89 nostalgia...your memories of the hype

Started by shadowbat69, Mon, 22 Oct 2007, 01:36

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Wed, 24 Jun  2009, 02:07
I wasn't able to experience the hype for Batman because it came out three years before I was born, but somehow, whenever I watch the film, it gives me such a nostalgic feel. It's weird... but very, very satisfying!
I know exactly what you mean.

I was three years old when Returns came out, and remember the hype. I recall purchasing die-cast action figures, trading cards, etc in stores.  :D

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 24 Jun  2009, 02:11
I know exactly what you mean.

I was three years old when Returns came out, and remember the hype. I recall purchasing die-cast action figures, trading cards, etc in stores.  :D

I was only an infant when Returns was released in theaters, so I wasn't really able to experience that hype, as well (at least I was born in the year of its release, though ;D)!

I remember my old man being a lot more tripped out by BR's subject matter than I was.  For my part, I wanted Batman to get into more fights.  But on the other hand, you could've made two hours of nothing but Batman scrapping down with people and I would've eaten it all up, and asked for seconds.

Interestingly enough, I still love watching Batman beat the $#!+ out of someone.

As for the BR's hype, I remember there being a strong sense of anticipation for it.  The trailers looked cool to me, the tie-ins were coming out more and more frequently, Catwoman costumes were already expected to be a big hit for Halloween, etc.

For my money though, nothing but NOTHING beats B89's hype... except for maybe Episode One (but that franchise is impossible to compete with anyway).  It was the first movie I could remember where EVERYBODY was talking about it and wondering what was coming.  I was more of a Superman guy back then (and still am) so I knew a lot less about Batman, except for Robin apparently went out like Willie Lump-Lump a year or two earlier.  Other than that, I was pretty much a novice.

Seeing that matte painting of Gotham City at the top of B89... that alone made me a Batman fan for life.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 25 Jun  2009, 02:21
I remember my old man being a lot more tripped out by BR's subject matter than I was.  For my part, I wanted Batman to get into more fights.  But on the other hand, you could've made two hours of nothing but Batman scrapping down with people and I would've eaten it all up, and asked for seconds.

Interestingly enough, I still love watching Batman beat the $#!+ out of someone.

As for the BR's hype, I remember there being a strong sense of anticipation for it.  The trailers looked cool to me, the tie-ins were coming out more and more frequently, Catwoman costumes were already expected to be a big hit for Halloween, etc.

For my money though, nothing but NOTHING beats B89's hype... except for maybe Episode One (but that franchise is impossible to compete with anyway).  It was the first movie I could remember where EVERYBODY was talking about it and wondering what was coming.  I was more of a Superman guy back then (and still am) so I knew a lot less about Batman, except for Robin apparently went out like Willie Lump-Lump a year or two earlier.  Other than that, I was pretty much a novice.

Seeing that matte painting of Gotham City at the top of B89... that alone made me a Batman fan for life.

I first knew about Returns when I saw the making-of in a book store.  I was sold from that moment on.

I remember all the bus shelters in my local area with the teaser poster of the big Bat symbol during the summer of '89.  They were literally everywhere.  I also remember in the Autumn term this kid at school called Jacqui Napier who'd seen the film (despite being underage) telling me that the bad guy's name was almost identical to hers.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 25 Jun  2009, 02:30I also remember in the Autumn term this kid at school called Jacqui Napier who'd seen the film (despite being underage) telling me that the bad guy's name was almost identical to hers.
Ha!  When I was waiting in line for the Attack of the Clones premiere, my ex and I chatted with this group of girls... one of whom was named (seriously) Michael Ann Keaton.

I leaned forward a little and rasped "I'm Batman".  The Batman jokes flowed freely the entire night.

1992 was fun. in addition to my little scene changey card (what are those called? lol) i had all kinds of other catwoman stuff and stuff with batman too. i even got a penguin action figure if you can believe it!

Quote from: catwoman on Thu, 25 Jun  2009, 03:24
1992 was fun.

The fact that I was born that year gives it a reason why it was fun! ;D

no that and bill clinton being elected pres are the reasons 1992 wasnt perfect.

Quote from: catwoman on Thu, 25 Jun  2009, 03:47
no that and bill clinton being elected pres are the reasons 1992 wasnt perfect.