Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Started by phantom stranger, Mon, 5 Jul 2010, 05:07

Previous topic - Next topic
Zack Snyder recently shared a picture of Henry Cavill screen-testing in one of the old L&C suits.

Cain has confirmed it's one of his on Twitter.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  8 May  2018, 23:06
Zack Snyder recently shared a picture of Henry Cavill screen-testing in one of the old L&C suits.

Cain has confirmed it's one of his on Twitter.

I read somewhere that what Cavill tried on was a replica of Reeve's outfit, not an original. Which makes sense since the original was tailored for Reeve's exact specs which Cavill is unlikely to match. As an example, Reeve and Howard Stern are basically the same height. But the suit fit Reeve perfectly while Stern couldn't get it much past his shoulders.

A Cain outfit? Not unless somebody swapped out the symbol (and why would they do that??). I don't think that the L&C symbol at all.

Frankly, that suit doesn't look like a Reeve or Cain original. Maybe Snyder was being vague or inaccurate as short hand to wish a friend a happy birthday rather than offer detailed explanations about things.

I suppose it could be a composite assembled from different suits. The colour and texture of the bodysuit are closer to Cain's costume than Reeve's, as is the length of the cape. Cain was also the closest in height and build to Cavill, making his outfit the logical choice if they needed to recycle one.

However the s-shield looks more like Reeve's.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  8 May  2018, 23:17
A Cain outfit? Not unless somebody swapped out the symbol (and why would they do that??).

The oversized 's' is the most common online criticism I've seen of Cain's costume, with many fans saying they prefer the smaller 's' from the pilot episode.

The pilot also features a version of the costume without a chest emblem. Could this be the one used in Cavil's screen test, only with a more recent s-shield attached?

It would be cheaper to modify an existing suit than create a new one from scratch. Christian Bale wore a specially modified version of one of the Schumacher batsuits for his Batman screen test.

It's possible Snyder had one whipped up from scratch, but I would've expected him to go for a sculpted rubber suit than a spandex outfit like this. But who can say? I'd be interested to find out where this suit came from, even if it is an original.

Teri Hatcher recently attended Comic-Con to film interviews for her Van Therapy YouTube series. And which comic book character did she go dressed as?

Lois Lane.

Some big-brained types are suggesting this was guerrilla campaigning for some kind of L&C revival.

I... don't know.

I don't know either. I think L&C was of its time. A revival would be polluted with current day nonsense ala Supergirl.

But Teri does look great in that outfit.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 25 Jul  2018, 05:26
I don't know either. I think L&C was of its time. A revival would be polluted with current day nonsense ala Supergirl.

I've always hated the comparisons between Supergirl and Lois & Clark. I consider it an insult to L&C. But yeah, you're right about L&C being of its time. It hails from an age when Warner Bros boasted a line-up of hit shows like Batman: TAS, Friends and Babylon 5. I don't think WB could replicate their nineties TV glory in 2018. If they did L&C now, it'd be another generic CW series like all the rest. The original show's charm would be suffocated beneath heavy-handed 21st century politics. It just wouldn't be the same.

What I would like to see though is a comic book continuation similar to Smallville Season 11, Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77. In fact I'd like to see a whole imprint of nineties-influenced DC Comics titles that would include continuations of Burton's Batman films, the John Wesley Shipp Flash series and L&C, all set within the same universe. Alternatively, it'd be great if Cain and Hatcher could voice different versions of their characters in a DC animated movie. I'm not sure if Hatcher would be up for it, but I'm sure Cain would. I've always thought his Superman looked a bit like the Alex Ross version, so maybe he could voice him in a Kingdom Come adaptation.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 26 Jul  2018, 17:44
I've always hated the comparisons between Supergirl and Lois & Clark. I consider it an insult to L&C.
Agree, and I have not compared them. L&C is a MUCH better show. I hand on heart have not watched a single episode of Supergirl. I have only watched one YT clip of the underwhelming lead actress choosing her costume. I wasn't impressed. The blatant political nature of the show (and persuasion) is obvious from what I read though. Seriously, get it the F*** outta there. Just give the masses a show to enjoy without the bull**** preaching. I yearn for the simplistic fun days of L&C. 
But yeah, you're right about L&C being of its time. It hails from an age when Warner Bros boasted a line-up of hit shows like Batman: TAS, Friends and Babylon 5. I don't think WB could replicate their nineties TV glory in 2018. If they did L&C now, it'd be another generic CW series like all the rest. The original show's charm would be suffocated beneath heavy-handed 21st century politics. It just wouldn't be the same.
Precisely. L&C has a dated, cheesy feel IN A GOOD WAY that simply cannot be replicated now.
I'm not sure if Hatcher would be up for it, but I'm sure Cain would.
I don't know...she might be. She's met Dean in recent times and attends conventions. I keep an eye on her Instagram page from time to time for uh, research purposes. I don't have a problem with Teri.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 27 Jul  2018, 01:20Agree, and I have not compared them. L&C is a MUCH better show. I hand on heart have not watched a single episode of Supergirl. I have only watched one YT clip of the underwhelming lead actress choosing her costume. I wasn't impressed. The blatant political nature of the show (and persuasion) is obvious from what I read though. Seriously, get it the F*** outta there. Just give the masses a show to enjoy without the bull**** preaching. I yearn for the simplistic fun days of L&C. 

I suspect most of the people who compare the two shows are folks who never actually watched Lois & Clark, but are vaguely aware it had a tongue-in-cheek tone. Sadly ours is one of the few sites that gives the series the respect it deserves.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 27 Jul  2018, 01:20Precisely. L&C has a dated, cheesy feel IN A GOOD WAY that simply cannot be replicated now.

That's a good point. Being dated can be a wonderful thing if the product in question encapsulates the best qualities of the era in which it was created. And arguably Lois & Clark did. It's the product of a more innocent age, before the entertainment industry became bogged down in identity politics.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 27 Jul  2018, 01:20I don't know...she might be. She's met Dean in recent times and attends conventions. I keep an eye on her Instagram page from time to time for uh, research purposes. I don't have a problem with Teri.

I've lost track of Hatcher since Desperate Housewives ended, so I'm not really sure what she's been up to lately. But it would be fantastic if she could reprise the role in some form or other. She brought the perfect balance of pluckiness, humour, strength, vulnerability and charm to the part. To me, she'll always be the definitive Lois.

I started re-watching this show earlier in the week (the perfect antidote to lockdown blues), and I spotted a Batman Returns connection I'd never noticed before. It's in the second episode of season one, 'Strange Visitor (From Another Planet)'. At one point Jimmy Olsen refers to Cat Grant as "the Cat woman":

Quote"Hey, CK, it's all over the newsroom. You and the Cat-woman. I didn't think anybody could come up with something as juicy as yesterday's raid, but you've done it."

The incident Jimmy is referring to here occurs earlier in the episode, when Clark visits Cat's apartment. When Cat rummages through her bedroom closet, she takes out a dress with a familiar dry-cleaning logo on the hanger. It reads "dress up with professional drycleaning" and bears an image of two penguins, one of which is wearing a top hat and tuxedo.

Could this be a nod to DeVito's Penguin, or is it merely a coincidence? Well it's no coincidence, since this is the same dry-cleaning logo that was hanging in Selina Kyle's bedroom closet in Batman Returns.

Evidently this particular dry-cleaning service is favoured by Cat-women. This also adds fuel to my theory that the nineties Batman movies and Superman TV show take place in the same universe. I'm going to go ahead and add this to the IMDb connections page.