Started by Catwoman, Tue, 10 Nov 2009, 16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

does a winter setting suit batman?

yes
18 (100%)
no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

i was thinking about how tim burton's movies are sort of set in the winter time, returns obviously, while its like the christopher nolan movies are set in/around summer (?) and batman forever is set at halloween and i have no idea when the hell batman and robin is lol.

do you guys think a winter setting is the best or not? why or why not?

I think so. It is the setting that jumps out at you the most in typical Burton esque high contrast. Good stuff.

i didn't just mean for tim's movies. i meant for all of them, do you think winter would be best?

and don't say "no because then they'd all be like tim's and that'd suck." look at them all seperately, jackasses.

Tue, 10 Nov 2009, 22:53 #3 Last Edit: Tue, 10 Nov 2009, 22:55 by The Dark Knight
I love the winter setting. (I'm a winter person) It's a key reason why I love Returns. It's Burton through and through. However, I wouldn't be wanting all of the films set during winter. Batman doesn't come out just in those months, after all.

I think a winter setting provides for some pretty neat visuals, as we saw in BR. But to me the quintessential setting for Batman is the stereotypical dark and stormy night. There's a neat shot of him in Begins when he's in the narrows and it's raining.

Aside from one scene where you see kids trick or treating at Wayne Manor, I never really got a Halloween feeling from Batman Forever. There's a potential to create a really creepy Halloween atmosphere for a Batman film, but it hasn't happened yet.

Thu, 12 Nov 2009, 02:38 #5 Last Edit: Thu, 12 Nov 2009, 03:10 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: phantom stranger on Thu, 12 Nov  2009, 01:01
But to me the quintessential setting for Batman is the stereotypical dark and stormy night.  
Same with me. Very mysterious. A lot of dramatic power and atmosphere. That weather is Batman, just as sunshine is Superman. I love the rain, wind and the gloomy vibe it generates. I feel alive during it. However, I am a fan of cold temperatures and ice just as much, so they're pretty much neck and neck.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Thu, 12 Nov  2009, 01:01I think a winter setting provides for some pretty neat visuals, as we saw in BR. But to me the quintessential setting for Batman is the stereotypical dark and stormy night. There's a neat shot of him in Begins when he's in the narrows and it's raining.
Yep.  One of my fave Batman stories is a LOTDK one shot titled Storm.  The entire thing takes place during a single stormy night in Gotham.  Very atmospheric.

Another good one is obviously the Laughing Fish.

QuoteAside from one scene where you see kids trick or treating at Wayne Manor, I never really got a Halloween feeling from Batman Forever. There's a potential to create a really creepy Halloween atmosphere for a Batman film, but it hasn't happened yet.
Again, yep.  Loeb and Sale did more with that during one LOTDK annual/special back in '95 or '96 than Schumacher did in an entire film.

Kinda pathetic, really.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 12 Nov  2009, 02:38
Quote from: phantom stranger on Thu, 12 Nov  2009, 01:01
But to me the quintessential setting for Batman is the stereotypical dark and stormy night.  
Same with me. Very mysterious. A lot of dramatic power and atmosphere. That weather is Batman, just as sunshine is Superman. I love the rain, wind and the gloomy vibe it generates. I feel alive during it. However, I am a fan of cold temperatures and ice just as much, so they're pretty much neck and neck.

amazing that we're so similar and don't like each other.

QuoteOne of my fave Batman stories is a LOTDK one shot titled Storm.

Legends of the Dark Knight--now there was a great Batman book. Along with Shadow of the Bat, that book provided some of the best Batman stories of the 90's. And then they both disappeared, leaving us with a bunch of interchangeable Batman books.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Fri, 13 Nov  2009, 05:21Legends of the Dark Knight--now there was a great Batman book. Along with Shadow of the Bat, that book provided some of the best Batman stories of the 90's. And then they both disappeared, leaving us with a bunch of interchangeable Batman books.
You're so right.  If I have a gripe about LOTDK, though, it's the lack of continuity between stories... which, I realize, was the entire point of the book but my point is that "character studies" can only really go so far and after a while you'd sorta want Batman getting blown up in the Going Sane series to have some kind of ramifications in the Criminals arc.

Which is stupid and defeats the entire point of that comic, blah blah blah, but there it is.

And then you get Shadow of the Bat.  I liked it but it felt like the editors never really knew what to do with it.  To this day, I'll never understand pairing Alan Grant with Barry Kitson.  Grant wanted to write dense, psychological stories while Kitson was a straight up superhero artist.  To me, the more logical pairing (aside from Norm Breyfogle, duh) would've been Grant and Kelly Jones.  But Jones was a bit of a celebrity back then so naturally he should go on the main Batman book with an adventure writer like Doug Moench while Kitson the then nobody got matched up with Alan Grant.

That decision will never make sense to me (although I'm a huge fan of Jones work on Batman, easily the most atmospheric and Burton'ish illustrator of the 90's).