The Amazing Spider-man

Started by phantom stranger, Tue, 12 Jan 2010, 00:20

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 14 Jan  2010, 12:08
What else makes me sick is that the reboot is being billed as 'contemporary' and battling 'today's issues'. What the hell are they on about?

To me this sounds like either a teen flick, or an attempt for a "Nolanization" of Spider-Man.

It's official.  Mark Webb is directing the rebooted Spiderman series.  I wonder if his last name sealed the deal for him.   ;)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010, 14:54 #42 Last Edit: Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 04:38 by Darrell Kaiser
I wish everyone was a little more positive about this idea. The Incredible Hulk proved it was possible. Also, did anyone read what Rami had in mind for Spider-Man 4? It was REAL sh*t. The studio didn't like it, despite their efforts to have revisions closer to the comics. Rami refused and got booted out. I'm happy!

Webb is an interesting choice and I'm hoping he delivers a solid flick.  Remember there were people who had their reservations when Burton, Singer and Nolan was assigned to direct a superhero film so let's give him a chance.

Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Wed, 20 Jan  2010, 14:54
I wish everyone was a little more positive about this idea. The Incredible Hulk proved it was possible. Also, did anyone read what Rami had in mind for Spidr-Man 4? It was REAL sh*t. The studio didn't like it, despite their efforts to have revisions closer to the comics. Rami refused and got booted out. I'm happy!

Darrell, I'm feeling very positive about this reboot.  However, I get the impression from some of your earlier posts that you weren't a fan of Raimi's take on the series.  This has come through in your barely controlled glee at Raimi's departure from the franchise.  You must remember that many of the people on this site, including myself, are huge fans of the Raimi Spiderman films, and whilst I had reservations about Part 3, I suspect I am in the minority here.

Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 00:10 #45 Last Edit: Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 00:13 by Darrell Kaiser
Rami and company HAD IT during the first film, but they lost it just as fast as they grasped it. Oh, GOD, that second one SUCKED. Rami was practically kicking sand into Parker?s face during that movie. I can understand if that was done BEFORE he was bitten by the spider, but not AFTER.

Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 00:47 #46 Last Edit: Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 03:55 by johnnygobbs
Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Thu, 21 Jan  2010, 00:10
Rami and company HAD IT during the first film, but they lost it just as fast as they grasped it. Oh, GOD, that second one SUCKED. Rami was practically kicking sand into Parker?s face during that movie. I can understand if that was done BEFORE he was bitten by the spider, but not AFTER.

I think you have the accept that you're probably in the minority as far as your opinion on Spiderman 2 goes.  Most critics, and many of the people I know rate the second film even higher than the first.  Personally, I think Spiderman 1 and 2 are equally as good.  I appreciate the 'purity' of storytelling in Part 1, however I also think the direction was stronger in Part 2.

Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 02:38 #47 Last Edit: Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 02:42 by Darrell Kaiser
Critics are prone to overblow on certain projects. It's an even bigger blow when you have potential and it's wasted. If you read the original "Spider-Man No More" story, you'll see what I mean.

Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Thu, 21 Jan  2010, 00:10
I dunno about that.  The Lee/Ditko run showed things like Spider-Man sulking back home in the rain (which prevented him from taking pics), getting trashed by supervillains, etc.  Peter's extra-Spidey life wasn't much better- getting picked on and pushed around, unable to get a date, etc.

I think Raimi might've overplayed his hand a little bit at times but the sentiment he was expressing was pretty much in keeping with the era of Spidey comics I dig on (60's era).

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 21 Jan  2010, 00:47
I think you have the accept that you're probably in the minority as dae as your opinion on Spiderman 2 goes.
I realize it's probably hypocritical of me to speak up for Kaiser after the above, but I don't think numbers should be the defining criteria of anything.  You look back through history and you can find the masses supporting some really horrifying things- segregation, pogroms, Britney Spears, etc.  What matters is that Darrell can defend his position.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 21 Jan  2010, 03:48
I realize it's probably hypocritical of me to speak up for Kaiser after the above, but I don't think numbers should be the defining criteria of anything.  You look back through history and you can find the masses supporting some really horrifying things- segregation, pogroms, Britney Spears, etc.  What matters is that Darrell can defend his position.

Sure, I like unpopular opinion if it can be supported by a good argument, but my point was that Darrell's declarative 'It sucks!' statement seemed very matter-of-fact, as if it was a commonly held opinion that Spiderman 2 was inferior to the first film.

Besides, my overall argument was in response to Darrell's complaint as to why everyone around here was so 'negative' about the reboot; the reason being the almost-universal love people had for Raimi's franchise (at least the first two films).  By all means, there's nothing wrong in arguing against Raimi's Spiderman films, but to deny that there is a huge amount of love for those movies which has consequently made it hard for many here to understand the need for a reboot seems somewhat churlish.