Batman Returns underrated?

Started by DarkKnight357, Sun, 18 May 2008, 21:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Batman Returns on Sat, 14 Feb  2009, 02:27This is a good review, although I'm going to have to disagree w/ you about the film's tone (which fits Batman's universe perfectly)
Agreed.  Burton did a good job of visually conveying the darkness that had so consumed Batman's world.  The world of BR is a reflection of Batman's inner psyche.  I believe (as per our intrepid Gregg Bray) that this is referred to as expressionism.

Quotethe Penguin (this is definitely how he should be),
For that movie, yeah.  That being said, I dig the Dini/Timm underworld snitch.  I give the edge (rather decisively) to BR's version of the Penguin as I just find him more interesting but the WB-era BTAS version was a good concept too.  I can't think of really any other versions of the character that grab me.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 14 Feb  2009, 07:20
For that movie, yeah.  That being said, I dig the Dini/Timm underworld snitch.  I give the edge (rather decisively) to BR's version of the Penguin as I just find him more interesting but the WB-era BTAS version was a good concept too.  I can't think of really any other versions of the character that grab me.

Yes, the B:TAS Penguin was cool. He's a combo of the Penguin that appeared in Batman comics prior to DeVito & Mr. DeVito himself. What facts support this statement? Well, he has the stereotypical "social elite" personality of the Penguin in the comics prior to DeVito, but has the deformities & misfit story like DeVito's Penguin (not to mention that he lived in the sewers & had a duckmobile).  :)

It's a sad shame that all of this was lost in the Penguin for The New Batman Adventures in 1997. He lost that edge he had in B:TAS. No longer was he the deformed misfit trying to fit in w/ the socialites of Gotham City. He was now just a "legitimate businessman". All of the character he once had was flushed down the toilet. :(

As thecolorsblend says, The Penguin in BR is perfect for that film. Yes, it the best, but it was time to move on. Having an exact replica of that version is just direct copying, it's already been done before. Batman is about variety.

Yeah, good review gordon.. ;D And I agree that DeVito's Penguins is very good and grotesk enough for the tone of the movie. I just wish that he would be adapted for the Penguin from the comics too...
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

Sun, 15 Feb 2009, 22:13 #54 Last Edit: Sun, 15 Feb 2009, 22:16 by gordonblu
I'm pretty silly for asking you this, but have any of you seen "The Batman" cartoon that was on Kids WB? That version of the Penguin is amongst my absolute favorites, despite his spiky orange hair. He is grotesque like Devito, but with the aspirations of the social climber that was used in BTAS, and it was all wrapped up in this really funny performance by Tom Kenny. I had to warm up to most of the decisions they made on that show, as well as the fact that their deepest stories weren't anywhere near as deep as BTAS. But I absolutely LOVED their Penguin. In his first episode, he walks up to Bruce Wayne and delivers this classic line: "You know, Brucie, You and I have a lot in common. We're both young, wealthy, and incredibly handsome..." Cue Bruce's raised eyebrow. That just embodies the character for me. Like I said, the show was hit and miss, but when it was cookin', it was cookin'.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Sun, 15 Feb  2009, 22:13
I'm pretty silly for asking you this, but have any of you seen "The Batman" cartoon that was on Kids WB? That version of the Penguin is amongst my absolute favorites, despite his spiky orange hair. He is grotesque like Devito, but with the aspirations of the social climber that was used in BTAS, and it was all wrapped up in this really funny performance by Tom Kenny. I had to warm up to most of the decisions they made on that show, as well as the fact that their deepest stories weren't anywhere near as deep as BTAS. But I absolutely LOVED their Penguin. In his first episode, he walks up to Bruce Wayne and delivers this classic line: "You know, Brucie, You and I have a lot in common. We're both young, wealthy, and incredibly handsome..." Cue Bruce's raised eyebrow. That just embodies the character for me. Like I said, the show was hit and miss, but when it was cookin', it was cookin'.

I agree. I don't know why people dismiss it as a crappy show. It's no B:TAS, but it's entertaining & manages to convey that it's a passable Batman interpretation.