Who should play Catwoman?

Started by johnnygobbs, Mon, 5 Oct 2009, 18:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Catwoman in a Nolan sequel?

Charlize Theron
Marion Cotillard
Angelina Jolie
Rachel Weisz
Jennifer Connelly
Olga Kurylenko
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Rosario Dawson
Emily Blunt
Penelope Cruz
Other (please name)
Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 14 Jan  2011, 06:45
Quote from: Matuatay on Fri, 14 Jan  2011, 04:59
Yep, just like a short, fat guy who wears a tux and carries an umbrella who happens to have an oversized nose is too far of a stretch to use in this "realistic" universe.

But we can have a guy who runs around with a burlap bag on his head spraying drugs in peoples faces and another guy with half his face burned completely off (who isn't dying from infection or in cardiac arrest) is perfectly acceptable. 

Oh, and we can't forget how real it is for a dude to run around seemingly unnoticed with this big microwave emitter turning Gotham's water supply into vapor whilst not effecting a single human being who is 90% water other than sending them on a very bad acid trip. 

Who's have thought??

Spot on.

Realism, especially in that respect, clearly isn't even an issue.

It's how the fantastical elements is approached and taken seriously that gives off the illusion of realism.

But yeah, the fact that a 'fear gas' is perfectly fine, where the Penguin is considered too 'tricky' is simply maddening.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 14 Jan  2011, 05:02
Exactly.

Sure, Nolan can make a decent film with Talia. But a theatrical villain would've still been better. And it's what the audience wants. It was always going to be a tough ask following up The Joker. But this doesn't even try. Perhaps that's the point, but it's still underwhelming.

As an onlooker, it feels like Nolan's trying to be clever. "Oh, you thought it'd be The Riddler, but you were wrong!" And so on for other characters such as Catwoman. Changing it up to surprise and be different for the sake of it. Sometimes the obvious is the way to go. Like the casting of Nicholson as the Joker.

I hope this film is the last we see of "realism".

Exactly right.

There's a reason why the Riddler was the foregone conclusion for the villain in the 3rd Nolan Batman movie. There's a reason why Catwoman's name continues to be brought up. Or to a lesser extent, the Penguin. These are the villains fans, and casual fans, are familiar with, and of course would like to see translated into Nolan's Batman films. It's a no brainer really. But if Nolan prefers to make use of lesser known villains for the sake of diverting from the obvious ... fine. But I think that sort of approach is sincerely going to leave audiences disappointed with the final product.

Seriously, this would be like Raimi following up Green Goblin not with Doc Ock, but rather Spencer Smythe, or Hammerhead. Sure, you can do that, but it is a underwhelming to say the very least. As TDK suggested, sometimes going with the logical choice is best. Certainly worked for Burton with Joker and Penguin back in '89 and '92. That's for sure.

But in that case Raimi listen to the fans on 3 putting vemon in instead of lizard which orignally who he wanted to put in and we know how that turned out.
you ever dance with the devil on a pale moon light

Quote from: Kingdjack4500 on Fri, 14 Jan  2011, 15:50
But in that case Raimi listen to the fans on 3 putting vemon in instead of lizard which orignally who he wanted to put in and we know how that turned out.

Actually, Raimi wanted Sandman and Vulture for Spider-Man 3. Sony really don't care for Vulture (not even when they had John Malkovich signed, sealed, and delivered even), and Venom got thrown in instead. Which added so many subplots to the script that the writing was on the wall at that point.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 15 Jan  2011, 00:18
Quote from: Kingdjack4500 on Fri, 14 Jan  2011, 15:50

Actually, Raimi wanted Sandman and Vulture for Spider-Man 3. Sony really don't care for Vulture (not even when they had John Malkovich signed, sealed, and delivered even), and Venom got thrown in instead. Which added so many subplots to the script that the writing was on the wall at that point.
I thank you for correcting me vulture would have been a good charactor you would had some good air combat
you ever dance with the devil on a pale moon light

