Masquerade Ball

Started by The Dark Knight, Sat, 30 Jan 2010, 10:01

Previous topic - Next topic
I love the masquerade ball sequence in Batman Returns. Great concept.

Bruce turns up to the event simply in a tuxedo ? the image the public is accustomed to but rarely sees.

This is his mask and other half. The ball is all about presenting your other side. People think Bruce didn?t go to any effort, but we know better. The party goers don?t get the irony of it all.

The irony is, Bruce must dress up as a bat to be his true self, whereas everybody else in the room minus Selina get around in regular clothing to be their true self.

Bruce and Selina literally live the fantasy world out for real, and treat it as such, whereas the rest are merely playing dress up.

The most serious cosplay addicts are walking among them, but they are oblivious and most likely looking down upon them for not "getting into the spirit".

yup. if i could have just one shred of tim burton's symbolic irony my stories would kick all kinds of ass lol.

And then we have The Penguin crashing the party, a genuine freak who does not require a mask. A living, breathing and scary embodiment of the unreal characters the guests are dressing up as.

wasn't it the "Max-uerade Ball"?

Quote from: ral on Sat, 30 Jan  2010, 12:04
wasn't it the "Max-uerade Ball"?
No, it was actually billed as the "Max-squerade Ball".

I just called the thread the blanket term Masquerade Ball, which is what's going on.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 30 Jan  2010, 10:01
The most serious cosplay addicts are walking among them, but they are oblivious and most likely looking down upon them for not "getting into the spirit".

Great analysis The Dark Knight.  You can see from the haughty looks on some of the revellers faces that they are not too impressed by Bruce and Selina's 'costumes'.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I was impressed by Selina's! Yowza! ;)
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Yep, she looked great.

When the opening strains of Face to Face soothe out, Bruce turns his head and Selina appears, it's one of the best moments in Batman history.

I agree.  Selina looked her best in that scene.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon,  1 Feb  2010, 06:16
I agree.  Selina looked her best in that scene.

Yes. Absolutely stunning!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."