The Amazing Spider-man

Started by phantom stranger, Tue, 12 Jan 2010, 00:20

Previous topic - Next topic
I had a friend who swore by Nolan's film and we got into a heated argument over Danny's Batman or Hans' Dark Knight. We're no longer friends but it wasn't over that. :-\

I still say  these franchises should be looking at the longevity of the James Bond franchise. They went almost fifty years before they actually rebooted, and even then some of the "original" cast returned (i.e. Judi Dench) not to mention the fact that the original James Bond theme was still used as opposed to a new theme.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Beforehand we had people saying that Elfman's Spidey theme was average. Therefore in their eyes, any comparisons that were going to be made were going to look bad for Elfman. Because if his theme was so average, it should be easy to beat. Comparisons are being made now and the Webb crowd don't want to hear about it. Oh, but SM3 sucked so hard remember.

When the reboot was announced:
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 12 Jan  2010, 02:16
Also, Elfman's Spiderman score was fine, but it was nowhere near as iconic as either his Batman scores, or John Williams' Superman score.
Well, if Elfman's track isn't up to that level, this new offering definitely isn't anywhere near it.

Elfman's Spidey score remains a magnum opus in my life. Horner's does have a little something I like, but frankly, it's perhaps a bit too...chipperish for my taste.

Quote from: riddler on Mon, 25 Jun  2012, 16:35
do the nolanites bash  the Elfan music? Generally any rational person knows the Burton music was better.
I don't think comic films should be rebooted every time the star or director changes. There are so many great years of comics for these heroes, why does it always have to be their earlier years. Especially with batman, he has about a dozen great villains which havent been touched yet and no Robin in the Nolan series. I wanted to see spider-man 4 as well instead of the reboot. Why not do what the batman series did in the mid 90's, pass the torch but have it follow the same continuity (although hopefully with better results than the Schumacher films).

I don't specifically remember alot of fans bashing the Elfman Batman theme in favor for whats been used in the Nolan films, but wouldn't doubt it for a second. If even just to further the agenda that Burton got it so wrong, and Nolan got it so right. It's sad to see such a lot be so ignorant to absolutely bash what had came before, and undoubtedly worked quite successfully, but that's how it goes for some...

With the reboot topic, it's true that a franchise doesn't have to be continually rebooted every time a director/star changes, but on the other hand I find different interpretations come to life to be quite rewarding when done correctly, and would be open to see a different continuities that hold no ties to previous incarnations. Kinda like what is going on with DC animated movies which tells different stories (usually always featuring Batman and Superman), but are all within their own universe. Personally, I think you can get more creative in what you want to say about such and such character that way, rather than having to play by the rules of what's been established by a previous filmmaker.

The problem with 1995's Batman Forever, is that even though it still kept the continuity in place, one could argue it was a soft reboot (DC comics are especially notorious with that) due to how jarringly different the interpretations were. As Schumacher's vision definately steered off from what Burton had established with his two films. When it gets to that stage, it pretty much goes into that HULK 2003/The Incredible Hulk 2008, Punisher 2004/Punisher War Zone area where the shift in tone and what not is so blatantly diverse, adhering to previous continuity isn't even a factor anymore.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 27 Jun  2012, 23:19
Quote from: riddler on Mon, 25 Jun  2012, 16:35
do the nolanites bash  the Elfan music? Generally any rational person knows the Burton music was better.
I don't think comic films should be rebooted every time the star or director changes. There are so many great years of comics for these heroes, why does it always have to be their earlier years. Especially with batman, he has about a dozen great villains which havent been touched yet and no Robin in the Nolan series. I wanted to see spider-man 4 as well instead of the reboot. Why not do what the batman series did in the mid 90's, pass the torch but have it follow the same continuity (although hopefully with better results than the Schumacher films).

I don't specifically remember alot of fans bashing the Elfman Batman theme in favor for whats been used in the Nolan films, but wouldn't doubt it for a second. If even just to further the agenda that Burton got it so wrong, and Nolan got it so right. It's sad to see such a lot be so ignorant to absolutely bash what had came before, and undoubtedly worked quite successfully, but that's how it goes for some...

With the reboot topic, it's true that a franchise doesn't have to be continually rebooted every time a director/star changes, but on the other hand I find different interpretations come to life to be quite rewarding when done correctly, and would be open to see a different continuities that hold no ties to previous incarnations. Kinda like what is going on with DC animated movies which tells different stories (usually always featuring Batman and Superman), but are all within their own universe. Personally, I think you can get more creative in what you want to say about such and such character that way, rather than having to play by the rules of what's been established by a previous filmmaker.

The problem with 1995's Batman Forever, is that even though it still kept the continuity in place, one could argue it was a soft reboot (DC comics are especially notorious with that) due to how jarringly different the interpretations were. As Schumacher's vision definately steered off from what Burton had established with his two films. When it gets to that stage, it pretty much goes into that HULK 2003/The Incredible Hulk 2008, Punisher 2004/Punisher War Zone area where the shift in tone and what not is so blatantly diverse, adhering to previous continuity isn't even a factor anymore.

I agree with your last paragraph. Many iconic comic characters have different interpretations. It's fine to show it different ways, in fact I hope that the next batman film after rises gives Bruce Wayne more humanity and doesn't try to copy Nolan. I also want to see the character progress. We already know is origin. Let him progress, by the dark knight rises, bruce wayne has been batman for 9 years. In the comics he was joined by Robin after a year of comics (though not sure how long in his fictional world that took).

I think TASM will be a run of the mill effort that doesn't offer anything particularly new. As if SM3 was apparently so bad, they played it safe.

Among other things I found this in a comingsoon.net review:

QuoteToo many people see Spidey with his mask off. He takes his mask off while saving a kid. He reveals his identity to several main characters. His mask is off in front of a number of cops and TV cameras on a busy street. His face is seen by a number of criminals. If you had a drinking game where you took a shot every time someone saw Spidey without his mask, you'd die of alcohol poisoning. And what's ironic is that the one character that, storywise, should have been able to figure out that Peter is Spidey ultimately doesn't.
So there you go. Let's see if people bash this aspect of the movie or let it slide.

I'm off to see this tonight. I'll let you know what I thought tomorrow.

And to me, the fact that so many people see him without his mask on is a little silly in my view. But I'll see how it looks before I fully judge it.

Should be seeing this tomorrow at some point .... hopefully.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Well, I saw this last night and I thought it was a bit 'meh'

I'm going to have to watch it again I think - There were some really good points though, I thought Garfield was excellent as Spidey, and even though the look of The Lizard has been slagged off a little, I liked the look of him, and enjoyed the fight scenes with him and Spiderman.

They just added things that didn't need to be there at that time of the film (Stan Lee), and there were other things too, which I won't go into as I could possibly give away spoilers..

But like I mentioned I may give it another look.

I'm thinking all the mask revealing was to show duality. One of the things Maguire wasn"t good at was showing the duality: he acted far differently as spider_man than as peter parker (Raimi even indicates thats why they had him remove his mask in the trail scene). Garfield clearly captured the dualit.