B89 - Cathedral
BR - Penguin's Lair
BF - Riddler's Lair
B&R - Gotham Observatory
BB - Microwave Emitter sequence
TDK - Prewitt Building & Two-Face hostage situation
I don't think this has been done yet.

Which film has the best final showdown?

I've opened this up to the Schumacher & Nolan films as well.

I've gone for Batman '89.  As a pure 'action film' I don't think the others come close, which is funny considering how many people say (stupidly IMHO) that Burton can't do 'action'.

The combination of Batman taking on the goons and getting knocked senseless by the black dude, cross-cut with The Joker and Vicki dancing to Elfman's wonderful opulent score makes for a thrilling and funny climax.

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I agree with you. It has not been topped in my book. Doubt it ever will be. I love the emotional finale of Returns, but the Cathedral sequence is just too good.

Batman 1989 - Cathedral showdown  8)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I'll go as far as saying the Cathedral showdown is the single best Batman sequence put to film.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  1 Dec  2009, 14:40
I'll go as far as saying the Cathedral showdown is the single best Batman sequence put to film.

Agreed.

^ As I also agree. The Returns climax is very powerful as well.

I think Elfman's evocative score for the ascension ("Up the Cathedral") also needs a mention, it often doesn't get the attention it deserves because the waltz is so much catchier.

On a different subject, when my friend saw Forever's finale for the first time, back in '95, the moment the two rubber suits appeared running towards the camera, he said (loudly, in a theater) "What is this?", accompanied by a really nice word.

Agreed the Cathedral!! I love it and wouldnt change a thing about it.

Quote from: silenig on Tue,  1 Dec  2009, 15:56
On a different subject, when my friend saw Forever's finale for the first time, back in '95, the moment the two rubber suits appeared running towards the camera, he said (loudly, in a theater) "What is this?", accompanied by a really nice word.

I'd love to know what choice words your friend used when he caught the climax of Batman & Robin.    ;D

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.