Batman Returns Limited Edition OST 2 CD Set

Started by Paul (ral), Mon, 16 Aug 2010, 09:01

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you rate the Expanded OST from La-La Land Records?

5 outa 5
13 (76.5%)
4 outa 5
4 (23.5%)
3 outa 5
0 (0%)
2 outa 5
0 (0%)
1 outa 5
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

should have something something up tomorrow to surmise my thoughts. I'm easy to please. Expect nothing but hero worship.   

Having finished with the CD (sans extras and alternates) I can tell you that that even with my laymen's ear, this re mastering was superior to 89s, If such a thing were possible. No slight hiss or anything, that I can tell. My Ipod naturally goes higher In volume than the average CD player and it sounds seamless to me. But, again, I warn, I've a commoners malleus.

Birth of a Penguin/Main title was so big this go round, that I had to lower the volume. It's big, Its more in that looming hallway with the pacing senior cobblepot than ever before.

Penguin Spies Is a track like Face?Off/Beddy Bye from 89, because Its a missing piece I think just about everyone has wanted because, like Beddy Bye (another long SOUGHT piece by yours truly; where Vicki spies Bruce upside down followed by the "get a load of me" scene) It contains a version of penguins theme that, yes, Is recognizable, but not quite like any other version you'll hear ever again. Danny's like that. Gives you a great little motif..and you never hear It again AND It doesn't make the regular album.

Right off of the bat (ha....ha), I must say I was most anxious to hear the extension of Shadow of Doom/Clown Attack/Introducing the Bat that now takes you all the way from the arrival of the giant present box (the cue used to announce It Is a personal fave, long grinding wheels of doom) to Batman eyeing SelIna then booking. I'm not ashamed to say that I had access to the sfx ridden bootleg of the score that's been floating around for years. It hardly did It justice. This release reminded me how the film's score, though dripping with psychological subtext, can still be sweeping and almost 89Ish In Its badassery when the Bat gets pissed, especially once the clowns jump on the hood of the car.

Good to see that the proper Intro and entrance Into the Zoo Is finally In place for Intro/the zoo/the lair. Really no surprises here though. The lair portion was one of the tracks that actually survived the jumbled abridging process on the reg edition from 92, on which It managed to be, I think, the best track that cd had to offer. Stiffer competition this time. You're still moved by Penguins plight and appalled by the underhanded malice and trickery all In just under 6 minutes of music. LOTS of underscore In this one that keeps picking at you like a mauled steak. It's great re mastered. You hear all the little maggots burroughing In the meat.

The first section of, of caught In the act always Intrigued me because It was so under stated and I couldn't hear It well In the old school bootleg due to the quality. It was one of the only cues where everything seems to be running smoothly and uneventful. No kidnappings, no dead princess, yet the cue has enough sizzle on It to draw you In. Now more than ever. The strings play great right as Max prepares to possum SelIna "Eh?! Eh?! hahaha...PUSH SMASH DEAD!"

Kitty Party/SelIna transforms was very Interesting. This Is where you'll start to notice that the drums that accompany SelInas wild side are so much more pronounced In this re mastering. With your eyes closed, In the dark, listening to the portion where the cats revive her Is amplified Inside your mind. I hear more Instruments, percussions. You'll defInitely find you have a better grasp of her character by the cds end.

Penguin's Grand Deed Is completely new and Introduced an Idea Into my head. It's seems that the percussive versions of his theme go almost religious, either In this case, as you would accompany music to a savior, or later In the cemetery or when he falls out of favor back Into his original Intentions, a funeral. Big agonizingly sad, and somehow akin to a christlike figure.

The list begins Is short but worth It. I loves me a proper Intro the batcave.

The cemetery actually encompasses Batman's drive by the hall of records and his silent suspicion. Though a part of the original album, something about It works better here. I could almost dare to say Its my favorite. You can hear the wheels In his head turning.  And  even In thought there Is a lonely despair that follows him where ever he goes. I spent a lot of time thinking about this one. And managed an epiphany. Burton's bat, though not as hands on In the detective work as Nolan's,Is very reminiscent to House MD. or that characters Inspiration, Sherlock Holmes. It's never about finding the clues, they're already right there In front of you. It's arranging them the right way so that It makes sense, and thus, in this case, vindicates your mistrust of human nature and Pengy's established Intentions of goodwill.

more to come.. kinda at work right now.

QuotePenguin's Grand Deed Is completely new and Introduced an Idea Into my head. It's seems that the percussive versions of his theme go almost religious, either In this case, as you would accompany music to a savior, or later In the cemetery or when he falls out of favor back Into his original Intentions, a funeral. Big agonizingly sad, and somehow akin to a christlike figure.

I think part of the reason for the "religious" setting of the themes is due to his self-presentation and internal view of himself as a martyr which masks his true intentions. When he is later turned on, the theme laments more than in these earlier cues, because his attempt at sympathy and "glory" has failed, similarly to anyone who squanders their fifteen minutes of fame and fade into obscurity.

This is one of the many reasons Elfman is a genius. He informs you of the psyche of the character in ways that the script might not necessarily delineate. His music seems to come directly from their minds and not just from a generic "he's the villain, he's the hero" approach. At the same time these themes are catchy hummable and infinitely memorable. I was playing the CD, while a friend of mine (yes I actually and surprisingly have friends!) was getting something from the kitchen, later in the evening the CD was off, and my friend couldn't get the Penguin theme out of his head, he was humming it most of the night!

This is the reason I am so sad that this was Elfman's last Batman score (at least so far, which is wishful thinking on my part I know). I wouldn't want him to just carbon copy these scores for Nolan's or even Schumacher's films, but I find it insulting that Elfman's Batman socres don't get ENOUGH of the recognition  and respect they deserve. At least LaLa Land sees them for what they are; Modern Classics that stand the test of time. I could thank this label a thousand times and it still wouldn't be enough.

Now sadly, I don't have something to look forward to in quite the same capacity as I was in looking forward to these complete releases....

...But there are a few good runner-ups I can think of! ;D
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Sounds good. I'm glad the sound quality is a deafening roar.

I suspect that once I listen to this thing, I?ll be overcome with inspiration and will write a review as well. One that will showcase my supreme skill and talent.

Great article, Dark Knight!
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Fantastic! Puts my own jumbled, uneducated ramble on the matter to shame. Well done! I envy your prose, sir.