Batman 89 versus the Matrix

Started by burtongenius, Sat, 28 Nov 2009, 21:43

Previous topic - Next topic
I really enjoyed the titanic mid-film battle in Zion.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue,  8 Dec  2009, 08:25
I really enjoyed the titanic mid-film battle in Zion.

I liked that a lot, too.

When I first saw the film, I had a real sense of dread when the drill finally breached the dock wall and dropped to the ground. It was the moment I had been waiting for.

Imagine that moment. 250,000 plus sentinels are about to gush out at any moment. You will die, it's just a matter of when. Scary stuff.

Tue, 8 Dec 2009, 21:12 #12 Last Edit: Tue, 8 Dec 2009, 21:16 by burtongenius
To me, they made the hand wave in the matrix way too hyped up.  Maybe it has been around for centuries on end.  But people really geeked out when Morpheus did it.  All I'm saying is that if morpheus hand wave is such a big deal- look at keatons- its way better.  (this thread would be pointless if the matrix hand wave wasn't so popularized in the culture (commercials, etc...))

And as far as the matrix movies are in general, I'll give them originality.  But to me the matrix series was like a sugar hye.  It was great the first movie but it didn't have the underlying structure/backbone to pull it all the way through.  I'm not saying the movies were bad.  But you could tell that the two movies afterwards were trying to live up to the first instead of building on it.  Basically, the concept was in the first movie and the next two were trying to figure out what other stuff to put in the movie.

Quote from: burtongenius on Tue,  8 Dec  2009, 21:12All I'm saying is that if morpheus hand wave is such a big deal- look at keatons- its way better.  
That is not a hand wave. He's using his index finger. Yes, he's summoning his attacker, but it is not a hand wave. Like Batnar, I do not see any connection between Tim Burton's Batman and The Matrix.

semantics, semantics.  Its doing the same thing.  Its summoning the enemy.  Keaton did it in the same style and purpose that morpheus did.

Quote from: burtongenius on Wed,  9 Dec  2009, 03:11
Its doing the same thing.  Its summoning the enemy. 
I know that.

Quote from: burtongenius on Wed,  9 Dec  2009, 03:11
Keaton did it in the same style and purpose that morpheus did.
He did not. Morpheus used his full hand. Keaton used his index finger. Are you blind or something?!

No offence Burtongenius, but I don't see what the one film has to do with the other.  No one, as far as I know, was suggesting that The Matrix originated the whole 'come to me' hand gesture.  It's hardly something to be that proud of anyway, bearing in mind the countless other genuine innovations the film was responsible for.

Wed, 9 Dec 2009, 21:37 #17 Last Edit: Wed, 9 Dec 2009, 21:40 by burtongenius
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed,  9 Dec  2009, 08:53
No offence Burtongenius, but I don't see what the one film has to do with the other.  No one, as far as I know, was suggesting that The Matrix originated the whole 'come to me' hand gesture.  

Like I said before, I know the matrix didn't originate it.  But they did make it very popular and brought it out of the cobwebs and maybe allowed people to think they started it.  And I know the movies have nothing whatsoever to do with one another.  All I'm focusing on is the hand wave.

In response to the dark knight.  I know he uses his finger.  But its still doing the same thing.  Who cares how many fingers he uses?  Its the general style and purpose of it all.

The whole point of this topic is to see whether people think keaton or morpheus did it better.  Not to bash or praise batman 89 or the matrix.

Quote from: burtongenius on Wed,  9 Dec  2009, 21:37
The whole point of this topic is to see whether people think keaton or morpheus did it better.  Not to bash or praise batman 89 or the matrix.

Fair enough.  Then I guess I prefer Batman's gesture.  He did it with such a sadistic smirk.

It goes to show you how much people will like the keaton one over the morpheus one, even though the matrix was the god of action.  Keaton still beats morpheus 9 years (or something like that) before.

Now I know some people will think the connection is a stretch but to me they are carbon copies of each other and keaton did it first.  And better.  But probably 90% of the population doesn't know that.  And I know most people probably didn't focus on the matrix handwave.  But I bet it set in peoples minds that the hand wave was synonymous with the matrix.  Batman 89 did it also.