BATMAN 89 LIMITED EDITION 2CD SET!

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 15 Jul 2010, 14:55

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you rate the Expanded OST from La-La Land Records?

5 outa 5
10 (62.5%)
4 outa 5
6 (37.5%)
3 outa 5
0 (0%)
2 outa 5
0 (0%)
1 outa 5
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Sat, 21 Aug 2010, 17:52 #180 Last Edit: Sat, 21 Aug 2010, 18:03 by gordonblu
I have tried it over The 60's show and enjoyed the results. For me comedies play better if the music plays it seriously. Haven't tried the Neal Hefti/Nelson Riddle music on the newer stuff yet. That should be... interesting.

As far as Batman goes, I've experimented with different music over the various films and shows, and in all cases Elfman's music works with practically all of them in ways Goldenthal's and Zimmer's do not.

Shirley Walker's music also works extremely well.

I do understand that I am fairly biased toward Elfman in the first place and my enjoyment might be coming more from the music in the first place.

Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Sat, 21 Aug 2010, 23:22 #181 Last Edit: Sat, 21 Aug 2010, 23:24 by gordonblu
Getting back to the thread topic, I am surprised that the complete score hasn't sold out already. This product was in high demand, and not just from us ravenous Batman/Burton fans. The film score community has been known to snap up every copy of say Predator the minute it comes out and Batman is still available a month after it is released!

I'll blame he who shall not be named, that batman-fan-in-name-only piece of..... Whoops! Don't want to sink to his level! ;D

The CD has been selling very well by all accounts.

Quote from: gordonblu on Sat, 21 Aug  2010, 17:52As far as Batman goes, I've experimented with different music over the various films and shows, and in all cases Elfman's music works with practically all of them in ways Goldenthal's and Zimmer's do not.
Sorry, I don't agree. There is no "one size fits all" deal. I love Elfman as much as anyone, but each individual film score is tailored to each individual film. The score to Batman Returns fits that film like a glove. You cannot transplant that score into the 1960s film, or any other Batman film/television show, and expect it to work. Because it won't. The tone will be off big time. Tragic gloom isn't going to work for bright camp. And the gothic tone of the original isn't going to work at all with Batman Returns. And because of that, Elfman rightly evolved the score and made it suit the visuals. And he would have done so again if he had the chance to score the third.

I know Elfman is the best, and everything else is inferior, but it's not coming back. Zimmer has done his own thing, and good on him. I'm just arguing about the quality of that take. When the differences between the two are night and day, comparisons obviously arise. Others are entitled to like it, but the Zimmer take is the opposite of what I value.

The fact the score we all deem to be definitive rests exclusively with our favourite Batman interpretation makes it more special. 21 years on, It still burns brightly in the eyes of the mainstream. Zimmer didn't want a theme you could hum, and that is a large factor in their popularity, or lack of, IMO.

Sun, 22 Aug 2010, 02:42 #184 Last Edit: Sun, 22 Aug 2010, 02:48 by Darrell Kaiser
Thank you, Dark Knight. I just remembered hear how Nolan wanted Zimmer and Howard to create a score "that people would object to." Looks like they did the job! ;D But, seriously, I think it was just to keep themselves distanced from being compared to the other films. I need to search for it, but I believe Zimmer and Howard first composed a theme for Batman Begins that sounded too similar to Elfman's work, thus the different approach to the music was born.

I decided to take a break from the CD today...

...and put on the Joel McNealy Batman Trilogy CD today  ;D

It is an awesome beast. At first a little different and hard to adjust to (due to the slightly slower pacing) but use of symbols and drums in the finale is breathtaking.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Sun, 22 Aug  2010, 16:58
I decided to take a break from the CD today...

...and put on the Joel McNealy Batman Trilogy CD today  ;D

It is an awesome beast. At first a little different and hard to adjust to (due to the slightly slower pacing) but use of symbols and drums in the finale is breathtaking.

I really like that CD. My only real complaint is the poor mixing of the choir on the Batman Returns cues. The slower pacing can be jarring, but I'm fascinated by the different "flavors" various orchestras give to music. The only time I was appalled by re-recordings was the Prague Philharmonic's attempt at the Spider-Man theme on the "Comic Strip Heroes" album that came out in `06(I think. Might have been `05). The music from Batman used on that album is the same arrangement as the McNeely recording, but the RSNO plays it a little better.

One of my favorite cues on the Batman Trilogy CD is the re-arranged Neal Hefti
theme, probably because it is a radically different take.

Mon, 23 Aug 2010, 21:32 #187 Last Edit: Mon, 14 Feb 2011, 17:02 by THE BAT-MAN
Check this out.

Ok let it be known that I have 1989 limited editon on youtube my name on there is kingdjack3000 also i hope you live in the United States because it's block and some other countries i also have the complete Batman Mask of the Phatasm score
you ever dance with the devil on a pale moon light