Superman: The Man of Steel

Started by johnnygobbs, Sun, 30 Jan 2011, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 30 Jan 2011, 18:52 Last Edit: Fri, 5 Aug 2011, 00:41 by Paul (ral)
Henry Cavill has been announced as Superman for the forthcoming reboot:

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movie-news/henry-cavill-is-superman.php
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I'm not familiar with his work (I don't get out much) but I can't imagine they'd give him the gig unless he truly wowed them.

So far, so good. At least, until Miley Cyrus gets the Lois Lane role.  ;D

I'm not overly familiar with Cavill, though I remember his name being brought up ALOT during the casting wars of 2004. Of course, back then, you also had pro-Tom Welling camps, as well as pro-Jim Caviezel camps.

Good for him.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

He does look quite a bit like Superman. Regal and rugged at once.

This has pigeonholed him and other big parts will be off limits. And if this film flops, I imagine Superman is really done for. But I think it was either take this chance, or get nothing. So good on him.

I agree that he looks the part.  He has at variously times been linked with Batman and James Bond, not to mention the 2006 Superman, so he's obviously rated for those types of roles.

Who'd have thought that we'd have a Welsh Batman and a Welsh Superman?

While I think he looks the part, I'm not particularly overjoyed. I literally logged on, saw the news and didn't emote at all. "Cavill's Superman, eh?" I thought. I got a bit of a "meh" reaction to tell you the truth. At the end of the day, he is a Batman/Bond reject. He got that far into each process, but he was ultimately deemed not good enough. I hope WB aren't settling for second best, as Batman and Bond would've done if they went along and cast him. We'll see.

I prefer this choice to Brandon Routh or Tom Welling.  It seems the former was primarily cast for his slight resemblance to Christopher Reeve.  With Cavill, I like the fact that the filmmakers are going for someone who still resembles Superman without bearing any strinking resemblance to any of the other actors who have played the role before.

As for Cavill being pigeonholed in the role, sure the 'Curse of Superman' is always a potential pitfall especially since Cavill is still a relative unknown compared to say Bale circa 2005, but some actors have been able to transcend comic-book roles.  Look at Hugh Jackman for instance.  So there is every reason to suppose that Cavill can easily move onto other parts once his tenure as Superman has come to an end, and if not, hell, at least he got to play Superman and what youngish acotr in his right mind is going to decline that opportunity?

My initial reaction towards Cavill landing the role of Superman was pretty much indifferent. I'm not exactly super-excited, nor am I really hating the idea (which is unlike my reaction towards the previous guy who had basically only appeared in a failed MTV show, and a failed stint on a daytime soap opera).

In any event, Cavill is Superman and it's a role he's been chasing for years. Well, now he's got it. Hopefully, he doesn't disappoint.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Tue,  1 Feb  2011, 00:13
My initial reaction towards Cavill landing the role of Superman was pretty much indifferent. I'm not exactly super-excited, nor am I really hating the idea (which is unlike my reaction towards the previous guy who had basically only appeared in a failed MTV show, and a failed stint on a daytime soap opera).

In any event, Cavill is Superman and it's a role he's been chasing for years. Well, now he's got it. Hopefully, he doesn't disappoint.
We're both on the same page.

I'd be lying if I said Henry Cavill was my top choice for the role (I was supporting Joe Manganiello). But between him and the other cast members... well, I hold Snyder's Superman to be guilty until proven innocent but we're definitely going in the right direction, no doubts there.