Check out this cool article...

Started by Grissom, Wed, 9 Mar 2011, 16:45

Previous topic - Next topic
http://movies.ign.com/articles/115/1153994p1.html

An interesting look at Batman's worst decisions in the previous films.

Check it out.

THATS IT. There has been a thread I've been meaning to post for a while. I will have it up before days end tomorrow.

Short hand.... if you moan and whine about Alfred letting Vale into the Batcave...you don't get Alfred or how important he is. And dare I say it...you don't get Batman either. Looks like IGN joined the club.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 10 Mar  2011, 15:50
Short hand.... if you moan and whine about Alfred letting Vale into the Batcave...you don't get Alfred or how important he is. And dare I say it...you don't get Batman either.
Agreed. Such an act showcases how dire the situation is for Bruce. Alfred is concerned. He is doing what he feels to be the right thing. Bruce has become a distanced, brooding loner and Alfred wants to alter that. Bruce wouldn't fully let any woman into his life, and Alfred literally did that. He threw the doors open and Bruce had nowhere to hide. Think of it as symbolism. It wasn't going to get to that point otherwise.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 11 Mar  2011, 03:31
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 10 Mar  2011, 15:50
Short hand.... if you moan and whine about Alfred letting Vale into the Batcave...you don't get Alfred or how important he is. And dare I say it...you don't get Batman either.
Agreed. Such an act showcases how dire the situation is for Bruce. Alfred is concerned. He is doing what he feels to be the right thing. Bruce has become a distanced, brooding loner and Alfred wants to alter that. Bruce wouldn't fully let any woman into his life, and Alfred literally did that. He threw the doors open and Bruce had nowhere to hide. Think of it as symbolism. It wasn't going to get to that point otherwise.

Agreed. I decided against it's own thread and I'll just say this.

He loves him. That's why he did it. Remember...at this point Bruce's dark journey is an old one, but Batman is still new. And this was the last chance. The final crossroads. what else could a father do? He didn't turn him in. He didn't have him locked up in some warehouse. He offered him one last look back. He's always had a father.

"Actually...Alfred IS my family."

When that old man draws his last breath the tears that come will outdo anything that fell for his parents.

Well said GK.

For me, the centre of the movie has always been Bruce and Alfred's relationship...one of my favourite scenes is when Bruce asks Alfred what is on his mind...

..."I have no wish to spend my few remaining years grieving for the loss of old friends. Or their sons."

QuoteWhen that old man draws his last breath the tears that come will outdo anything that fell for his parents.

I doubt anyone could put it better than what you just said, GK.

Look back at the comics... even BTAS.. I bought the series and I realize how convenient he's treated. He's not really apart of the world..just the guy who cleans up after it and acts as the straight man/comic relief amidst a goomly setting.

I mean.. seriously..extrapolate some of Batman's decisions through the years as though it they were made with Alfred in mind. You could get a whole new dynamic. Writers should take note...see what happens. It could have a selfish edge. He wants to make life bearable for a sidekick he identifies with...a secondary good because he may have more pressing concerns... like having someone there because Alfred's getting older and he needs someone to be there to keep him straight when Al dies.

Gotta agree, Alfred was more of a father figure and mentor to Batman in Batman '89. There was a brilliant line he delivered, goes something like, "I do not wish to spend my remaining years, grieving over lost friends or their sons." That really sums up the relationship. I don't agree with the article especially for Batman '89 but it's an interesting take nonetheless.

Yep. And by BR, it's letting everything slide and accepting this life. "Must you be the only lonely man-beast in town?"