Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Started by phantom stranger, Mon, 5 Jul 2010, 05:07

Previous topic - Next topic
Wow, eagle-eyed catch there. If I'd thought about it at all, I would've assumed that movies and shows use the same basic props. Like how characters in media always read the same newspaper prop. But the penguin thing makes me wonder. Weird. Good catch tho.

Yeah, I think the top hat and tuxedo are a little too specific for it to be a coincidence. Unless of course there's a real dry-cleaning service that uses that logo. We'll have to keep an eye out for it in other Warner Bros movies and TV shows from that era.

Fans of Lois & Clark might enjoy this recent video chat between Hatcher and Cain. I haven't watched it all myself yet, but it sounds like they cover some interesting topics.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 10 Jun  2020, 16:54
I started re-watching this show earlier in the week (the perfect antidote to lockdown blues), and I spotted a Batman Returns connection I'd never noticed before. It's in the second episode of season one, 'Strange Visitor (From Another Planet)'. At one point Jimmy Olsen refers to Cat Grant as "the Cat woman":

Quote"Hey, CK, it's all over the newsroom. You and the Cat-woman. I didn't think anybody could come up with something as juicy as yesterday's raid, but you've done it."

The incident Jimmy is referring to here occurs earlier in the episode, when Clark visits Cat's apartment. When Cat rummages through her bedroom closet, she takes out a dress with a familiar dry-cleaning logo on the hanger. It reads "dress up with professional drycleaning" and bears an image of two penguins, one of which is wearing a top hat and tuxedo.

Could this be a nod to DeVito's Penguin, or is it merely a coincidence? Well it's no coincidence, since this is the same dry-cleaning logo that was hanging in Selina Kyle's bedroom closet in Batman Returns.

Evidently this particular dry-cleaning service is favoured by Cat-women. This also adds fuel to my theory that the nineties Batman movies and Superman TV show take place in the same universe. I'm going to go ahead and add this to the IMDb connections page.

Ok, this is weird. I was watching Scanner Cop (1994), aka Scanners 4, on Amazon Prime the other night, when what do I see hanging in the main character's locker?

Either this was a real dry cleaning service in LA at the time, or whichever graphic designer created the original label for Batman Returns made more that ended up being acquired by a prop house servicing other film and TV productions. 'Strange Visitor (From Another Planet)' and Scanner Cop were both shot in 1993, one year after Batman Returns came out. Has anyone spotted one of these penguin hangers in any other films or TV shows?

Someone made a meme out of TV characters reading the exact same newspaper for decades across multiple TV shows. What eventually came out is that a lot of newspaper props you see in movies and shows all say the same thing as a matter of course. It's like how most phone numbers begin with 555 in movies and shows. It's funny once you notice it but there's no deeper meaning to it.

Maybe the same thing is going on with the coat hangers?

Via HBO Max:

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Watched a little bit of 'All Shook Up'. And while the overall picture quality is definitely improved, anything to do with green screen or other effects still looks pretty shaky. I assume there are technical (and budgetary) reasons for that. Still, it was pretty noticeable. Looked like someone upscaled the effects shots from DVD masters or something.

Thu, 5 Aug 2021, 11:50 #36 Last Edit: Thu, 5 Aug 2021, 12:08 by Kamdan
The special effects shots definitely have been upconverted while non-special effects scenes have been sourced from the original film elements. Still a fantastic way to rewatch the series! I'm looking forward to The Flash '90 getting this treatment which I'm sure will be available when the new film comes out.

I've been re-watching the New Krypton arc over the past few nights, and I was intrigued by the missing credit for the actor who voices Nor/Zod in season 3. In the first two episodes of season 4, when Nor finally appears on screen, he's portrayed by Legacy of Kain actor Simon Templeman (my second favourite live action version of Zod after Terence Stamp). But in the last two episodes of season 3, when we hear Nor's voice but don't actually see him, he's played by a different actor. This actor isn't credited on screen, nor does the IMDb list anyone as 'uncredited' in the role. However, I'm 95% sure it's Neil Dickson. Here's Dickson as Edward Roivas in the trailer for Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (2002).

And here, at the 1:30 mark, is the voice of Lord Nor in L&C season 3.

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I could swear that was the same voice. I'm going to try adding this to his IMDb page and see if the site moderators can verify it was him.

Dean and Teri reunited at a convention last month.