Started by batass4880, Fri, 6 Nov 2009, 22:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like Batman Forever?

Yes
27 (73%)
No
10 (27%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Quote from: The Joker on Sun,  8 Nov  2009, 14:14Unfortunately for the point you were trying to make, that's NOT what I was talking about.
Fair enough.  But you wrote...

Quote from: The Joker on Sat,  7 Nov  2009, 16:31Batman Forever was basically a attempt (a successful one at that given the box office) at making the Batman franchise more kid friendly and certainly more lighter in it's approach, which WB felt was getting questionable following Batman Returns. Hence, WB gently letting Burton go, and Schumacher taking his place in the director's chair.
I've bolded the relevant sections

In any event, I think history was treating BR a lot better than BF by 1998 or so.  Much of this has been rendered somewhat moot by Nolan's franchise in the public's eyes but had it not been for BB and TDK, I firmly believe that nowadays the Burton films would be held in much higher regard than either Schumacher flick.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  9 Nov  2009, 02:41
Quote from: The Joker on Sun,  8 Nov  2009, 14:14Unfortunately for the point you were trying to make, that's NOT what I was talking about.
Fair enough.  But you wrote...

Quote from: The Joker on Sat,  7 Nov  2009, 16:31Batman Forever was basically a attempt (a successful one at that given the box office) at making the Batman franchise more kid friendly and certainly more lighter in it's approach, which WB felt was getting questionable following Batman Returns. Hence, WB gently letting Burton go, and Schumacher taking his place in the director's chair.

've bolded the relevant sections

Mmm Hmm, your argument was that Batman Forever did not infact gross more in the united states than Batman Returns, and then went on to go over the myth with fanboys that BF did. Which you pointed out, that no. BF did not outgross Batman Returns. Contrary to popular belief these days. Business was about the same.

Which wasn't what I was talking about.

My argument, was that Batman Forever was quite successful at the box office despite the glaring changes. Especially by 1995 standards (didn't it have the largest grossing weekend opening at that time?), and that's quite an achievement considering it was with a Batman that wasn't Michael Keaton, had a director that wasn't Tim Burton, and last but not least, also had a decidedly much different approach to the material than that of the previous films.

The trailers certainly did not hide that fact.

So yeah, Batman Forever was successful. The film made money, it wasn't about the movie having to out gross Burton's Batman Returns. Also, and this is pretty important as well, BF did not have that fan back lash that the studio was all too aware of following Batman and Robin.

QuoteIn any event, I think history was treating BR a lot better than BF by 1998 or so.  Much of this has been rendered somewhat moot by Nolan's franchise in the public's eyes but had it not been for BB and TDK, I firmly believe that nowadays the Burton films would be held in much higher regard than either Schumacher flick.

Batman Forever gets bunched in with Batman & Robin alot these days, but I don't think it's fair to BF. As I consider Batman Forever to be imperfect, but overall a more focused movie than that of Batman & Robin. Chris O'Donnell's comments found on the B&R SE ("with BF I felt like I was making a movie. With B&R, I felt like I was making a toy commercial") certainly evokes that feeling.

And that's pretty much how I felt when walking out of the theater after seeing Batman & Robin in 1997.

A 2 hour toy commercial.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Mon, 9 Nov 2009, 17:18 #32 Last Edit: Sat, 28 Nov 2009, 03:18 by batass4880
I remember a few months before the movie came out, Extra! had a rough two minute sneak preview of the movie. When I saw it, I thought it was horrible for obvious reasons, let alone that I was pissed that Tim Burton wasn't involved.

But when I saw the movie, I was surprised because it was able to do (for me) what Burton's two were capable of doing and that is to make you feel like you're in another world for two hours. That's one of the redeeming qualities IMO in this movie.

14 to 5. i think we have a clear winner but i'm not too sure. lol.

why do i feel like the 5 who voted no are the fanboy nerds who think it makes their balls bigger if they are so serious about it and think batman should be as dark as possible?

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue, 10 Nov  2009, 16:49
why do i feel like the 5 who voted no are the fanboy nerds who think it makes their balls bigger if they are so serious about it and think batman should be as dark as possible?

Ooooh, controversial.  I see your point.  There's always some misanthropic goth who wants to beat up on anything that dares not to take itself too seriously.  On the other hand, Batman Forever is a borderline film for me, and I can easily sympathise with anyone who chose to vote thumbs down.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue, 10 Nov  2009, 16:49
I have no problem with light or dark takes of Batman. I do have a problem with the quality of the takes.

The best way to sum this movie up is in an analogy. This movie for me is like a juicy McDonolds burger, you enjoy it while you eating and you know its bad for you but hours later you think nothing of it.
"Tell me something my friend, you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight"- The Joker- Batman 89

"I guess I`m tired of wearing masks"- Selina Kyle- Batman Returns

"But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely...a legend Mr Wayne"- Henri Ducard- Batman Begins

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian, I can do those things cause I`m not a hero not like Dent"- Batman- The Dark Knight

Quote from: Scarecrow756 on Wed, 11 Nov  2009, 16:49
The best way to sum this movie up is in an analogy. This movie for me is like a juicy McDonolds burger, you enjoy it while you eating and you know its bad for you but hours later you think nothing of it.

...and like a McDonalds meal its full of crap, and will probably make you feel sick afterwards.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.