Burton's BATMAN NEW Action Figures

Started by ZUPERZERO, Tue, 5 Feb 2008, 11:09

Previous topic - Next topic
To us, it's still revolutionary and amazing and all that jazz. But not to the general populace. Once a film comes along that does the same kind of things another did, the other gets pushed out of the limelight.

As I said, a rebooted series with another serious Batman movie completely dissolved everything memorable or notable about Burton's films in the general populace. They aren't forgotten; that's not what I'm saying. But you aren't going to find people focusing their interest on those films anymore when the new Nolan films accomplish the same things that Burton's two did, only they're new.

It will happen to the Nolan films when the franchise gets restarted again. It's not a side-effect of anything other than the nature of Batman. Because he is ongoing, so will his legacy in live action also be. And while fans will remember Burton's films, to the public at large, the film isn't any more notable than any of the others.

It isn't impossible for Burton-film related merchandise to come out, but it's very specialty nature will keep it from being anything but more obscure collector-oriented material. As I said, the films would be less removed from public consciousness if the franchise wasn't restarted. If the Burton films still mattered in the film continuty as a whole, then people would have reason to remember them and keep them in their minds.

B89 was revolutionary, but what it did, Superman: The Movie already did it 11 years prior, so THAT one will be remembered with a legacy unto itself, extending beyond the Superman legacy as a whole, even if the Superman film continuity is rebooted.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

I know your a Burton and Batman fan, I dont know how you can say that. Batman 89 will never be forgotten. Classics never will be forgotten.

Look at all the merchindise that has came out years after a movie has been realised. Jaws, Gremlins, Nightmare on Elm St. Back To The Future, Alien/Aliens, Predador, Robocop,
To me Nolans Batman films may have restarted the franchise, but they will never better Batman 89.

Plus you are forgetting Batman is part of a big picture, bigger than the movies I have named above.

And by the way, I dont think they will release action figures, just stautues, and busts maybe. I mean they still sell the 1989 Batmobile!!!

I also saw a small collection of Toys, Joker goon car, Batmobile and Batwing, for sell but it was too dear so I didnt buy it.

I currently have a 7" model of the Jack Nicholson Joker and Keaton Batman in my room standing beside eachother which I bought.

Mon, 23 Jun 2008, 20:46 #13 Last Edit: Mon, 23 Jun 2008, 20:50 by DocLathropBrown
Quote from: Joker81 on Mon, 23 Jun  2008, 20:22
I know your a Burton and Batman fan, I dont know how you can say that. Batman 89 will never be forgotten. Classics never will be forgotten.

I'm trying to be realistic here. B89 is a classic to US. Not to the general populace.

QuoteLook at all the merchindise that has came out years after a movie has been realised. Jaws, Gremlins, Nightmare on Elm St. Back To The Future, Alien/Aliens, Predador, Robocop,

Each film you listed is apart from the sort of ongoing legacy that B89 is a part of. They stand out because they aren't going to be usurped by a more current representation.

Regular films and comic book adaptations are two completely different animals. A comic book adaptation is just a drop-in-the-bucket in the grand scheme of things. It can be replaced because the legacy it's a part of is bigger than the film itself. It's disposable. For it to stick out, the effect it has must be colossal. Popular and successful as B89 was, it doesn't stand out. The 1960s Batman series/film stands out now because A) it was the first Batmania to ever happen on a worldwide scale and B) Its tone is in stark-opposition to the currently accepted public consciousness of Batman.

Superman: The Movie stands out because it was the first real comic book film. It will endure in itself almost seperate from the Superman legacy because of this.

Whereas, while B89 made the most money and caused the second global wave of Batmania.... it doesn't stand out in the grand scheme of Batman adaptations because it wasn't anything new. Everything groundbreaking about B89 was done already... in Superman: The Movie. Had the Superman film franchise not been around prior, yes, B89 would have such notariety as you and I wish it would.

QuoteTo me Nolans Batman films may have restarted the franchise, but they will never better Batman 89.

Same here, but to act as if the rest of the world shares your feelings is foolish. To the rest of the world, B89 is "that one with Jack Nicholson." Not "The best Batman adaptation ever."

QuotePlus you are forgetting Batman is part of a big picture, bigger than the movies I have named above.

Um.... no I'm not. It's the entire basis of my argument.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Mon, 23 Jun 2008, 20:48 #14 Last Edit: Mon, 23 Jun 2008, 20:50 by DocLathropBrown
Quote from: Joker81 on Mon, 23 Jun  2008, 20:26
And by the way, I dont think they will release action figures, just stautues, and busts maybe. I mean they still sell the 1989 Batmobile!!!

Again, Batmobiles are a different animal. Because there's so many of them in the comics and films, it isn't a niche item. It doesn't stand out amongst the crowd. There's much less individualism in the concept of the Batmobile because they're a dime-a-dozen.

To people, it's "A" Batmobile. Not "Burton's" Batmobile.

no its just a classic to us now, but in 20 years time, it will be a cult classic. Mark my words, i'm willing to stick my neck out here and say TDK will not be remembered as much as Batman 89 in 20 years time, and that means Batman will be 40 years old. TDK will be remembered for 'that guy who died before it came out, the guy who played the joker'

As for sculpts and busts of batman 89, ok time will tell.

and by the way, the 1989 batmobile is iconic!!! And still the best to date. No one said it is 'Burtons' batmobile, but it is 'thee' Batmobile created for Batman 89!

