Does Nicholson Have A Right To Be Furious?

Started by burtongenius, Sun, 3 Jan 2010, 22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Does Nicholson Have A Right To Be Furious?

Yes
1 (14.3%)
No
6 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 7

In an MTV interview, Nicholson was mad about not being referred to for help for the Dark Knight movie.

Does he have a right to be furious?

I vote yes.  Its disrespectful to think of someone elses interpretation as not bearing on your interpretation.  If there is no common ground, something is wrong.

I mean come on.  They could've at least got some ideas from Nicholson.

Why should Nicholson be furious?  It's not like he owns Batman.  The Joker existed 50 years before Nicholson's portrayal and I'm sure various other actors will provide their own take on the character after Ledger.  As much as I love Nicholson, his portrayal was by no means the definitive take on the character.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

You're right.  He shouldn't have.  Ledger's joker and every other joker I've ever seen have nothing in common. 8)

Nicholson wasn't furious - he was joking.

This is old news.

Quote from: ral on Sun,  3 Jan  2010, 23:20
Nicholson wasn't furious - he was joking.

This is old news.

Thanks Ral.  I couldn't really see Nicholson being upset over this.  He's too chilled out.  Besides, from what I heard, he was pretty complimentary about Heath Ledger and offered to give the actor some advice if he wanted it.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Yes, he was joking. But with Jack, you never truly know. That's why he is perfect for The Joker. Burton said something to that effect when asked about his thoughts regarding the comments, which is very true.

Nicholson also said: "I don't think they ever really captured Tim Burton's spirit.  They kind of drove the franchise into the ground. Tim Burton's a genius. He had the right take on it".

Nicholson is correct.

Thu, 7 Jan 2010, 03:25 #7 Last Edit: Thu, 7 Jan 2010, 11:36 by phantom stranger
I'm not so sure he was joking. No pun intended. He obviously cared about the role and I'm sure he would've appreciated someone asking for his advice, even if it wasn't really needed.

I don't think anything is really safe from Jack Nicholson as far as humor is concerned. There's a reason why Burton says that Jack, "IS the Joker" and I think this interview further proves that point. Personally, Nicholson sounds more disappointed in not being brought back in a sequel with the Burton/Schumacher timeline than he does with Ledger succeeding him in the role.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I think he wasn't joking, but he didn't want to make a big deal out of it, so he laughed it off.  To say that he didn't mean it is sort of demeaning to him.  Because they didn't ask him to help them.  Of course their doing a different take on the joker.  But does that mean they can't get ideas from nicholson.  To even listen to him at least out of respect, to say the least that he was a good joker and he could give some very valuable tips to the new guy on the block.  They could use and throw away some of his tips, which is fine.  But its a respect thing.  Because the joker is hard to play, unlike some characters.  And it isn't like its a huge time jump or anything.  Asking adam west to help bale wouldn't work because of the time period.  But nicholson's joker isn't too far off todays society.  Plus, ledger even said that nicholson was a legend.  Maybe it was all little old christopher.