BATMAN 89 LIMITED EDITION 2CD SET!

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 15 Jul 2010, 14:55

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you rate the Expanded OST from La-La Land Records?

5 outa 5
10 (62.5%)
4 outa 5
6 (37.5%)
3 outa 5
0 (0%)
2 outa 5
0 (0%)
1 outa 5
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Quote from: Joker81 on Sun,  8 Aug  2010, 22:56However, I found the sound quality of some of the tracks not the best. This is the reason why I give the CD 4 stars.
It's mentioned in the notes and press release that the best quality material available was utilized to make the CD.

Quote from: Joker81 on Sun,  8 Aug  2010, 22:56Also, does anyone find it strange there are no pictures of the Joker, or Vicki Vale in the 20 page booklet?
There weren't photos of them in the original album either.  Using actor likenesses adds considerably to the cost.  Reproducing photos of the actors used in the original album is fine though which is why the Keaton photos are there.

You know, while I generally like it, I?m torn about aspects of the release.

While it?s how it appears in the film, I think with a remaster, things that lurk under the surface should be more audible and distinct. You know, because it's a remaster. Like how they Blu-ray up these prehistoric films.

The filmic Descent into Mystery?s choir chanting is dull and buried. And the drumming in Attack of the Batwing is dulled, too. Yeah, I?m still calling it by that, because that?s what it is. Just like a chapter in a book is always constant. With that stuff dulled, I find it kind of backward. I mean, the sound is still there, but it's been reduced. Why not have it to its full potential? I basically wanted the same quality of the original cues, but extended.

Yes, we have the chanting and more audible drumming with the other cue versions, but it?s a trade off. Say, with the original Attack of the Batwing, we?ve got louder drumming, but it?s an edited, incomplete version. I don?t like that there are lots of different versions of cues. I want there to be one definitive cue for each cue. I?d like to have one Batman track list, not a jumbled set. In that instance, the new set doesn't cancel out the other release. You've got the have the other one to hear other things.

We have all the music here, but it?s a confusing quandary for me to explain.

I know what you're talking about. I miss the choir as well. I also miss the piano toward the end of rooftop fight on the original album.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Tue, 10 Aug  2010, 17:04
I know what you're talking about. I miss the choir as well. I also miss the piano toward the end of rooftop fight on the original album.
The best part is that you have that on the second disc!

Just want to let everyone know I do love the release. With something you love, you want the best possible for it, and excessive worrying and fuss goes on.

If cues in the film had less choir, etc, that's fine. That's the whole point of releasing the film score. Presenting it how it appears in the film.

The only thing I would've done is add the filmic Charge of the Batmobile onto disc one. But that is easily done, and I have done so already.

I remember reading that Danny Elfman didn't like how the score was put together for the film. Does anybody know if the filmic Descent into Mystery is how it is really intended to be? You know, like Danny's true vision? And that goes for all the film version cues.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 13 Aug  2010, 16:02
Does anybody know if the filmic Descent into Mystery is how it is really intended to be? You know, like Danny's true vision?

I doubt Danny even remembers that now  :)

Sat, 14 Aug 2010, 01:48 #136 Last Edit: Mon, 14 Feb 2011, 17:00 by THE BAT-MAN
Has anyone ever noticed how different the musical score is presented in the Shadows Of The Bat: The Cinematic Saga Of The Dark Knight documentary?

What I mean is, if you listen carefully at the end of "The Road To Gotham City" The music being used is when Batman is flying the Batwing and he releases Joker's balloons.  You can clearly hear more brass in the orchestra and less percussion.  Yet on the Expanded Cd release you can hear more percussion and less Brass.

Here is another example.  At the beginning of "The Gathering Storm." The music being used is Waltz To The Death.  You can clearly hear a more heavy emphasis on the drums.  Yet on both the Expanded Cd and The Original Soundtrack.  The drums are not played as heavily.

Here is "The Gathering Storm" listen carefully at the drums at the beginning it starts 13 seconds in after Joker dances with vicki.

I did notice that the drums were more muted out in Waltz to the Death.

I have written my thoughts on the release and a short Q&A with La-La Land's Matt Verboys here:

http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/features.php?display=82

Sat, 14 Aug 2010, 15:53 #139 Last Edit: Sat, 14 Aug 2010, 15:55 by gordonblu
Awesome article Ral!
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?