BATMAN 89 LIMITED EDITION 2CD SET!

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 15 Jul 2010, 14:55

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you rate the Expanded OST from La-La Land Records?

5 outa 5
10 (62.5%)
4 outa 5
6 (37.5%)
3 outa 5
0 (0%)
2 outa 5
0 (0%)
1 outa 5
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Sat, 21 Aug 2010, 01:41 #170 Last Edit: Sat, 21 Aug 2010, 01:48 by gordonblu

Here's another good one:

Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Sat, 21 Aug 2010, 03:01 #171 Last Edit: Sat, 21 Aug 2010, 03:16 by Darrell Kaiser
Thank you for proving my point that it doesn't work. While it is cool to hear the superior Danny Elfman Batman Theme, everything else doesn't mix. Decent Into Mystery is not a track the emphasises action, as it is used in the chase from The Dark Knight. It's doesn't have "mystery" in the title for nothing. The Batman to the Rescue cue placed on the emphasis on the heroics of Batman rescuing Vicki from The Joker and the thugs. The car chase scene in Begins places emphasis on tension, as Rachel is poisoned and it is absolutely urgent that Batman gets her back to the Batcave or she will die. It's not exactly "heroic" to see him run over police cars and drive on rooftops.

Quote from: gordonblu on Fri, 20 Aug  2010, 19:41
At least Elfman's sound would be mimicked instead of using droning ambiance to create a "theme".
Yeah. Zimmer's scores ammount to the build up of tension in cues like Surgery/Face Off, and the beginning of Descent into Mystery. I agree Elfman's music is out of place with Nolan's films. And I wouldn't want it used by association. Elfman's Batman score is unique to Burton, and Burton alone. I'm saying Elfman's music is in the spirt of the character and his roots. Where Nolan's realism has stripped away all the magic and reduced it to generic action film noise, that just so happens to have some guy riding around on a Bat-pod.

I can tell you that The Tumbler and the Bat-Pod got a hell of a lot more mileage than the Burton films' Batmobile, but that was because of the restrictions of the areas they had to film them in. Burton had studio lots and Nolan had the entire city of Chicago.

Oh, and another thing I dislike about Zimmer's Batman soundtracks is that they're collages and not arranged properly. All the cues are jumbled together. With Elfman, the cues are pure and in the order of the scene as it progresses on screen.

Hmm-mmm. Two different directors with two different approaches to the score. Doesn't that make your blood run swiftly?

Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Sat, 21 Aug  2010, 04:18
Hmm-mmm. Two different directors with two different approaches to the score. Doesn't that make your blood run swiftly?
I wouldn?t say it makes my blood boil. Different approaches are to be expected. But I know what I like, and what I dislike. And I back up those opinions with reasoning.

Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Sat, 21 Aug  2010, 03:01
Thank you for proving my point that it doesn't work. While it is cool to hear the superior Danny Elfman Batman Theme, everything else doesn't mix. Decent Into Mystery is not a track the emphasises action, as it is used in the chase from The Dark Knight. It's doesn't have "mystery" in the title for nothing. The Batman to the Rescue cue placed on the emphasis on the heroics of Batman rescuing Vicki from The Joker and the thugs. The car chase scene in Begins places emphasis on tension, as Rachel is poisoned and it is absolutely urgent that Batman gets her back to the Batcave or she will die. It's not exactly "heroic" to see him run over police cars and drive on rooftops.

Now this is where we differ. To me, it just feels right to hear that theme with this (or any) Batman. IMO Danny didn't write the music just for Burton's films, he wrote an iconic theme for the iconic character period. It's on par (or better depending on your preferences) to John Williams' Superman. That is a well respected piece of music (in terms of re-usage), and this is, to date, not.

p.s. About 20 seconds in  on "I'm Not A Hero" on the Dark Knight album is an interesting little passage.

Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Sat, 21 Aug 2010, 17:11 #179 Last Edit: Sat, 21 Aug 2010, 17:31 by Darrell Kaiser
Okay, so you're saying if they played Elfman's theme in the 60's Batman, it would still work? Also, that could be taken the other way around of using the 60's Batman theme in the '89 film, since many find that to be the mostly associated musical theme to Batman. It would be largely out of place. Just as Burton and company wanted to distance themselves from the 60's show, which was well defined in the public eye (not comic fans, mind you) as the vision of Batman, Nolan and company did the same and it turned out to be successful, just as Burton's.