Joker mentioned in Batman Returns?

Started by Slash Man, Mon, 27 Jun 2011, 20:57

Previous topic - Next topic
Remember the cheesy "cut-scenes" of old 8/16-bit games? A few lines of narration and static screens. The Joker was mentioned in the intro cut scene of BR for NES. I always thought it was pretty pointless (they must have tried to connect it with the succesful BATMAN Sunsoft games).

That's a cool tidbit. I guess it would matter to Sunsoft because he was the subject of the previous two games (in the original prototype of Batman: The Video Game, The Joker wasn't killed). And he was only locked up after Batman: Return of the Joker.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun, 10 Jul  2011, 09:41
Remember the cheesy "cut-scenes" of old 8/16-bit games? A few lines of narration and static screens. The Joker was mentioned in the intro cut scene of BR for NES. I always thought it was pretty pointless (they must have tried to connect it with the succesful BATMAN Sunsoft games).

I remember that. True, it was kinda pointless. I always just marked it up as someone just being a fan and wanting to throw in the Joker's name into the game for the sakes of having him mentioned. Someone saw a opening and took advantage of it.

Joker being mentioned in Batman Returns would have been a fun moment, sure. But I don't necessarily think it would have made the film any better than it already is.

For instance, my favorite Spider-Man villain is Doc Ock. Did I like the headline about him still being at large in Spider-Man 3? You bet. Did it really make the film BETTER because of it? No.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 13 Jul  2011, 01:19
Did I like the headline about him still being at large in Spider-Man 3?
I've always taken that as a 'legacy' type homage. You know, the guy is dead and this is something to remember those crazy times by. The front page being printed during SM2 while Spider-Man was out of comission. But indeed, it was a nice touch, but as you said, didn't really make the film better or worse.

This topic makes me think of the killer in the scene where Bruce day dreams of his parents murder in Batman Forever. I always picture Jack Napier/Joker being the killer in that scene.

Quote from: gotham22 on Wed, 13 Jul  2011, 06:22
This topic makes me think of the killer in the scene where Bruce day dreams of his parents murder in Batman Forever. I always picture Jack Napier/Joker being the killer in that scene.

Definately not the only one.

I remember seeing Batman Forever opening day, and when that scene played, there was ALOT of people in the theater saying "Joker".

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

It was still a young Jack Napier, but the face was never shown this time... maybe it has something to do with memory. Forever definately references the Joker, but it's never obvious, like the scene where bruce and Dick are talking, and Bruce mentions his parents were also killed by a "madman." I like the subtle reference.

I don't know what the big debate is about if it would be better or not, but I think it would be a nice touch. Though not enough to really say it's "better."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 14 Jul  2011, 05:37
Quote from: gotham22 on Wed, 13 Jul  2011, 06:22

Definately not the only one.

I remember seeing Batman Forever opening day, and when that scene played, there was ALOT of people in the theater saying "Joker".

Also that deleted scene on the Special Edition. Alfred telling Bruce his parents have been avenged.