Joseph Gordon-Levitt locked in for TDKR

Started by Paul (ral), Mon, 14 Feb 2011, 00:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Mon, 14 Feb 2011, 00:51 Last Edit: Sat, 19 Mar 2011, 15:35 by Paul (ral)
There are supposed confirmed reports that Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been cast as  Alberto Falcone aka the Holiday Killer...

...this just got interesting for me. If it is the story line they are going down then it really plays into the whole notion of "escalation".

Thoughts?

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Mon, 14 Feb  2011, 00:51
If it is the story line they are going down then it really plays into the whole notion of "escalation".
I don't know about that. Alberto could be a scapegoat. If he starts whacking people in TDKR, it's fairly easy to claim that he whacked those police in TDK. And possibly even Dent himself. That way, Dent's name is clean and he remains a damaged goods martyr. And Batman is cleared of any wrongdoing.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118034129

QuoteAfter weeks of quiet negotiations, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is set to re-team with his "Inception" director Christopher Nolan on "The Dark Knight Rises."
Additionally, indie sensation Juno Temple is being eyed for a supporting role as a street-smart Gotham girl. Warner Bros. and reps for both thesps declined to comment.

Speculation has run rampant regarding what character Gordon-Levitt will play, though the part is being kept under wraps. Blogs have pegged the part as The Riddler or, more likely, Deadshot, a member of the villainous League of Shadows, but Nolan has elected to keep fans in the dark ... for now.

The Oscar-nominated filmmaker continues to fine-tune the script as the start of production grows closer.

A "street smart Gotham Girl"? Maybe a sidekick for Selina or a TDKReturns influenced Robin?

Levitt is confirmed as Alberto Falcone.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Sat, 19 Mar  2011, 15:37
A "street smart Gotham Girl"? Maybe a sidekick for Selina or a TDKReturns influenced Robin?
Not sure.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Mon, 14 Feb  2011, 00:51
There are supposed confirmed reports that Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been cast as  Alberto Falcone aka the Holiday Killer...

...this just got interesting for me. If it is the story line they are going down then it really plays into the whole notion of "escalation".

Thoughts?

This seems to be as good as confirmed by most entertainment news sources now.  If this is the case I am very much relieved.  I can't see Gordon-Levitt playing Black Mask or Deadshot, and I think The Riddler, who Nolan stated would not appear anyway, is one major villain too far for a film that will already feature Catwoman, Bane and possibly Talia Al Ghul.  Gordon-Levitt is a great actor but I am glad to see him cast in a role that will match both his physicality and to some extent his screen-persona. 

I wonder if this means we will be seeing Tom Wilkinson pop up in cameo, and the appearance of Alberto's siblings, Mario and Sofia.  It might also add credibility to the speculation that Selina Kyle will be portrayed as Carmine Falcone's illegitimate daughter.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Great news, looking forward to his performance. I'm glad that Nolan is keeping the mob aspect alive...it reminds me of Batman '89 and some of the comics as well.  ;D

Quote from: Grissom on Mon, 21 Mar  2011, 17:55
Great news, looking forward to his performance. I'm glad that Nolan is keeping the mob aspect alive...it reminds me of Batman '89 and some of the comics as well.  ;D

I agree.  I like the consistent thread throughout the three movies concerning the mob.  In the first film, Falcone was the lead mob boss but he was of course arrested and placed in Arkham so by TDK, mob control has splintered amongst various competing factions, with Maroni the prime contender to usurp Falcone.  It will be interesting to see whether Alberto Falcone will be able to resume his family's control of the city's criminal element for the third film.  Personally, I'd like to see Nolan make some references to Alberto's portrayal in The Long Halloween.  I can see Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a bright spark scholar who has spent a few years studying in England and now returning to the family 'business', much like the character in TLH.

We're hearing now that JGL won't be Alberto Falcone!

Mon, 21 Mar 2011, 23:56 #8 Last Edit: Tue, 22 Mar 2011, 00:04 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Paul (ral) on Mon, 21 Mar  2011, 23:19
Interesting.

If true, hopefully WB and this other source get at each others throats.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Mon, 21 Mar  2011, 23:19

I'm now reading that some people have speculated that JGL will be playing Black Mask.  I really hope this is not true.  Apart from meaning that the film will end up with too many high-profile villains I don't think JGL suits the character in the slightest.  He seems more like an unassuming type similar to Alberto Falcone.

I'm really getting fed up with these false rumours now.  I wish Nolan or someone high up in the film would either just make a decisive announcement or do better to keep a tight lid on all these apparent leaks.  It's really frustrating and does not reflect well on the production I'm afraid.