Nolan to mentor Superman reboot

Started by The Dark Knight, Tue, 9 Feb 2010, 16:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 11 Mar  2010, 07:00Poor soul.

I read a quote from Nolan, and he said he will be doing things his way basically. The way he knows.

Thu, 11 Mar 2010, 11:32 #81 Last Edit: Thu, 11 Mar 2010, 11:34 by phantom stranger
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 11 Mar  2010, 07:00
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 11 Mar  2010, 06:22
I am officially panicked about the next Superman movie.
Poor soul.

I read a quote from Nolan, and he said he will be doing things his way basically. The way he knows.

As opposed to other directors who do things the way other people know?

Let's face it, when it comes to guiding superhero films there are only three possible options: Directors, Producers, or Executives. Usually a combination of all three.  Given those three options, I would definitely go with Nolan, even though he's not really a director in this case.

Is he infallible? No, but he made two great Batman films so he deserves a shot. When you think about it, this is consistent with WB's history. Burton also made two great Batman films and as a "reward" he got to do a Superman film. Or at least came very close to one.

Thu, 11 Mar 2010, 15:20 #82 Last Edit: Thu, 11 Mar 2010, 15:23 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: phantom stranger on Thu, 11 Mar  2010, 11:32
As opposed to other directors who do things the way other people know?
The point is, I don't think Nolan's current model of doing things suits Superman's sensibilites all too well.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 11 Mar  2010, 15:20
The point is, I don't think Nolan's current model of doing things suits Superman's sensibilites all too well.

We're assuming that filmmakers aren't capable of versatility.  Nolan's take on Batman (i.e. 'realistic') suited the character well, even though like you my personal preference would be for a more fantastical approach along the lines of Burton's two films and the animated series (but I'm hopeful we might get that again once Nolan wraps up his series).  As for Superman, I'm sure Nolan is intelligent enough to appreciate that Superman can't be anchored in the real world, and will aim to deliver something, as producer, that places the character in the fantasy world where he belongs.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Superman's rogues gallery simply must be exploited in any new series - that doesn't leave a lot of room for realism!

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 11 Mar  2010, 17:20
As for Superman, I'm sure Nolan is intelligent enough to appreciate that Superman can't be anchored in the real world, and will aim to deliver something, as producer, that places the character in the fantasy world where he belongs.
Look, I am not foolish enough to think Nolan will have Kal-El flying around in a jetpack and so on. I said I didn?t think Nolan?s current model of doing things suits Superman. Yes, it would function and make an alright film, but Nolan?s films are usually dull, drawn out, every detail explained, characters giving long sermons, etc. That's how he does things. I'm not that excited by that prospect.

I understand what you're saying The Dark Knight.  Although I personally loved TDK, and do consider Nolan to be a fine director, I don't deny he has faults.  I think visually his films tend to be lacking an appealing signature style (in contrast to say Scorsese, or Ridley Scott, and in deed Burton).  I also feel that his films are not always half as clever as he might think they are.  For instance the ending of The Prestige, which I won't give away here in case people haven't seen it, was a lot more obvious, prosaic and arguably contrived than I had hoped after what had initially seemed a rather entertaining couple of hours.  It was the kind of resolution I could imagine coming up with in primary school.  However, I do think the true test of whether Nolan deserves some of the hype/praise that has been heaped on him from elsewhere will depend on the quality of his upcoming film, Inception.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 11 Mar  2010, 17:20We're assuming that filmmakers aren't capable of versatility.
No I'm not.  I'm flat out saying that Nolan, thus far, has not deviated too much in his approach to making films- grounded in a type of gritty realism, centered on vengeance-seeking loners, etc.

That works for Batman.  Doesn't work for Superman.

QuoteAs for Superman, I'm sure Nolan is intelligent enough to appreciate that Superman can't be anchored in the real world, and will aim to deliver something, as producer, that places the character in the fantasy world where he belongs.
I'll say this much.  If Nolan was directing this thing, I'd write it off.  Right now.  As there's (supposedly) no director yet, there's reason to hope that Nolan recognizes that he ain't the guy to tell his story.  With any luck, he'll find a Brad Bird or a Robert Zemeckis to do this thing.  Hell, I'd love to see Michael Bay's Superman but something tells me he's not under consideration.

If Nolan ends up directing this thing... well, WB will be dead to me.

Ya know, people piss on the guy all the time but he's got a lot of the right tools for the job.  Batman is a pretty notable exception in the DCU but in general DC's heroes aren't characters, they're icons.  In general, they're not deeply nuanced and layered.  What you see is more or less what you get.

Superman is arguably a damn good example of that.

He's also an action hero.  He's of that world.  Given a decent enough script, I don't question Bay's ability to make a good Superman film.  Plus, Bay's patriotism and American flag imagery is a natural fit for Superman.

It's a better match up than some folks may be comfortable with.

I'd sooner watch 1,000 Bay Superman films than one Nolan Superman film.