The Man Who Could've Been Batman

Started by BatmAngelus, Tue, 27 Oct 2009, 21:26

Previous topic - Next topic
MTV reported this earlier today. 

It looks like Willem Dafoe did talk to the producers about being in the 1989 Batman film...but as Batman, not as the Joker:
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/10/27/exclusive-willem-dafoe-as-batman-it-almost-happened/

While the Sam Hamm article on this site does mention that they threw around Dafoe's name for Joker, I think Hamm and Burton were privately speculating on who could do the role, rather than talking to actors.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Although I like William Dafoe, I feel he would have been totally mis-cast as Batman if that were the route they decided to take.  I have hard time imaging him walking around in a rubber suit for two hours, battling evil and swooping Vicki Vale off her feet.  Of course this is in the Tim Burton Batman Universe.  I could see him playing a version of the Dark Knight Detective where he wouldn't be confined by the suit, he would would be allowed to be more animated and take even the Bruce Wayne character in a new direction.  His overall non-pretty Hollywood looks would actually be an asset for him because not ever rich guy in the world is handsome.  His rugged exterior would only symbolize the tough battles he's been through over the years - both personal and physical.  And I know, after watching him in interviews, that he can be soft, and articulate and subtle, things that I think a wounded hero would need in their psychosis to drive them to put on a crime fighting suit in form of a bat.  I would be highly interested in seeing what he could do in the role of Batman.  Just not Tim Burton's Batman.

Thanks for sharing that find with us!!!

I couldn't see Defoe as Batman either.  The Joker, yes.  Batman, no.

I also prefer Batman to be played by a relatively good looking actor (not that Defoe is ugly by any means).  Bruce Wayne is meant to be a dashing playboy, not a dirty rich creep who only sleeps with women after his money (although no doubt he's had his fair share of 'gold-diggers').  Also, he's always been portrayed as fairly conventionally handsome in most of the comics, which is something Bale has in his favour.

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Just another reminder that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet--especially on IMDB where apparently anyone can submit trivia.

It also confuses Batman historians. I can't remember if the Bale-trying-out-for Robin rumor was debunked or not.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Thu, 29 Oct  2009, 05:40
I can't remember if the Bale-trying-out-for Robin rumor was debunked or not.
As far as I know, that's legit.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Thu, 29 Oct  2009, 18:42http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/celebrity-news/267120/christian-bale-i-would-never-have-bloody-auditioned-to-play-robin/1/
I'd deny it too... but whatever, if he says it, I believe him.

For trivia, there was a nationwide casting call for unknowns for Robin before O'Donnell represented.  I helped a family friend audition.  I obviously had a crapton of comics.  He went to the audition in gray pants, a red and green shirt and black shoes.  Supposedly he got relatively far along in the regional search before, I guess, WB decided they wanted a real actor for the role.

Dafoe being discussed to play Batman in the late 1980's, even if it was fairly brief, makes me think of Christopher Walken supposedly auditioning to play Superman back in the late 1970's.

Like Keaton, they certainly are very capable actor's, who have turned in some memorable performances, and would have been unconventional (which isn't a bad thing), but I think both set of productions chose wisely with Keaton and Reeve. Even if it is kinda fun to think how Dafoe might have faired as Batman, and I can only imagine what Walken as Superman would have been like!  ;D

Interesting what-might-have-been article though.  8)  

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 29 Oct  2009, 19:05
I'd deny it too... but whatever, if he says it, I believe him.
Hm. I'm still sceptical. I'm not going to let the Bale off the hook that easily.