Superman: The Man of Steel

Started by johnnygobbs, Sun, 30 Jan 2011, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic

He does look awesome! Shame we have to wait until 2013 to see it though.

Reminds me a lot of Lee Bermejo's art:

I like the suit. It has a nice retro vibe about it.

No undies by the looks of it. That's a plus.

Great photo. Cavill's definately got that square jaw, and the suit looks pretty cool. Love the use of S symbol being more akin to Earth-Two Golden Age Superman as well.

MUCH better than what we ended up with in 2006.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

It hints at a very action heavy/physical outing as well.

Cavill's Man of Steel looks like he could pound you into the ground.

I think Cavill looks awesome in the suit.  Honestly, when I first saw this picture on the Batman-Online Facebook page, I thought it was really good (fan) art.  When I looked at other sites and realized it was the first look at Cavill, I was impressed.

I'm not getting gripes I hear on other sites about the hair.  Yes, I want an "S" curl too, but if they stick to the way it looks in that pic, it won't bother me.  I know other people are griping that it looks like he has no eyebrows.  I think it's just the lighting.  I mean, come on...Cavill has eyebrows.

As for my issues, they're small.  I hope the costume looks closer to the Cavill pic that The Joker just posted, since I prefer Superman in bright colors over the muted style that Routh's suit had.

I'm not sold yet on the scaly- type material (which, funny enough, probably would've been perfect for Captain America since that's already part of that character's look in the comics).  But it could grow on me if they keep the idea that the suit is Kryptonian (and thus has a more alien-like quality).

And in terms of the trunks or possible absence of trunks...people have brightened the picture in Photoshop and found that his, uh, area is still blue.  Personally, Superman looks weird to me without the red trunks (when looking at fan manips and the upcoming Superman comic relaunch).  Maybe I'll get used to it by the time the movie comes out.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Fri, 5 Aug 2011, 18:34 #16 Last Edit: Fri, 5 Aug 2011, 18:46 by gordonblu
I know they're trying to emphasize the action more but the suit colors and his demeanor, plus Nolan's involvement, worry me that they'll turn him into a darker character, which is at odds with the whole symbol of hope thing, otherwise I'm somewhat excited.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

QuoteI know they're trying to emphasize the action more but the suit colors and his demeanor, plus Nolan's involvement, worry me that they'll turn him into a darker character, which is at odds with the whole symbol of hope thing, otherwise I'm somewhat excited.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. I hate to be negative, but I really don't like the muted colours or the way he's scowling.

I find it worrying how often people use the word 'badass' in relation to this film. That's one word I don't think should ever be associated with Superman. I'm glad they're going to have some good action scenes in it, but I'm worried this 'angry god' characterisation is intended to court a younger, more cynical audience at the expense of the character's soul.

Personally I'd rather they'd just stuck with the traditional spandex suit, trunks et al. But I suppose it could've been worse. I am getting tired of the octagonal texturing on all the latest superhero costumes though. First Spider-Man looks like a basketball and now this.

But the Kent farm looks nice.

Looks pretty damned awesome, despite the doom I predicted a year ago. Still saddening that, though this looks great, it once again proves that Superman and Batman are all WB can get right on screen...

There are excellent quality, close up shots of Cavill in the suit.

I am very impressed. One of the best live action designs I've seen, to be honest.

It has a retro, alien and modern feel about it. Not a relic at all. That's what I wanted, and they delivered.

Looking forward to this one. Superman needs to truly return in a big way.