Burton Trilogy

Started by DarkHeart, Fri, 18 Sep 2009, 02:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Okay, so, I know that Batman 89 is suppose to be viewed as a standalone Batman feature, but how do you think a Burton trilogy would have turned out if trilogies had been the norm back then?  What if Burton and Keaton would have been hired from the get-go to do a planned trilogy?  I think that would have been very interesting.  Any thoughts?

Johnny Depp would play the Mad Hatter:

Jon Peters had the intention of doing a trilogy from the start.

I wonder why they didnt?

I dont want to knock Burton, or Batman Returns, but I wonder why they didnt follow the same format as Batman and continue the story in Batman 2, filming at Pinewood.

I have heard the story why, but I dont understand the reason why they decided to take the diversion they did.

Quote from: Joker81 on Sat, 19 Sep  2009, 21:30
I wonder why they didnt?

I dont want to knock Burton, or Batman Returns, but I wonder why they didnt follow the same format as Batman and continue the story in Batman 2, filming at Pinewood.

I have heard the story why, but I dont understand the reason why they decided to take the diversion they did.

Burton was apparently a little dissatisfied with the first Batman (goodness knows why) and wanted the follow-up to be considered a separate distinct film rather than a direct sequel (although the writers of 'Returns' still managed to throw in some references to the first film - including Selina's ref to Vicki Vale).  In any case, I like to regard 'Returns' as a sequel even if Burton doesn't.   ;D
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Yeah I am the same Johnnygobbs. But some elements to it I dont like.

I know his reasons why. Though sometimes I think its a shame WB didnt follow up Batman with a more continuous sequel

In some ways Batman forever is the final film in the trilogy batmans claim that "im batman not because i have to be but because i choose to be" stuff is like him finally getting rid of his demons (as far as he can he will always be effected in some way) and embracing his role as defender of gotham on his terms rather then a permanent guilt trip because of his parents murder.

But in more ways its not.  Keaton is the best actor to don the suit and the movie was far to light hearted at times (carey is a great comedian but his riddler was to comical and we all know how poor twoface was.

I can just imaging if BF was filmed by Burton, had keaton reprise his role, the sets where in the B89 style gotham and the movie was not so comical and light at times as schumachers film it could have been amazing stuff imo.

I would have liked to have seen a third Burton Batman film, with Keaton, Gough and Hingle and maybe a few other members of the previous two films (ideally Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent), but perhaps with a slightly different vibe to either Batman or Batman Returns, allowing all three films to differentiate themselves.  I think it would have been odd if Burton had made a direct sequel to Returns bearing in mind that the first two films were not directly related.

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I think that's the catch though. Burton was not under contract for a sequel and WB could have just hired another director to go along with Sam Hamm's script that Burton threw out. The best part about that would be that they could have stayed at Pinewood, but I still love what we got.

Then, assuming that version of Returns (Hamm's story made by another director) was made and successful, they could have carried on with the third one in a similar vein, just without Tim Burton.

Yeah, it would've sucked if Burton only made the one movie but for the sake of the third one, (dare I say) it would've been worth it, IMHO.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 19 Sep  2009, 23:37
I would have liked to have seen a third Burton Batman film, with Keaton, Gough and Hingle and maybe a few other members of the previous two films (ideally Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent), but perhaps with a slightly different vibe to either Batman or Batman Returns, allowing all three films to differentiate themselves.  I think it would have been odd if Burton had made a direct sequel to Returns bearing in mind that the first two films were not directly related.

Complete agree man!
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.