The Penguin and Richard III

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 16 Jul 2011, 23:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 16 Jul 2011, 23:26 Last Edit: Sun, 17 Jul 2011, 00:43 by Silver Nemesis
I was browsing some reviews of Batman Returns recently and noticed that quite a few critics drew parallels between Danny DeVito's Penguin and the title character from Shakespeare's Richard III. Both are deformed, infanticidal villains struggling to ascend to a throne of power. Both court public support while privately acknowledging their inner wickedness.

The makeup design of DeVito's Cobblepot also evokes the similar makeup design of Laurence Olivier's Richard III in the 1955 adaptation (which also featured Michael Gough in a small role). The pale complexion and beak-like nose are especially similar.

I'm certain Olivier's performance influenced DeVito's as well. Just look at his mannerisms in this clip – the way his hunches his shoulders and walks with that distinctive limp. Also listen to the content of his soliloquy – ranting about his misshapen physique, venting his anger towards nature and his own mother, and coveting the throne and the power it will bring him. All so reminiscent of DeVito's Cobblepot.

DeVito himself has mentioned Olivier's influence.
QuoteOnce I put the mask on an incredible thing began to happen: I was completely free, and I felt like I could do anything. I almost felt like I could turn to the audience and talk, do a Shakespearean turn on it, like in RICHARD III, where Laurence Olivier with his hump could do the walk and be miserable and lustful and talk about killing kids up in the tower. It was exhilarating.
http://www.angelfire.com/film/batman/movies/returns/cast/penguin.html

It's funny, but I'd never really noticed any of these parallels before. All those themes from Shakespeare's play – deformity and resentment, jealousy and ambition, Machiavellian power politics, the blurred line between hero and antagonist – are all present in Burton's film. It brings an extra layer to the movie, and in particular to DeVito's performance, that most people probably overlook.

"A duck, a duck, my kingdom for a duck!"

Very interesting and a very cool comparison.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I think whenever anyone plays a short fat man, they're always compared to Richard III.

Thanks for that Silver Nemesis. I never considered that before..but then I am an uncultured swine!

Quote from: gordonblu on Sun, 17 Jul  2011, 03:35
"A duck, a duck, my kingdom for a duck!"

LOL

Yeah, cool comparison. I thought Richard III is Ian McKellen  ;)

Many movie villains have been compared to Richard III. But in the case of the Penguin – specifically the Burton version – I think the analogy has more weight. The elements of deformity and child murder are especially noteworthy.

I don't know if Waters or Burton were conscious of the parallels, but DeVito certainly was. In the early comics the Penguin was described as waddling like a bird, and that's exactly how Burgess Meredith played it. But DeVito's waddle was more of a lumbering limp, just like the one Olivier used.

Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting titbit worth mentioning.

Quote"A duck, a duck, my kingdom for a duck!"

;D I wish he'd said that in the movie now.

QuoteNow is the winter of our discontent. Made glorious summer by this sun of York.

The movie is set in winter and the Penguins campaign posters are..

I never noticed the sunlight on the poster before. In both the play and the movie it has the double meaning of sun/son. Edward IV, the son of York. Cobblepot, the son of Gotham. Both symbolising hope.

And 'Now is the winter of our discontent' could've been the tagline for the movie. It so perfectly sums up the mood of Gotham City at Christmastime.

Another interesting parallel is Richard's jealousy of his older brother, King Edward IV. An earlier draft of the Returns script had Shreck revealed as Oswald's older brother. And Oswald is understandably envious of Shreck and the privileged upbringing he's had, just as Richard was of Edward.

Brilliant post Silver Nemesis.  I'm definitely all for this site becoming a bit more literary.  The observations about the original screenplay and Oswald's fraternal jealousy are particularly astute.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.