Blu-ray releases this fall

Started by Paul (ral), Fri, 8 Feb 2008, 10:06

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 24 Feb 2008, 22:44 #10 Last Edit: Sun, 24 Feb 2008, 22:48 by Darth Vader
QuoteThe problem with special effects movies is that the effects easily look dated. It doesn't really make much difference if a movie is nearly twenty years old or three. Effects date easily.

Oooh REALLY?  ::)

Nobody's denying that.

QuoteThe intention of the film maker and the effects people is to sell something as real. Classic movies such as 30's King Kong work well for what they are because they have a certain vintage charm going for them.
BATMAN is still a very modern looking film and outdated effects in a film that otherwise looks very new stand out as sore thumbs.

Yet you admit those dated effects are 'vintage charm' for King Kong.

Updating CG for today will only look outdated again tomorrow ... there's no stopping point once you use the excuse of "We have to update it for modern times!!  :o "

Once that vicious cycle starts, it becomes more difficult for our offspring to someday watch B89 and see it for what it was: A Batman film that took the technology of the late 20th century and forged something GREAT!

Go look up 'integrity' in the dictionary and apply it to this scenario.  ;)

QuoteI'm just asking for the following:
Blending the matte-painting better, removing support strings that aren't supposed there, updating the end of the shadow of Batman shot walking off (even Keaton said Burton wasn't happy with it back in 89 in an interview from a couple of years ago).
Think Ridley Scott's Blade Runner: The Final Cut.

My family has a lot of professional artists. The walls of my house are covered in framed sketches, also oil and water color paintings. I could log onto E-bay right now and easily start selling them for profit. That's how breath-taking some of them are (intricately detailed wildlife, forests, cottages, just so you have an idea).

I've spoken with them about the individual pieces of art. They have one thing in common when it comes to critiquing their own work . . . . . They are NEVER totally satisfied.

You see, if an artist has any self-respect or worth, they'll always be striving for improvement. With every stage in a painting, they ask themselves "How can I improve this? That?" That's the mark of a good artist. Once finished, once they sign their name and give the painting up after finding themselves pseudo-satisfied, they go back to thinking it could've been improved.

Burton signed B89 and gave it up, so to speak. I know Burton has that mark of a REAL artist, in that he isn't pleased with everything in retrospect.

I wouldn't give back a painting to my relative if they asked me to let them start changing things when it was already finished.

Why?

I love it the way it is.
The B89 photos you refer to will soon be back in our hands.

Mon, 25 Feb 2008, 01:12 #11 Last Edit: Mon, 25 Feb 2008, 01:26 by Batman
Well, at least you understand the principle I'm going for.
I myself, attend film school, studying directing and can perfectly relate to the issues you posted above. If you work on something for so long it consumes you. You want it to be perfect.
In the end you have to let go and move on, which can be painful.
Though, we all would want to go back and improve it.
Most of the time, though, this is a question of will to actually commit to it a second time.
Therefore, I strongly support people such as George Lucas and Ridley Scott (and the many other directors that dare to recut) for working on their projects again.

And just for the record (in case you're trying to make me look like a basher):
Batman Returns is IMO, one the most visually beautiful motion pictures of our time and one of the most amazing movies in history. This movie as well as BATMAN hold a very special place in my heart.

Quote from: Batman on Mon, 25 Feb  2008, 01:12If you work on something for so long it consumes you. You want it to be perfect.
In the end you have to let go and move on, which can be painful.
Though, we all would want to go back and improve it.

That's basically what I said, yes.

QuoteMost of the time, though, this is a question of will to actually commit to it a second time.

Committing to f***ing up a good film is not okay.

QuoteTherefore, I strongly support people such as George Lucas and Ridley Scott (and the many other directors that dare to recut) for working on their projects again.

I know you do. And that's why I wish for your career to never take off the ground.  :) Not until you do understand the integrity of classic movies. We need young directors out there to stop kissing LucA$$. Unfortunately you don't have the bravery for that, and instead want to endorse a cop-out among men.

QuoteAnd just for the record (in case you're trying to make me look like a basher):
Batman Returns is IMO, one the most visually beautiful motion pictures of our time and one of the most amazing movies in history. This movie as well as BATMAN hold a very special place in my heart.

That's not getting you anywhere.

What's better?

Cloud City in the original release or Cloud City with the new enhanced backgrounds as in the Special Editions?

Why, having trouble deciding?

Quote from: Darth Vader on Wed, 27 Feb  2008, 08:53
I know you do. And that's why I wish for your career to never take off the ground.  :) Not until you do understand the integrity of classic movies. We need young directors out there to stop kissing LucA$$. Unfortunately you don't have the bravery for that, and instead want to endorse a cop-out among men.

QuoteAnd just for the record (in case you're trying to make me look like a basher):

That's not getting you anywhere.

Seriously. You're too much. Didn't think I'd run into such  a rude ****head on a great forum like this.

I'm fine with restortation as long as all new shots aren't used and they dont have the VERY intrusive look of the Star Wars Special Edition trilogy

Quote from: Darth Vader on Wed, 27 Feb  2008, 12:38
Why, having trouble deciding?

Not at all.  For me the special edition is better.

Anyways back to topic.

Given that Blu-ray uses different technology than HDDVD, the may have to create new menus.  Hopefully they will add different content at the same time.

Not sure why you're seeing the need to delete my post.