And what you were saying about Batman being a legacey on the grand sceme of things, people would consider a nightmare on elm street to be in that same cult status (not as big of course) but they are still producing figures from the various elm street movies.

And I dont know where you getting this Superman the movie stuff from. Yeah it was a breakthrough movie, and could be considered a classic, but you could say without batman you wouldnt have all the dark comic book adaptions since Batman. Batman took a different stance than superman, went a different direction, thats what makes it different.

You could also say without star wars you wouldnt have superman the movie, and without Jaws you wouldnt have star wars......
yady yady yada

Batman stands out in its own right.
You sure your not a Nolan fan?

Mon, 23 Jun 2008, 21:39 #17 Last Edit: Mon, 23 Jun 2008, 21:43 by DocLathropBrown
Quote from: Joker81 on Mon, 23 Jun  2008, 21:03

no its just a classic to us now, but in 20 years time, it will be a cult classic. Mark my words, i'm willing to stick my neck out here and say TDK will not be remembered as much as Batman 89 in 20 years time, and that means Batman will be 40 years old. TDK will be remembered for 'that guy who died before it came out, the guy who played the joker'

Agreed, but only because B89 made a bigger splash in the larger scheme of things. Although, you never know what TDK might do. we both may very well be wrong. I doubt any praise/money/phenomena or what-have-you that TDK could/will cause could touch that which B89 did.

QuoteAs for sculpts and busts of batman 89, ok time will tell.

A much more realistic possibility, but still kind of a pipe dream.

Quoteand by the way, the 1989 batmobile is iconic!!!

To you and me, yes. But to the world at large (There's a pattern to my argument here, try to find it), it's just another Batmobile.

QuoteAnd still the best to date. No one said it is 'Burtons' batmobile, but it is 'thee' Batmobile created for Batman 89!

You seem to assume that the rest of the world feels the way you do. Stop that. I guess my feelers are much more "out in the regular world" than yours are, as I know for a fact that people don't identify the Burton Batmobile any different than any other Batmobile ever made, because they are a dime-a-dozen. The 89 'Mobile isn't special to Joe Q. Public.

QuoteAnd what you were saying about Batman being a legacey on the grand sceme of things, people would consider a nightmare on elm street to be in that same cult status (not as big of course) but they are still producing figures from the various elm street movies.

You're still missing my point. ANOES is unique. B89 (along with BR, BF, B&R, BB and TDK) is just another adaptation of a bigger pop-culture phenomenon. If Batman was not a comic book character and simply a character of film, then yes, B89 would be held in higher regard than any successive films in the franchise. But it's not. It's importance overall is miniscule compared to the primary version of Batman; the comic book version. BB and TDK only get more notice at the moment because they're the new adaptations; the new continuity.

QuoteAnd I dont know where you getting this Superman the movie stuff from. Yeah it was a breakthrough movie, and could be considered a classic,

Obviously, you don't know anything about anything. S:TM was more than just "a breakthrough movie." There had never been a comic book movie before. The 60s Batman film doesn't count.... it wasn't very successful and was merely an extension of the TV series. The film was predicted for disaster and wasn't easy to get started because comic books didn't have the following then that they do now. They weren't respected. It was still at a point when people looked at comic books as kids stuff. So when it came out, the fact that it WAS so good and WAS so serious caused a complete turnaround in the way comic books are looked at, and in how comic books make it to the screen.

If it weren't for S:TM, there would have been NO other comic book adaptations. Previous blockbusters had little-to-no impact on it's relative success or eventual production and release. Just like how Superman himself broke new ground for comic books with superheroes (really, he was the first. The Phantom has no powers), so too did his film adaptation. It is a classic for it's cast, it's reverence and it's impact. It's not an opinion that S:TM is a classic.... it's fact.

Quotebut you could say without batman you wouldnt have all the dark comic book adaptions since Batman. Batman took a different stance than superman, went a different direction, thats what makes it different.

Yes, it's different. To Comic Book Fans. You're not seeing the big picture here. I'm talking about the reaction and feelings of non-obsessive fans. People who may like the characters but have probably never read any of the comics, nor knows anything beyond what the films inform them about. Average people. To average people, B89 sticks out in their minds no more than any other comic book film.

B89 only had to break the shadow of the 60s TV series. S:TM already did all of the hard work for comic book films as a whole, THAT's why B89 isn't so damned important. It's an important benchmark in the detailed history of Batman, sure. In decades to come, obviously, it will be the first mentioned and the only mentioned in detail in the "films" section of any Batman encyclopedia. But in the abbreviated Batman history, it's no more important than any of the other Batman adaptations in recent years.

QuoteYou sure your not a Nolan fan?

How one-dimensional. I am a BATMAN fan, and I enjoy all versions. Just because I'm not blind from reality doesn't mean I hate B89 and am some kind of hidden Nolanite. If you knew anything about my history at SHH!, I'm notoriously anti-Nolan when the sentiment is anti-Burton.

Learn to think beyond the simple and idiotic ideal of black and white. You're thinking like a "snobby Nolanite" (to emulate your style of thinking), that it's either "with or against."

DocLathropBrown
Gothamite

Proud "Burtonite"  ???????????????????????????????

Quote from: Joker81 on Mon, 23 Jun  2008, 21:46
DocLathropBrown
Gothamite

Proud "Burtonite"  ?

And your point is?

Playing by the rules of the idiots, if you like Burton's films more than Nolan's, you're a "Burtonite." So be it. And I'm proud to be one. If "Burtonite" is supposed to be some people's badge for uncool or strange people, then I will wear the badge with pride.