Quote from: Kingdjack4500 on Sat, 15 Jan  2011, 00:26
I thank you for correcting me vulture would have been a good charactor you would had some good air combat

Yeah, I think the plan, if I'm remembering correctly, was to have Vulture as an old cell mate of Sandman's. With I assume Vulture being more the the villain between the two since Sandman has always been a morally complex villain the the comic books. Really would have kicked back on the sub plots, but instead of Vulture, the symbiote saga, Eddie Brock, and later Venom had to be unpleasantly factored into a movie that was already pretty packed with sub plots to begin with. *groan*

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Sat, 15 Jan 2011, 01:18 #54 Last Edit: Sat, 15 Jan 2011, 01:21 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 15 Jan  2011, 00:39
Really would have kicked back on the sub plots, but instead of Vulture, the symbiote saga, Eddie Brock, and later Venom had to be unpleasantly factored into a movie that was already pretty packed with sub plots to begin with. *groan*
Even so, I can't see how that was a reboot factor. If the Bond series has an apparent mediocre film, they take the criticism into consideration and have another shot. Comic book films annoy me in that regard.

I think the Bond series can be good because it doesn't have constant villains ala The Joker. Every film has somebody different. Nobody knows what they're going to get, and we accept it. With Batman, everybody wants to see the icons, and when we don't, we get hung up over it.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 15 Jan  2011, 01:18
Even so, I can't see how that was a reboot factor. If the Bond series has an apparent mediocre film, they take the criticism into consideration and have another shot. Comic book films annoy me in that regard.

Generally, I think that's how things would play out with a succcessful film series. Not every film in a franchise can continually top the previous one, but with this era of remakes/reboots/reimaging or whatever you want to call it in full swing, rebooting Spider-Man so soon isn't surprising. Just very aggravating. Since it's obvious it wasn't necessary at this stage, but Sony knows it has a winner regardless because, ... it's Spider-Man. And people will see it because of the simple fact that it's Spider-Man.

QuoteI think the Bond series can be good because it doesn't have constant villains ala The Joker. Every film has somebody different. Nobody knows what they're going to get, and we accept it. With Batman, everybody wants to see the icons, and when we don't, we get hung up over it.

Right. With Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, ect, we have a movies about a character that's been in continual print for decades. In addition, there is a rogues gallery that's been around for decades as well and should be taken into account. Some villains have been around longer than others, but I think because of that fact, people naturally have a affinity for wanting to see those said villains brought to life on the silver screen. Especially if these villains have reguarly appeared in other media like comics, animated series, and video games. We have grown up getting familiar with them. Naturally, we want to see them re-introduced in a rebooted continuity. Especially if it's been 19-16 years since they have last appeared in the previous series.

With Bond, I don't think people are sentimental to the villains in that series as they are with Batman or Spider-Man villains. The video games toy with bringing back classic Bond villains like Oddjob and Jaws, but there's really never been any real indication the films will follow suit. Though to be honest, there's a very vague continuity with the Bond films that ultimately wouldn't make much sense to re-introduce villains anyways considering the same continuity was STILL in play until recently. And even that's been a debate in itself.  

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 15 Jan  2011, 02:24
Since it's obvious it wasn't necessary at this stage, but Sony knows it has a winner regardless because, ... it's Spider-Man. And people will see it because of the simple fact that it's Spider-Man.
Yes. Exactly.

And you nailed the Bond villain/superhero thing as well. Nothing much I can add there.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 14 Jan  2011, 08:15
The title is unimaginative.

Agreed! The whole knight/night play on words thing, "The night is darkest just before the dawn" and Gordon calling him a "Dark Knight" etc.... I understand it's thematic, maybe Nolan's pandering to people who will undoubtedly think they're brilliant for figuring out that wordplay is one of the small successful nuances to Nolan's franchises? Heh.... or maybe he just has a very remedial creative-dialog streak....
Patrolling Gotham Harbor...

I'd love it if they used this poster.

Great poster, but it would be even cooler if Two-Face was coming out of the ground.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.