Nolan to mentor Superman reboot

Started by The Dark Knight, Tue, 9 Feb 2010, 16:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Personally, I'm quite enthusiastic about this.  Snyder was by far the best of the options available; I'd cringe at a Tony Scott Superman film.

Although I wasn't overly fond of 300 that had less to do with Snyder's direction than with Frank Miller's semi-fascist source graphic novel.  However, Watchmen was a very faithful adaptation IMO, and let's be honest, the ending made far more sense than the giant octopus alien fron the original graphic novel.

Like TDK says, the film is bound to look good if nothing else, and unlike Bryan Singer, Snyder can at least direct action sequences.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Tue, 5 Oct 2010, 20:44 #121 Last Edit: Tue, 5 Oct 2010, 21:16 by gordonblu
I'm not saying the space octopus was better. I felt he dumbed down the story and over-emphasized the violence to be cool instead of blunt and shocking like the comic. Watchmen was a tad better than 300 but not by much. As for his action directing, slo-mo gets old REALLY quickly.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Snyder is a great choice. Together with Nolan/Goyer, I'm confident we'll get something innovative. Will it be good? I don't know.

But after SR, I've lowered my standards for a Superman movie. As long as it has at least one cool action scene where Superman actually fights a super-villain, I'll be happy.

Aw, who am I kidding? I'm a fanboy and I'll find something to bitch about.

What interests me above else with this project is how they will address Superman's relevance in today's world. How the character seems to have a richer past, but a more uncertain future.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  6 Oct  2010, 02:33
What interests me above else with this project is how they will address Superman's relevance in today's world.

That was pretty much the synopsis of Superman Returns in the press release that came out many years ago. There's certainly a lot of potential for a philosophical approach to the character, but it has to be executed correctly. Singer wasn't able to pull it off.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Wed,  6 Oct  2010, 03:09
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  6 Oct  2010, 02:33
What interests me above else with this project is how they will address Superman's relevance in today's world.

That was pretty much the synopsis of Superman Returns in the press release that came out many years ago. There's certainly a lot of potential for a philosophical approach to the character, but it has to be executed correctly. Singer wasn't able to pull it off.
No, he wasn't. It will be interesting if they go in the same direction as Singer, but try and explain and emphasise it more. Or somehow try and connect with the audience in an altogether new way which hasn't been widely thought of. Which I see them doing. To warrant Nolan's involvement and a green lighting, it would have to be revolutionary and bold you would think.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Wed,  6 Oct  2010, 01:47
Aw, who am I kidding? I'm a fanboy and I'll find something to bitch about.

;D

Finally got a break from work, and read the news on a movie website. Wow! We finally got an actual director for the Superman reboot now? Awesome! And it's Synder? Hmm .... interesting to see how this one plays out.

With Synder on board, one of the major X factor's I'm going to be paying attention to, is Nolan's continued involvement with this project. As I am VERY interested in the story, tone, and quality of effects this thing is going for. Personally, I like a few of Synder's directorial efforts, and find him to be a decent choice. His affinity for these kinds of films is very apparent, and not something I would consider detrimental.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Uh oh.

Here are some troubling key points.

- Aronofsky wanted to direct the movie.
- WB needs the movie made now.
- WB was not willing to wait for Aronofsky to put his own stamp on it.
- Snyder was not the first choice for director.
- He was chosen because WB believe he can get the movie up quickly.
- Snyder himself has apparently described Goyer's script as "a mess".
- The article describes the script as having been "rushed" by Goyer.
- The story involves a globe-trotting Kent trying to decide if he should be Superman.
- Aronofsky instead looks likely to take up Fox on their offer to direct Wolverine 2.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/10/fox_offers_wolverine_2_to_aronofsky.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+nymag/vulture+(Vulture+-+nymag.com

I really don't know what to make of this. The Superman movie franchise is probably more dear to me than the Batman one - mainly because of Chris Reeve, Dick Donner and John Williams to mention the big players.

I enjoyed Watchmen and thought the adaption was the best we could have gotten from the source material - for today's audience - though it does get blsted by some.

I am giving Snyder the benefit of the doubt on this one. So long as the same mistakes that SR aren't made (and they don't make new ones!) I will be happy.

As for Superman himself? Get the suit right, get the man right and the rest will follow.

I haven't heard Snyder bash Goyer's script but that would be troubling. Snyder, lets not forget, said the Superman character wasn't suited for todays cinema (or words to that effect) and previously said he didn't want to do it. I worry about his motivations. Donner saw Superman as a piece of Americana that should be preserved and celebrated...what does Snyder see him as? A meal ticket?

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Wed,  6 Oct  2010, 10:07
I haven't heard Snyder bash Goyer's script but that would be troubling.

He hasn't. From what I've read, Snyder has given praise to both Goyer and Nolan in their story ideas. Which resulted in supposedly giving him new insight on how to tackle the character for modern audiences.

QuoteSnyder, lets not forget, said the Superman character wasn't suited for todays cinema (or words to that effect) and previously said he didn't want to do it. I worry about his motivations. Donner saw Superman as a piece of Americana that should be preserved and celebrated...what does Snyder see him as? A meal ticket?

That's one way of looking at it.

Another way would be that Snyder needed that 'hook' to get him interested and thinking about the project more seriously. Did a meeting with Nolan and Goyer provide that hook? Certainly seems plausible. But if it was indeed perhaps an informative presentation by two talented men that ultimately opened Snyder's eyes to the possibilities, and hooked him into the project, that's fine with me. Everyone has their interpretations and ideas for such and such characters, much like Burton with the Batman films, and if the three of these guys collaborating on this project results in a pleasing Superman movie (it's been FAR too long now), then that's just outstanding.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."