Batman Returns underrated?

Started by DarkKnight357, Sun, 18 May 2008, 21:26

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteThey tried but Kitty-cat resurrection just doesn't cut it for me.
I don't see the kitty-resurrection.

If Selina fell all the way down with nothing to cushion her fall, then yes - she died and was brought back to life by cats.

But she hit every awning on the way down, slowing her descent - i always saw it as....she was knocked unconcious and suffered a form of brain damage - much like the joker, suffering a very physical trauma.  They should really have died but instead through luck they become re-wired in a sense.

I know Burton has always liked the ambiguity about Selinas transformation, especially giving her white skin during the "wake-up" scene - but i think that was little more than artistic expression.  Her skin is white while she is catwoman and flesh coloured while she is selina (the same to an extent with the penguin and cobbelpot)

QuoteHer teaming up with Penguin to "off the bat" is really awkward and forced. Teaming up villains to kill the common hero character just doesn't cut it these days. (errr... I mean 15 years ago  )
we know the team up doesn't work these days, but how many had there been before returns?  ;)

Mon, 26 May 2008, 18:23 #11 Last Edit: Tue, 27 May 2008, 13:38 by DarkKnight357
and Burton didn't even think of Returns as a direct sequel to 89. He felt that Returns was it's own movie.

Returns is my favourite Batman film, closely followed by the 1989 original. I think it probably under rated if anything. People say it is too dark, I say it is just right.

I definitely wouldn't say underrated. I believe that goes for the Schumacher films b/c since Batman & Robin's release, people tend to dislike Forever on the same level b/c of how much of a failure B & R was (& still is to this day). Still, I find Forever entertaining. Plus it was the first Batman film I saw in theaters.

Well, I think Returns is just a little underrated. It's a good Batman movie, has action, drama, a great Keaton's Batman, great villains, etc. But falls in the basic aspect: the protagonist. Bats is in there, but no the necessary.
In fact, It's a great movie and a little underrrated.
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

Fri, 16 Jan 2009, 21:05 #15 Last Edit: Sat, 14 Mar 2009, 19:41 by Dark Knight Detective
Not as underrated as the Schumacher films.

It is indeed underrated. Now that we have 4 movies that can be seen in perspective, I think it's the best film of the series. I used to think it's an unofficial sequel to Edward Scissorhands, but the articles posted here explained very well that it's both an adaptation faithful to the comics in ways it should be (not copying storylines and concepts, just the basics and the spirit of the Batman mythos), and a good film by itself.

Although, one has to admit it's really weird for the average taste (like all of Tim's stuff), and I can perfectly see why this view is a minority view.

Tue, 20 Jan 2009, 22:30 #17 Last Edit: Tue, 27 Jan 2009, 22:57 by The Batman Returns
I still don't see Returns as underrated. The Schumacher films seem to be the most hated of the Batman films (poor Batman Forever). Eventually, people might forget about them (I could forget about B & R, but not Forever). I'm not just saying this b/c Returns is my fav. Batman film, but it's usually the hated films (Schumacher's) that will seem as if they never existed (again, poor Batman Forever).

Tue, 20 Jan 2009, 22:39 #18 Last Edit: Wed, 18 Feb 2009, 02:27 by The Batman Returns
I actually meant to say more graphic.

Tue, 20 Jan 2009, 23:04 #19 Last Edit: Tue, 20 Jan 2009, 23:08 by silenig
I don't think the Schumi films are underrated at all, not when there are people saying, with a straight face, and considering how offendingly bad it actually is, that Batman Forever is better than Batman Returns, not when there are people using Batman Returns and Batman Forever in the same sentence, implying that they can actually be compared :) It's like saying Top Gun can actually be compared to Platoon . Far-fetched analogy I know, but both are totally 80s and deal with the military, with the former being an extended recruitment video-clip with gay subtext, the latter an actual film, the same way BR and BF are both Batman movies, with the first being a film, the latter an extended toy commercial.

Top Gun is a movie that many "love" because of its 80s aesthetics/soundtrack and the fond childhood memories it brings with it, the same way many "love" movies like Rambo II and Rocky IV (me and some friends recently had an 80s Stallone-fest and had a GREAT kick out of it, eye of the tiger!) I think Batman Forever falls in a similar category, it's a pointless flick but, for many, it was their first exposure to Batman and a childhood movie. As such, it might at some point reserve some cult status as a 90's relic, but the status of a film, let alone a good one? I don't think so.

Believe me, I have some fond memories of Batman Forever as well, I was a kid back then, but the only redeeming qualities it might have is the nostalgia factor. As such, I don't think it will be totally forgotten. It's still a Batman movie, a bad one though, there are 4 actual films in the live action canon :)