BATMAN?S ESCAPE FROM AXIS CHEMICALS

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 28 Sep 2010, 20:16

Previous topic - Next topic
I was just wondering if anyone knew of an alternate version of Batman?s departure following Napier?s fall into the vat of chemicals. In the final cut of the film, Batman sees the shadows of some police officers converging on his position, then throws a smoke bomb onto the ground and escapes using the grapple gun.

However, the original script has a slightly more interesting version of this scene where Batman is held at gunpoint by the police and raises his hands in a pretence of surrender. He then flicks two smoke capsules onto the ground and escapes using the grapple gun while the police fumble blindly in the smoke.

QuoteGORDON
                  Goddammit, we had him!

COPS level their guns on Batman.  A couple of them appear
        at either end of the catwalk, effectively blocking his
        escape.  He takes in the situation, HANDS ON HIS BELT.

GORDON
                  Hold it right there..

Batman raises his hands in a gesture of surrender.  As
        the COPS advance from both ends of the catwalk -- he
        flicks two tiny capsules at the nearby wall.

A BLINDING FLASH OF LIGHT.  Colors burst in a wild pyro-
        technic display.  COPS stumble backwards, momentarily
        dazzled, as a THICK WALL OF BLACK SMOKE conceals Batman
        from view.

A tiny grappling hook rockets out of the dense curling
        cloud and catches on the edge of a window in the roof.

COP
                  Look!

The COPS are FIRING WILDLY into the smoke.  But the BLACK
        MAJESTIC FIGURE OF THE Batman whips upward, DISAPPEARING
        into the shadowy heights, safely out of range.

COP
                  ... Who is this guy?

GORDON
                         (to Cop)
                  I don't know and until we find
                  out, keep a lid on it.

This version of the scene is featured in the comic book adaptation.

And after viewing some of the special features on the DVD, there appears to be some behind-the-scenes footage showing this version being filmed.
This picture would also seem to verify that the alternate version was shot.

I?m assuming there was an earlier cut of the film that had this version of the scene intact (along with the scene of Knox being found under Batman?s cape on the steps of the cathedral), and that this served as the basis for the comic adaptation. But can anyone confirm this? And does anyone know why this scene might have been changed? It actually sounds more interesting than the version seen in the final cut.

I believe I've read that the comic adaptation's writer said that they didn't have access to the final cut of the film, so they had to go off of the final script, along with production stills. My best guess is that there was a concern that the suit looked "clunky" in some scenes, notably the Batman vs. Bob fight that was also cut.

I think the film version of the scene is superior. It enhances Batman. He is alert and doesn't allow the police to get near him in the first place. Batman doesn't want to be in a stand-off position. Batman is proactive, and importantly, human. He will avoid conflict whenever possible.

I'm not sure about Gordon and co. storming up to him, either. Given Batman's mystique, I think the police would be wary of closing in on him. Especially in that close proximity. They're happy to shout at him from afar, and they only move in once the smoke is deployed, and Batman is out of there.

It just goes to show that there is a load of stuff (deleted / alternate scenes) still to be presented on a home release!

QuoteI believe I've read that the comic adaptation's writer said that they didn't have access to the final cut of the film, so they had to go off of the final script, along with production stills.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew Jerry Ordway must have had some visual reference to base his art on. It makes more sense for it to be production stills.

QuoteIt enhances Batman. He is alert and doesn't allow the police to get near him in the first place. Batman doesn't want to be in a stand-off position. Batman is proactive, and importantly, human. He will avoid conflict whenever possible.

That?s a good point. And considering this moment follows immediately after he fails to save Napier from falling into the vat of chemicals, audiences might have perceived it as a double-blunder on Batman?s part.

QuoteIt just goes to show that there is a load of stuff (deleted / alternate scenes) still to be presented on a home release!

Let?s keep our fingers crossed for the 25th anniversary. It?s great to see Back to the Future getting a rerelease this autumn. It?d be swell in Batman could get the same treatment in 2014, along with a special edition DVD featuring all the deleted/alternate scenes as extras.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 29 Sep  2010, 17:33

QuoteIt just goes to show that there is a load of stuff (deleted / alternate scenes) still to be presented on a home release!

Let?s keep our fingers crossed for the 25th anniversary. It?s great to see Back to the Future getting a rerelease this autumn. It?d be swell in Batman could get the same treatment in 2014, along with a special edition DVD featuring all the deleted/alternate scenes as extras.

Don't forget an up-to-date interview with Keaton