Dick Tracy's 20th Anniversary

Started by Kamdan, Mon, 3 May 2010, 05:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Tue,  4 May  2010, 05:13
I was just about to ask you about that Tarzan. What you need to do is go page 258 and see if the chapter ends there. If it ends on that page, then you have the copy which didn't revile The Blank's identity. I have both editions of the book.

OK I just checked, I have the one where it does not reveal The Blank's identity.  So Breathless' final scene then, in this version of the book, is of her and Dick Tracy talking in the night club where she points to the wine cellar?  Interesting.... Well, I guess I have two things to do:  read this book and find the second version of this book.  I can just imagine how many Ebay sellers are going to be going, "What kind of question is that?  Why in the hell does he want me to check page 258?!"  Thank you for answering my question!

Tue, 4 May 2010, 12:22 #11 Last Edit: Tue, 4 May 2010, 12:45 by Darrell Kaiser
Oh, don't be afraid to ask. I had to ask that question in order to find that edition. I think the idea in the first printings was to imply that Breathless was The Blank without coming right out and saying it. It comes off very botched and it could have been done WAY better, since it is built up throughout the novel as to who it may be. Also, it's interesting to note how The Blank wants Tracy and Big Boy dead, while in the film, The Blank just wants Big Boy dead, by the hands of Tracy. This apparently was changed, as evident by Breathless' last word, "You were right. I couldn't pull the trigger." It's a weird edit and I hope that it will properly restored in the director's cut.

If you're interested, there is a good making of Dick Tracy book out there, along with two sequels to the novelization titled Dick Tracy Goes to War and Dick Tracy Meets His Match, both written by Collins.

Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Tue,  4 May  2010, 12:22
Oh, don't be afraid to ask. I had to ask that question in order to find that edition. I think the idea in the first printings was to imply that Breathless was The Blank without coming right out and saying it. It comes off very botched and it could have been done WAY better, since it is built up throughout the novel as to who it may be. Also, it's interesting to note how The Blank wants Tracy and Big Boy dead, while in the film, The Blank just wants Big Boy dead, by the hands of Tracy. This apparently was changed, as evident by Breathless' last word, "You were right. I couldn't pull the trigger." It's a weird edit and I hope that it will properly restored in the director's cut.

If you're interested, there is a good making of Dick Tracy book out there, along with two sequels to the novelization titled Dick Tracy Goes to War and Dick Tracy Meets His Match, both written by Collins.

OK Darrell, I just sent out a bunch of emails asking the sellers on Ebay which version they are selling.  My new question is, how many total pages are in the version that does reveal The Blank's identity?  I saw one have a listing of 272, but I went ahead and asked anyway.

What about Dick Tracy: The Secret Files written by Collins and Martin H. Greenberg?  Is it worth a spin?

Mine is at 262.

It is interesting. It's just a collection of short stories.

Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Tue,  4 May  2010, 21:42
Mine is at 262.

It is interesting. It's just a collection of short stories.

So both versions end on page 262?  

Out of the 12 emails I sent out, I got 8 responses back, with only 2 of them offering the revealing of the identity.  One of the books is a little too banged up for my taste, but the price is right.  I am going to see if the other four remaining emails get answered before I move on anything.

Do you have the Topps set or factory card set?  I am kicking myself in the butt now, and should have bought the factory card set when I saw it at this collector mall I go to a lot.  It was $10.00.  It sat there for the longest time, and with each visit the box got a little more banged up and a little more banged up, until one day I go inside and the vendor and all of the merchandise is gone.  I see there are some sets on Ebay and may pick one up.

Last fall I went to a book sale and I managed to pick up the Warren Beatty/Dick Tracy Rolling Stone issue from 1990 for like $0.50.  Then today while I was out and about I found two different Applause Dick Tracy figures (about four inches in height) for $5.00 a piece.  I didn't buy them today, but I have a sneaking suspicion they'll be there for awhile and will see if the price goes down any.

I remember a lot of that merchandise sold during 1990.  There was a store in my local mall called Trade Marxx and it sold mostly two things:  Budwiser paraphernalia and whatever happened to be the movie of the summer.  I remember the Roger Rabbit craze of '88, Batman in '89, and Dick Tracy in '90.  Those are the three movies and their merchandise that stick out in my mind, so I am not sure if The Rocketeer made it there or not.  All I know is that, what was once a really great store went to hell with the NASCAR boom of the mid-90s as they began selling a ton of that stuff and then just one day too, it was gone.  Did anyone else have that store in their neighborhoods?

The condensed version I have is at 261 pages. That copy is in better shape than the other one, so you won?t be alone on that one.

I do have a bunch of those, along with a bunch of other merchandise like a backpack, lunchbox, paddle ball, yoyo, toys, etc. I have two copies of the script. The first one was when John Landis and Walter Hill were slated to direct and the second is the one that was used during the production of the film. I also have that same Rolling Stone magazine, with the Herb Ritts photo of Tracy and the bad guys. I also have a bunch of other magazines that covered the production, all in a red folder. 

Sat, 8 May 2010, 01:19 #16 Last Edit: Sat, 8 May 2010, 01:22 by Tarzan1941
Well I didn't hear back from a couple of the sellers, so I put on hold purchasing the expanded novel for now.  I decided to grab while I could The Making of Waterworld book.  I had been wanting it for a long time and the price was good for the getting, so I got it!  Funny thing is, according to the tracking number, it should be here today.  However, it is now 8 PM my time and the mail carrier STILL hasn't come yet.  

I was at the library today and found a Batman graphic novel that Collins did and discovered that he lives only roughly 2 hours away from me.  Oh the things we learn when were not really looking for the answer.....

So I found this depressing picture the other day.

According to the description, the car is on the backlot of Disney MGM.  Is it me, or does that just seem wrong to anyone else?  Shouldn't it be a museum or some other dignified place?  Also, does it look like in background, the first vehicle in the line, is that an airplane is sitting there?  I have to wonder if that is from The Rocketeer.... ?

That's the white Gee-Bee back there!

Mon, 10 May 2010, 01:06 #18 Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2010, 01:11 by Tarzan1941
Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Sun,  9 May  2010, 07:23
That's the white Gee-Bee back there!

And look at her now......  What a crime.   :-[

And if you think that is bad and grew up on Flight of the Navigator check this out:

Yeah, it's sad. Most movie props and sets are either: Sold off, destroyed, or left to rot.  :(