Kim Basinger Tried Out for Catwoman

Started by phantom stranger, Thu, 18 Mar 2010, 16:44

Previous topic - Next topic
Come on Kim, let someone else have a chance!

QuoteWhen a pregnant Annette Bening dropped out as Catwoman in Tim Burton's Batman II, there was hardly an actress in L.A. whose whiskers didn't twitch, from the oh-so-desperate Sean Young (who pranced onto Joan Rivers' talk show in a leather Catwoman getup) to the ultimate winner, Michelle Pfeiffer. (Other rumored contenders: Raquel Welch, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Lena Olin, Ellen Barkin, Cher, Bridget Fonda, Susan Sarandon, and even Batman's Vicky Vale, Kim Basinger.)

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,315097,00.html

It wouldn't have worked because people will still call her Vicki Vale, there will be no separation from that character t the audience no matter how good the performance was. Basinger had always said how she loved the experience of Batman '89 so I guess she wanted more.  ;)

Well, presumably Vicki Vale would've become Catwoman. Perhaps she was doing an expose on a certain evil industrialist and got a bit too close to the truth.

I like that phantom, I guess we will never know.  ;D

I think I would have even preferred Basinger over Annette Bening.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 24 Mar  2010, 13:37

I think I would have even preferred Basinger over Annette Bening.

Sure, but not if it meant that Vicki Vale would become Catwoman.

I read an old article recently that stated that other than Bening and Pfeiffer that the other chief contenders for the role included Julia Roberts, Lena Olin and Ellen Barkin.  Although I'm more than happy that the role went to Pfeiffer, who was then arguably the most beautiful and on e of the most talented female stars in Hollywood, I do think those other key choices would have had interesting and valid albeit very different takes on the character.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Basinger turning up in Returns with the name Selina Kyle slapped on instead of Vicki Vale would not have worked. Even if they removed continuity altogether for the sequel, it's too soon to be doing such a thing.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 24 Mar  2010, 14:43
other chief contenders for the role included Julia Roberts, Lena Olin and Ellen Barkin.

Aw, no Cher?

;D

I'm just thankful the seed of Dick Tracy intervened, which resulted in the exit of Bening and the casting of Pfeiffer.  8)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I purposefully didn't mention Cher since I can't believe that she was ever a realistic prospect back in 1991.  Neither did I mention Madonna who was also associated with the role at one stage, just the ones I personally think would have done a decent job (if not quite as excellent as Pfeiffer).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.