89 nostalgia...your memories of the hype

Started by shadowbat69, Mon, 22 Oct 2007, 01:36

Previous topic - Next topic
That picture will always be waltzing in your memory! 8)

I can't exactly vouch for 89 itself as I was only 2 at the time. However, in the spirit of the Batmania that was around back then, when Batman finally hit TV for its first WBP and my family taped it (we were a little broke so that was how we got movies back then) I swear, that must have been the only movie I ever watched for like a year straight.

I can still remember fast forwarding through those commercials every day, mesmerized by this amazing action film. When I was a kid, sure I had the toys and a few comics, but the only idea of Batman I knew was Michael Keaton, and the only Joker I knew was Jack. The film itself, is truly my first interpretation and understanding of Batman; and might I add, for that I am forever grateful. From childhood, and up to my 22nd year of life, I couldn't be happier that from day one, when someone mentioned Batman, the first and at one point the only thing that could enter my mind was this film.

I vividly remember my mother taking me, and my younger cousin to see BATMAN one night not long after it had began making it's theatrical run, and while we were making our way up to the VERY long line in front, the (I suppose) manager announced that BATMAN and some other movie I cannot specifically remember, was sold out. Extremely disappointed, we walked back to the car, where we did end up seeing the film the very next night, and right then and there, I knew BATMAN would be one of my favourites, if not my absolute favourite movie of all time.

The hype surrounding the film was just phenomenal. As you would be hard pressed to go anywhere without running into someone wearing a Batman symbol t-shirt of some sort. Of course, I had mine. But generally preferred wearing my Joker t-shirts (I had a few), and I also distinctly remember having a friendly rivalry with a friend that following school year where I wore Joker t-shirts, and a Joker watch alot, and he with Batman t-shirts/Batman watch. Halloween eventually hit, and needless to say, we went as our favourite respective characters.  :)

Batman Returns in 1992 had good hype from what I remember, but I don't believe it really even came anywhere as close to the hype surrounding the 1989 Batman movie. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: catwoman on Thu, 25 Jun  2009, 03:47
no that and bill clinton being elected pres are the reasons 1992 wasnt perfect.

So you're a Republican?   :P - 'blah!'
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I can imagine how big the hype was fro Bats.... I wish I had more than 20 years... :'(
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

Quote from: GuedesGothamKnight on Mon, 29 Jun  2009, 22:59
I can imagine how big the hype was fro Bats.... I wish I had more than 20 years... :'(

Interested in swapping?  ;)

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 25 Jun  2009, 08:54
Quote from: catwoman on Thu, 25 Jun  2009, 03:47
no that and bill clinton being elected pres are the reasons 1992 wasnt perfect.

So you're a Republican?   :P - 'blah!'

;D

Thu, 2 Jul 2009, 02:31 #57 Last Edit: Thu, 2 Jul 2009, 02:37 by Batnar
I found a pic of me when my parents and I went to San Fransisco for the first time in June of 89. The movie had already hit the theaters at least 1 week before so we were close to July at that time. Me in my favorite bat shirt, but not so favorite time lol. I was so furious and heartbroken that i never got a batman doll from Applause at the tourist gift shop. They had a CRAP load of Batman movie merchandise.. And all I went home with was my mad magazine. And I was lucky to have that lol... My mom wasn't a huge fan of toys. Bummer.

How I wish I could go back to those years. ....
I never imagined Id be here now 20 years later with a movie replica 89 bat suit in my hands, and all the applause batman dolls i could ever want and then some. lol...   So funny being human.

I love Batman. (Tim Burton's Batman that is. hehe)
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

That's a terrific picture Batnar.  I like it a lot.   :)

you were cute batnar. based on your avy, some things don't change ;)