Nolan to mentor Superman reboot

Started by The Dark Knight, Tue, 9 Feb 2010, 16:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 12 Mar  2010, 05:54
Ya know, people p*** on the guy all the time but he's got a lot of the right tools for the job. 

Well I'm sorry but I'm going to one of those people.  Bay is a borderline-atrocious director, whose only forte is shooting massive explosions in about a billion different shots per frame.  He has no depth, no substance and most fatally as far as Superman is concerned, no heart.

QuoteHe's also an action hero.  He's of that world.  Given a decent enough script, I don't question Bay's ability to make a good Superman film.  Plus, Bay's patriotism and American flag imagery is a natural fit for Superman.

Sure, if I want the next Superman film to be an advert for the Republican party timed nicely for Sarah Palin's dreaded 2012 campaign Bay's brand of bull-headed patriotism would be a great fit.  Superman already fights for 'truth, justice and the American way', and I have no problem keeping the quote as it was originally intended before Singer got involved, but we already know that Superman is an upstanding, decent American.  Do we treally need a director to ram that fact down everyone's collective throats?  Besides, how do you think such a conceit will play across the international box-office?

In any case, the rumour mill quite clearly states that Nolan will not be directing the film.  I agree that his directorial sensibility would not be a good fit for Superman, but I'm sure he's got the savvy in his role as producer to find a director who can do the character justice.  Personally, I think J J Abrams would be an ideal fit after his impressive work reviving the Star Trek and Mission: Impossible franchises, though since he usually produces his own projects it's unlikely he'd work under Nolan.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 12 Mar  2010, 05:54
He's also an action hero.  He's of that world.  Given a decent enough script, I don't question Bay's ability to make a good Superman film.  Plus, Bay's patriotism and American flag imagery is a natural fit for Superman.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 12 Mar  2010, 15:10Sure, if I want the next Superman film to be an advert for the Republican party timed nicely for Sarah Palin's dreaded 2012 campaign Bay's brand of bull-headed patriotism would be a great fit.  Superman already fights for 'truth, justice and the American way', and I have no problem keeping the quote as it was originally intended before Singer got involved, but we already know that Superman is an upstanding, decent American.
Do we?  Singerman didn't play that element.  SV hasn't either.

And this is not to speak of how unlikeable Singerman as a person was; not exactly upstanding or decent.

QuoteBesides, how do you think such a conceit will play across the international box-office?
Do we water down James Bond?  Do we try to make Harry Potter more international to play with non-British audiences?

No.

International audiences aren't stupid.  They know that it is an American character published by an American comic book company.  Something tells me they're okay with that.

QuoteIn any case, the rumour mill quite clearly states that Nolan will not be directing the film.
Up until a few days ago, it also clearly indicated that the Goyer + Nolan stuff wasn't true.

To be fair, Chris Nolan will most likely not direct the thing... but I plan ahead and if he does direct it, WB will be officially dead to me.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 12 Mar  2010, 15:10

Sure, if I want the next Superman film to be an advert for the Republican party timed nicely for Sarah Palin's dreaded 2012 campaign Bay's brand of bull-headed patriotism would be a great fit.  Superman already fights for 'truth, justice and the American way', and I have no problem keeping the quote as it was originally intended before Singer got involved, but we already know that Superman is an upstanding, decent American.  Do we treally need a director to ram that fact down everyone's collective throats?  Besides, how do you think such a conceit will play across the international box-office?

since you people across the pond seem to think we suck, yea i think it does need to be rammed down your throats. a nice little refresher. :)

i don't know about anyone else here, but i've never seen a t-shirt with the superman s-symbol made to look like the union jack. the stars and stripes are a different story.

now just because you arrogant brits think you can do anything better than us (newsflash: you cant) doesn't mean you can try to take american superheroes (yes their appeal is worldwide but it started here in the states!) and mold them to fit how you THINK they should be when they've been american symbols, superman especially, since the 1930s!

since everyone around the world loves to talk sh*t about us and hates us because of george bush, i can't think of anything better to try to show people that america is still great than to do a superman american pride movie.

and if you don't like it, bite my red, white, and blue ass! ;D

Sun, 14 Mar 2010, 01:19 #93 Last Edit: Sun, 14 Mar 2010, 01:21 by Catwoman
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 12 Mar  2010, 17:27Do we water down James Bond?  Do we try to make Harry Potter more international to play with non-British audiences?

if they mess with supes, in the next james bond movie he better walk into a bar and say "my name's jimmy, give me a bud."

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 12 Mar  2010, 17:27
Do we water down James Bond?  Do we try to make Harry Potter more international to play with non-British audiences?

No.

International audiences aren't stupid.  They know that it is an American character published by an American comic book company.  Something tells me they're okay with that.

Exactly. Superman is an American character and that should be embraced. Even if it is not, for some insane reason, it is the elephant in the room.

Audiences know where these characters hail from and nationality should not be a shameful thing to display. When an entire nation is politicalized and cloaked - in a comic world, it's a sad day.

It's like the ski jump in The Spy Who Loved Me. Bond pulls his ripcord and out comes a Union Jack parachute. There is no problem at all with Superman standing next to an American flag, or talking highly or his adopted nation. Like Bond, it's a large part of the character.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 14 Mar  2010, 01:33
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 12 Mar  2010, 17:27
Do we water down James Bond?  Do we try to make Harry Potter more international to play with non-British audiences?

No.

International audiences aren't stupid.  They know that it is an American character published by an American comic book company.  Something tells me they're okay with that.

Exactly. Superman is an American character and that should be embraced. Even if it is not, for some insane reason, it is the elephant in the room.

Audiences know where these characters hail from and nationality should not be a shameful thing to display. When an entire nation is politicalized and cloaked - in a comic world, it's a sad day.

It's like the ski jump in The Spy Who Loved Me. Bond pulls his ripcord and out comes a Union Jack parachute. There is no problem at all with Superman standing next to an American flag, or talking highly or his adopted nation. Like Bond, it's a large part of the character.

i agree with you.....*faints*

Next they?ll be hiding the fact The Doctor hails from Gallifrey...

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 14 Mar  2010, 01:33Exactly. Superman is an American character and that should be embraced. Even if it is not, for some insane reason, it is the elephant in the room.

Yep.  And the statement being made is that the character is (in this case) American and he's proud to be so.  It's not "if you're not American, you can go suck it".

On the other end of the spectrum, and to be completely frank, I don't think I'd have too much interest in seeing a James Bond who works for the UN.  He's British and should unapologetically be British.  Why mess with what works?

How many bet Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard team up again for this Nolan overseen Superman?

I can just imagine it:

?We?re not giving Supes a theme. He?s a complex character and to give him a theme would tie him down. We want the character to finish the thought.?

If they did do it, I'd expect a repetition of tracks like "Harvey Two Face" all the time.

Look, I think some of you guys are being a bit harsh. At least wait till we find out something about the movie.

I think WB realizes that they missed an opportunity with Superman. Back in 2004, they should've announced that they were reintroducing Batman in 2005 and Superman in 2006, both with updated origin stories.

Instead, we got that reboot/sequel/semi-sequel/whatever and the rest is history. I don't think we should be surprised that they want to copy the development process used for Batman Begins.