Batman Returns Limited Edition OST 2 CD Set

Started by Paul (ral), Mon, 16 Aug 2010, 09:01

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you rate the Expanded OST from La-La Land Records?

5 outa 5
13 (76.5%)
4 outa 5
4 (23.5%)
3 outa 5
0 (0%)
2 outa 5
0 (0%)
1 outa 5
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

All news and opinion here about the new release due in the fall.

What surprises me is that these two great films still had soundtracks or music that were not included upon their initial release. Anyway looking forward to owning the new Batman '89 revised soundtrack and the Returns one when it's released.

Cheers!   ;)

I wonder if we will see cues combined like on the B89 re-release. Like say, Birth of a Penguin and Birth of a Penguin II - Main Title being joined together. Or Selina Tranforms I and Selina Transforms II becoming just Selina Transforms. I wouldn't mind it, to be honest.

Sun, 22 Aug 2010, 10:21 #3 Last Edit: Sun, 22 Aug 2010, 10:24 by SilentEnigma
My gripe with the OST CD is the volume - it's far too low, so the first thing I'm excited about is the improved sound quality we'll get. Also, the film version of "Lair".

Also, the film version of End Credits is different to the album (I prefer the album version, though). Taking into account that the existing OST  is almost 70 minutes long (and CDs have a capacity for 80), there isn't much room for alternate takes, if it's 2-CDs.

Why was Lair I different for the album release, anyway?

CarterOfMars, are the track titles going to be different for existing cues?  

Different editions of the OST have had different titles we've discovered in our research.  It's fascinating.  Until the other day I didn't know there was a track on the CD called "Selina's Electrocution" but apparently it's there on some editions.  We have the titles from the cue sheets but I'm sure we'll address all of these things somehow.

We're still hammering out the details of what to include on this, but it's coming along very nicely and I'm very happy with what we have and how it's all coming together.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 22 Aug  2010, 11:45
Why was Lair I different for the album release, anyway?
It's not uncommon for alternate takes or alternate compositions to be used on albums.  There are several instances of this on Batman Returns, The Lair might just be the most obvious.  In Ubeda, Spain last month there was a soundtrack conference and another alternate version of this cue was debuted there at the La-La Land Records panel.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun, 22 Aug  2010, 10:21
Taking into account that the existing OST  is almost 70 minutes long (and CDs have a capacity for 80), there isn't much room for alternate takes, if it's 2-CDs.
Yeah, that will be an issue I think. Hopefully they can fit everything on.

Mon, 23 Aug 2010, 11:46 #9 Last Edit: Mon, 23 Aug 2010, 17:37 by Paul (ral)
I received a copy of the que sheet (dated 92) recently and although it contains Publisher ownership and track times I have listed the track titles.

I am not sure if this is news to anyone or considered rare but I have been asked not to share the scanned document on the site...hence the post here. I would like to add that it was not supplied by La-La Land Records or anyone on their behalf.

REELS 1- 2
BIRTH OF A PENGUIN

MAIN TITLE

GOD REST YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN

WE WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS

PENGUIN SPIES

SHADOW OF DOOM

CLOWN ATTACK

INTRODUCING THE BAT

REELS 3 - 4
INTRO

THE ZOO