What was missing?

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 8 May 2008, 21:53

Previous topic - Next topic
The newscaster wasn't exposed to the gas, she was a victim of the poisoned products the Joker sent into the city.  Who's to say the pure gas that is inhaled into the system would necessarily have the same effect as a binary compound which is absorbed through the skin?

Good point.

Another thing I remembered is that in some classic comics (like Batman #1 and Englehart's work too, I believe), Joker's victims do die with the smiles on their faces, but there is no death-laughing that precedes it.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  5 Dec  2008, 13:45
Who knows how long it takes for that stuff to take effect. I dont think Joker cared about running tests, etc. A whole lot of people would have died there, and frankly, they deserve it for being so stupid to even turn up. Joker died, but he took a lot with him.

That's funny you say that because I was really confused by the fact that everyone was falling for the plot at the festival when he was in fact a murderer and he would flaunt it.

Like at first, he was showing off to everyone that he took over the city's underworld by killing the big mob bosses. Then he terrorized the city by poisoning health and beauty products. After all of that he jammed the airwaves to tell everyone "...but one thing that I am not, is a killer!" and they pig out on the free money. Knox said it best though..."Gotham's Greed!"

I suppose it goes to show what lengths people will go to for money. Thoroughly stupid people, though.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  6 Dec  2008, 01:40
I suppose it goes to show what lengths people will go to for money. Thoroughly stupid people, though.
I maintain that this isn't incidental in the script.  I think Burton was making a point about the people of Gotham City.  Today's villain is tomorrow's hero.  In BR, we see the exact opposite with them unquestioningly accepting Cobblepot and then (mostly) unquestioningly rejecting him.  Ditto Batman in BR as well.

In fact, and now we're straying a little bit, I also think Burton was saying something about the characters.  They both experienced the same fall from grace based on the same (admittedly) flimsy evidence.  The Penguin directed his wrath at Gotham City, the people who rejected him.  Batman directed it where it belonged, right at the Penguin.  Batman chose to save the city who rejected him.  Penguin chose to try and destroy it.

I've been up waaaaay too long.

I guess the two different ways of taking it in your body makes you react differently, that just might be it.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

I also wish in Returns when he used his wings to glide off that rooftop, he would have landed at a busy intersection like in Hamm's story, before getting into the hijacked Batmobile.

I liked how he landed just fine, thats one of the most iconic shots of that whole film.

I sorta wish in '89 the Joker would've sometimes used those razor-sharp playing cards that he used in TAS. I think it was in the comic book prior to the film being made but I'm not positive.

Quote from: batass4880 on Mon, 29 Dec  2008, 05:57
I sorta wish in '89 the Joker would've sometimes used those razor-sharp playing cards that he used in TAS. I think it was in the comic book prior to the film being made but I'm not positive.
One of the most badass iconic shots in that film is when Alicia comes out of the elevator and Jack is holding up his card after Grissom says "Jack Id like you to handle this one personally!", I love that Joker card shot, alot!