Is Batman realistic? Or just a comic book character?

Started by burtongenius, Fri, 11 Dec 2009, 00:04

Previous topic - Next topic
LOL phantom stranger

I remember a quote from V for Vendetta "artists use lies to tell the truth" or something along those lines. Some movies use ultra-fantasy and sci-fi to comment on the human condition, psychology, society and stuff, other movies use realistic imagery for propaganda. Much of sci-fi like Terminator, Robocop, The Matrix etc. was never meant to be taken literally.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Mon, 14 Dec  2009, 15:41
No, no, Colors it IS real...REAL....the truth is out there colors....truth lives...

the Matrix has you....
I'm oddly very amused by this.  Good one. :)

Batman is "realistic" about as much as the Phantom of the Opera or the Hunchback of Notre Dame are: theoretically, it could happen, but it won't.

But theoretically, it could happen, right?  As opposed to superman or spiderman, who are completely preposterous.

It probably won't happen.  But just the fact that it could gives it all the creedence in the world in my opinion.

Quote from: burtongenius on Wed, 16 Dec  2009, 21:17But theoretically, it could happen, right?  As opposed to superman or spiderman, who are completely preposterous.

It probably won't happen.  But just the fact that it could gives it all the creedence in the world in my opinion.
omg, NO IT CAN'T AND NO IT DOESN'T!  How possible is Clayface?  Two Face?  The Joker?  Mr. Freeze?  Bane?

Batman is not.  Realistic.  At all.

The villains aren't realistic.  (Except for penguin- he's just a regular guy).  But Batman is.  Theirs nothing fantastic about him except that he wears a big costume and has big muscles.

Quote from: burtongenius on Wed, 16 Dec  2009, 23:57
The villains aren't realistic.  (Except for penguin- he's just a regular guy).  But Batman is.  Theirs nothing fantastic about him except that he wears a big costume and has big muscles.

A regular guy with an absurdly pointy nose, who talks in anachronistic hyperbole and is obsessed with umbrellas...I don't think so.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

And is an American billionaire with a conscience. And is able to keep up a double life without collapsing from lack of sleep. And avoids certain death on a nightly basis. And has a butler capable of doing just about anything. And had just the right set of tragic circumstances in his past to drive him to do this. And regularly comes into contact with superpowered and supernatural creatures.

Again, it's like the figures in Gothic fiction: they're ordinary human beings by birth, so they *could* exist. They never will.

Theirs nothing fantastic about him except that he wears a big costume and has big muscles.
This is a very simplistic view.

I remember a line from Neil Gaiman's Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader. The Joker (or Harley Quinn) says something like "He should get killed from the first moment he tried to jump off a rooftop", or something along those lines (can't remember the exact quote). I think this line was Gaiman having fun with the idea of what would happen to a "real" Batman.