

Love The Joker, but in this case, however, judging strictly as a character, I do find Burton?s Penguin more interesting and fascinating in the context of the film. He just works. The Catwoman union also elevates things to a higher level.

returns for me the penguin was played so well by devito i think its such an underated performance.

Quote from: dale01 on Mon,  4 Jan  2010, 14:13
the penguin was played so well by devito i think its such an underated performance.
For sure. It was an absolute disgrace he was nominated for a Razzie. He got into character as much as Ledger, probably more so in my book.

It annoys me a little that Returns wasn't nominated for more Academy Awards.  I believe it was nominated for Best Makeup and Best Special Effects (neither of which it won  ::)) but where were the nominations for Best Costumes (surely the best of the year, or almost any year for that matter), Best Art Production and Best Actress for Michelle Pfeiffer?   >:(
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: The Dark Knight
For sure. It was an absolute disgrace he was nominated for a Razzie. He got into character as much as Ledger, probably more so in my book.

Damn, Devito was nominated for a Razzie? I didn't know that.

Now that was uncalled for.  >:(

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Tue,  5 Jan  2010, 14:58
Damn, Devito was nominated for a Razzie? I didn't know that.

Now that was uncalled for.  >:(
Indeed. I simply do not know what they were thinking back then. How on Earth does DeVito's Penguin constitute a bad performance, be it in 1992 or 2008?!

How does one get a Razzie nomination, and one gets an Oscar?

What does it take to get recognition, the actor to die? Oh, wait..